Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Real Scandal Behind the Toyota Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
Default The Real Scandal Behind the Toyota Recall

Fuzzy findings, media manipulation, and tort lawyers scare the public and destroy millions in shareholder and resale value, writes Ed Wallace
Oh, and about that drop in Toyotas' resale value? According to the National Auto Research Black Book, which covers prices of vehicles sold at regional wholesale auctions each week, a one-year-old Toyota Camry CE dropped $100 in value from Feb. 1 to Feb. 8. And it had dropped $400 in average value from the Jan. 11 book.

However, looking at a one-year-old base model Honda (HMC) Accord coupe in the same book, we find it too dropped $100 in value from Feb. 1 to Feb. 8, and $500—or $100 more than the Camry—from the Jan. 11 book. So the Honda Accord's reputation is intact, but it actually dropped more in value during this period. For what it's worth, the Nissan (NSANY) Altima seems to have gained a couple hundred dollars in value over the past month.
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...211_986136.htm

- some history on bad media reporting problem, this has not been first or last time, quoting some good info and how when real story comes out, media never covers it equally.
Old 02-16-10, 05:35 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, ever since the first recalls were announced and as subsequent recalls were announced I got the impression that the American media and American automakers were really milking the situation.
Old 02-16-10, 05:56 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great well written article. Thanks for posting. Sadly the media doesn't get people to watch their news reporting unless it's got drama. I'm sure Toyota will bounce back fine.

Unfortunately, I think the auto industry will be experiencing the recall hysteria more often going forward.
Old 02-16-10, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

it's about to get possibly worse as toyota is being investigated for not issuing a recall quickly enough.
Old 02-16-10, 07:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

glad to hear people arent drinking the media kool aid and calling out this story like it really is
Old 02-16-10, 07:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's very interesting regarding the resale values...it puts yet another of the 'reporting' details into perspective.
Old 02-16-10, 07:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for posting this
Old 02-16-10, 07:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The trouble seems never ending. Its a PR nightmare
Old 02-16-10, 08:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's about to get possibly worse as toyota is being investigated for not issuing a recall quickly enough.
I had thought as much after the first Camry incident came about. Then when they dragged it and issued statements about fluke and or driver error, it left me We'll certainly see how this all develops.
Old 02-16-10, 08:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Although this recall is major and not good for Toyota the media does seem to be blowing it out of proportion, I see something new on Toyota's woes every time I go on the Yahoo or AOL homepage. Considering the mainstream media is overwhelmingly supportive of the current administration which is sympathetic to the UAW and the government now owns part of GM and Chrysler I would not be surprised at all if members of this administration are pressuring and encouraging the media to go after Toyota much more then they would if this recall happened to the big 3. Still, if it comes out that Toyota knew about this issue and other issues and chose to ignore it or stall it in hopes it goes away then I can't feel too bad for them and they should be taking some heat.
Old 02-16-10, 11:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article, thanks for posting .
Old 02-17-10, 12:10 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If only this came up earlier. I got a thread locked on Meguiars Online since I kept fighting with a moderator who was an Auto Magazine Editor lol
Old 02-17-10, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Although this recall is major and not good for Toyota the media does seem to be blowing it out of proportion, I see something new on Toyota's woes every time I go on the Yahoo or AOL homepage. Considering the mainstream media is overwhelmingly supportive of the current administration which is sympathetic to the UAW and the government now owns part of GM and Chrysler I would not be surprised at all if members of this administration are pressuring and encouraging the media to go after Toyota much more then they would if this recall happened to the big 3. Still, if it comes out that Toyota knew about this issue and other issues and chose to ignore it or stall it in hopes it goes away then I can't feel too bad for them and they should be taking some heat.
knew about what issue exactly? when it comes to pedal recall, even NTHSA says nobody died from it.

there is no problem with govt being hard on toyota... problem is that they are being hard only on toyota.

corolla had 80 complaints for "vague steering, having to hold steering wheel with two hands"... Cobalt has 1200 complaints about "failure of power steering during driving". GM refused to recall even if they fixed the problem on production line year ago (GM said that they dont consider power steering failure as safety issue, 10 days ago).

and then toyota is hiding problems on corollas ;-)
Old 02-17-10, 06:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the prius complaints were when the car went over bumpy roads "the brakes felt funny"....uh sorry any ABS car will do this when you go over bumpy roads. Stupidity of people amazes me
Old 02-17-10, 08:30 AM
LexFather

You hear that...its the sound of crickets from people who avoid these threads but sling poo in every other one about the recall....

Quick Reply: The Real Scandal Behind the Toyota Recall