Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who will have a big recall first?
Chrysler
13.33%
Ford
13.33%
GM
33.33%
Hyundai
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 05:50 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexus/scion
Old 02-17-10, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The SBC brake systems are old news and was already dealt with by Mercedes, recall already was done.
Unless I was missing something, it wasn't a formal recall as such, although some cars were converted back to standard hydraulics at customer request.

Note: All the newer recently designed cars from Mercedes do not have SBC brake system.
True. But, again, as I understand it, that was by customer research, not Governmental action or mandate.
Old 02-17-10, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, Mercedes or not, the next recall might (?) be Toyota as well. It was announced today that the steering systems of 2009-2010 Corollas are being looked at.

Here it is, folks....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021704843.html

After a search, I didn't see a thread on it, so I started one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 08:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
although some cars were converted back to standard hydraulics at customer request.
Umm, no. Yes, there was a recall and cars are covered up to 10yrs or 100k, some claiming for life which I doubt. Converted? Where do you get this stuff? The SBC is an integral part of the entire braking system. One does not simply convert it to hydraulics. Keep in mind the recall was for a software update which minimized the braking failures considerably though a few still crop up with no followup information on whether the car was 'fixed' or not. Also, the car still has 15% braking even under total failure which should not make anyone very comfortable.
Old 02-17-10, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Umm, no. Yes, there was a recall and cars are covered up to 10yrs or 100k, some claiming for life which I doubt. Converted? Where do you get this stuff? The SBC is an integral part of the entire braking system. One does not simply convert it to hydraulics. Keep in mind the recall was for a software update which minimized the braking failures considerably though a few still crop up with no followup information on whether the car was 'fixed' or not. Also, the car still has 15% braking even under total failure which should not make anyone very comfortable.
Yes, there is emergency braking available if the electrics fail....but that alone wasn't the main issue. The so-called "conversions" were done at customer request....mostly because of customer complaints about either outright failure of the electrics, leaving the emergency backup, or the vague, unconventional feel of the brake pedal when the electrics WERE working properly (the vague, non-linear feel turned a lot of people off). I spoke with a Mercedes service manager on the subject when I was reviewing a new E-Class last year (they had done some right there in the shop), although that particular model was not one of those affected.

BTW, I didn't hear this directly from the Service Manager, but some Mercedes Techs there cautioned against buying any Mercerdes product that was not still under warranty....they work on these cars for a living.
Old 02-17-10, 08:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, there is emergency braking available if the electrics fail....but that alone wasn't the main issue. The so-called "conversions" were done at customer request....mostly because of customer complaints about either outright failure of the electrics, leaving the emergency backup, or the vague, unconventional feel of the brake pedal when the electrics WERE working properly (the vague, non-linear feel turned a lot of people off). I spoke with a Mercedes service manager on the subject when I was reviewing a new E-Class last year (they had done some right there in the shop), although that particular model was not one of those affected.
Sorry, not buying it. I have yet to encounter anyone on any Mercedes board that converted to hydraulics.
There is no such thing as a conversion. Get you facts straight prior to posting. You would have to re-engineer the entire braking system including adding a master cylinder (from what car?)where one did not exist before and integrating the electronic pedal to this. Then add in the ABS system-for what, a few customers? BTW, my SBC brakes actually feel better than most of the cars I have owned, very linear and outstanding from 150mph with precision modulation-a speed I reach at least once a week. These cars are apparently all over the board with this 'feel.' My example has been better than most.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-17-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 08:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The so-called "conversions" were done at customer request..
And where exactly did you come up with this info do? Do you have a source?
Old 02-17-10, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, not buying it. I have yet to encounter anyone on any Mercedes board that converted to hydraulics.
There is no such thing as a conversion. Get you facts straight prior to posting. You would have to re-engineer the entire braking system. BTW, my SBC brakes actually feel better than most of the cars I have owned, very linear and outstanding from 150mph with precision modulation. They are apparently all over the board with this.
Fine, don't buy it.....I couldn't care less. That's your buisness. I talked to some of the people who actually did the work, although it was more of a modification than a big conversion. I've got other things to discuss....and I'm not going to spend all night on this.
Old 02-17-10, 08:59 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Sorry, not buying it..'
I don't buy it either. The dealer and manufacturer will likely not convert the brakes....this in itself would become a safety hazard as the cars were never designed this way.
Old 02-17-10, 09:00 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

although it was more of a modification than a big conversion. .
OK, I want to get your story straight

Modification or conversion???
Old 02-17-10, 09:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Fine, don't buy it.....I couldn't care less. That's your buisness. I talked to some of the people who actually did the work, although it was more of a modification than a big conversion. I've got other things to discuss....and I'm not going to spend all night on this.
It is not about spending your time on this, it is about taking a few bits of information and creating an entire scenario around it. Believe me, if there were a conversion, just about every owner would jump on it. Simple as that. Please stick with the facts. But I do agree with one thing, they SHOULD come up with a conversion for this car as 15% braking in case of a charging/battery issue is very dangerous in such a car.

There are plenty of these examples out there and no company is immune, just that it is now hip to dump on Toyota.
Old 02-17-10, 09:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Unless I was missing something, it wasn't a formal recall as such, although some cars were converted back to standard hydraulics at customer request.
It was a recall. And cars were not coverted back to standard hydralics at customer request, that's hearsay from who knows where. Short answer, you missed something for sure.

I know seveal Mercedes certified master techs and have owned several Benz's plus I have a 2 friends with E-classes with SBC.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-17-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 09:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It was a recall. And cars were not coverted back to standard hydralics at customer request, that's internet hearsay from who knows where.
Well, that's exactly what I asked about at the Mercedes shop. They had dealt with some of the cars (and customers) right there.

Like I told the other posters, though, it's not worth spending all night on. I'm moving on.
Old 02-17-10, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Well, that's exactly what I asked about at the Mercedes shop. They had dealt with some of the cars (and customers) right there.

Like I told the other posters, though, it's not worth spending all night on. I'm moving on.
Short answer either you didn't listen well at the Mercedes shop or the Mercedes shop you visited is not good.

I was just hoping to not spread incorrect facts on CL, since this forum has a good reputation for useful and factual information.

So I will correct this since you won't ("not worth spending all night on"):

1. Over 2 million Mercedes were recalled because of the SBC braking systems.

2. Cars were not converted to conventional hydralic systems.

Sleep is a good thing for all of us, including for me.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-17-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Short answer either you didn't listen well at the Mercedes shop or the Mercedes shop you visited is not good.

Sleep is a good thing for all of us, including for me.
All right, after a night's sleep (I'm glad I'm retired, and, except for Sunday, don't have to get up early any more) , next time I'm at a different Mercedes shop, I'll ask again. I still remember what the first shop told me, but, when I was there, I was actually more focused on the car which, by CL request, I was reviewing (an E63 AMG), which, believe me, is one impressive sport sedan. I was busy enough taking notes on that car that I really didn't have time to get really deep into the electronic braking history with the service people there, and only spoke wth them for a couple of minutes.

Fair enough?

Quick Reply: So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?