Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who will have a big recall first?
Chrysler
13.33%
Ford
13.33%
GM
33.33%
Hyundai
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10 | 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Above sounds good to me, especially the part about visiting a different and better Mercedes shop, obviously not all are created equal. There is nothing to ask, because I listed the Mercedes recall and (non) fix in items 1. and 2. above. Those were the facts, plain, simple and straightforward.

Back on topic, who will be recalling cars next as a followup to Toyota/Lexus and Honda recalls most recently.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-18-10 at 07:39 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-18-10 | 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Above sounds good to me, especially the part about visiting a different and better Mercedes shop, obviously not all are created equal. There is nothing to ask, because I listed the Mercedes recall and (non) fix in items 1. and 2. above. Those were the facts, plain, simple and straightforward.
Facts, though, sometimes don't tell the whole story....only part of it. Manufacturers can, and do, things that are not formerly listed as recalls or extended warranties. They are called "Good Will" repairs, and are not part of formal warranties or recalls. I myself have been the benefit of them on occsasdion...though not with Mercedes.

Back on topic, who will be recalling cars next as a followup to Toyota/Lexus and Honda recalls most recently.
OK, since the Mercedes matter appears to be closed, I'd say that the next recall may not actually be a new one, but more or less an expansion of an existing one......BMW fuel-pump failures. BMW, to their credit, has replacd a number of them free of charge, but the problem seems to be growing.
Old 02-18-10 | 09:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Facts, though, sometimes don't tell the whole story....only part of it. Manufacturers can, and do, things that are not formerly listed as recalls or extended warranties. They are called "Good Will" repairs, and are not part of formal warranties or recalls. I myself have been the benefit of them on occsasdion...though not with Mercedes.
You haven't told us anything we didn't already know and secondly none of this is relevant to the facts stated or changes the facts stated. In short, recall for SBC was done involving 2 million Mercedes cars. No need to dig yourself in deeper here "with the whole story", especially being so offtopic.
Old 02-18-10 | 09:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

OK, since the Mercedes matter appears to be closed, I'd say that the next recall may not actually be a new one, but more or less an expansion of an existing one......BMW fuel-pump failures. BMW, to their credit, has replacd a number of them free of charge, but the problem seems to be growing.
Agreed, now that's on topic for a change. Maybe the BMW owners can chime in on their experience and if they think a recall is pending.
Old 02-18-10 | 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
You haven't told us anything we didn't already know and secondly none of this is relevant to the facts stated or changes the facts stated. In short, recall for SBC was done involving 2 million Mercedes cars. No need to dig yourself in deeper here "with the whole story", especially being so offtopic.
Neither of us are "digging".....we have both covered it pretty well. I agree it is time to move on. An expansion of the BMW fuel-pump issue is not necessarily a given, but considering the number of complaints we've heard even here on CL, a definite possibility if the cross-section of CL complaints is representative of the nation as a whole.
Old 02-18-10 | 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

An expansion of the BMW fuel-pump issue is not necessarily a given, but considering the number of complaints we've heard even here on CL, a definite possibility if the cross-section of CL complaints is representative of the nation as a whole.
I agree, I think CL posters/BMW owners are plentiful and knowledgeable here.
Old 02-18-10 | 09:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I'm sensing BMW might be next......if they don't shape up.

Lexus, so far, is safe (only the IS220d tends to have problems due to the engine that's made in Poland and 5th injector problems)
Old 02-18-10 | 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm sensing BMW might be next......if they don't shape up.
They already seem to be losing some customers to Audi, even if a recall is never done.

Lexus, so far, is safe (only the IS220d tends to have problems due to the engine that's made in Poland and 5th injector problems)
Not every country has the clean, low-sulfur diesel fuel that the EPA (now) mandates in the U.S......Western Europe and some Asian countries do, but many other countries don't. Sub-standard fuel, without good detergents, can play havoc with injectors. I'm not saying that's the case here, but a possibility.
Old 02-18-10 | 11:16 AM
LexFather

I have seen every carmaker mentioned in this thread. Maybe we should start another one with ALL of them?

This was to be about the 4 in the poll.
Old 02-18-10 | 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have seen every carmaker mentioned in this thread. Maybe we should start another one with ALL of them?

This was to be about the 4 in the poll.
OK, if it's one of the 4 in the poll you want, my guess would probably be Chrysler. Admittedly, they don't have any huge, glaring safety problems right now that I know of, but their build/assembly quality and materials, IMO, are quite unimpressive (one of the worst in the industry) and I would not be a bit surprised if safety problems DO show up.
Old 02-23-10 | 04:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by pagemaster
What's all the hate on Hyundai all of a sudden. They have their stuff together and their cars are nice....Last time I checked Hyundai is on the ups while Toyota has time after time pledged cost cutting....
No hate at all. Just pointing out the obvious.

Originally Posted by joe80
I don't get all this 'Hyundai is growing' comment. Hyundai has already grown to become 4th largest in the world. hyun/kia overtook Ford last year. Hyundai is top 5 seller in China and India. They are huge. They don't just operate here in the U.S.
Hyundai is growing. But your statement is a bit contradictory? You don't get that "Hyundai is growing" but you did just make it clear where they are in the world and surpassing Ford.

What is the definition of growth? Lets take a look...

Growth - (n).

1. The process of growing, Full development; maturity.
2. Development from a lower or simpler to a higher or more complex form; evolution.
3. An increase, as in size, number, value, or strength; extension or expansion:

Originally Posted by skylineg35
Hyundai, they have been growing at a rapid pace and putting out products in new segments.
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree, Hyundai is most likely to have the first big recall.
Originally Posted by lex
Hyundai fo sho
Facts are facts...and the predictions here are correct. The next big recall is... Hyundai and the new Sonata!

Last edited by flipside909; 02-23-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-23-10 | 05:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Facts are facts...and the predictions here are correct. The next big recall is... Hyundai and the new Sonata!
Its a pretty minor recall and not major at all. It could be chalked up to early model build issues
Old 02-23-10 | 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But, would you really call this a "big" recall, Ryan? It only involves one vehicle, and only one or two parts in a door assembly. I mean, this is almost nothing compared to what we're seeing right now with Toyota and Lexus.
Old 02-23-10 | 08:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Its a pretty minor recall and not major at all. It could be chalked up to early model build issues
Minor is a voluntary recall or tech.service bulletin. Major is when you put a full on stop sale on a new vehicle.

But, would you really call this a "big" recall, Ryan? It only involves one vehicle, and only one or two parts in a door assembly. I mean, this is almost nothing compared to what we're seeing right now with Toyota and Lexus.
It's big. Sure not as big as what Toyota is facing right now, but be assured EVERY manufacturer is running to their drawing boards studying what they have that is similar to Toyota's issues and finding solutions to fix before the government comes knocking on their door.

I will hand it to Hyundai, they're smart treading lightly behind the path Toyota has carved out. They started early with their issue before it could get any worse. I'm sure Hyundai as with all manufacturers are learning from Toyota's mistakes. It's good lesson for all.
Old 02-23-10 | 08:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

It's big. Sure not as big as what Toyota is facing right now, but be assured EVERY manufacturer is running to their drawing boards studying what they have that is similar to Toyota's issues and finding solutions to fix before the government comes knocking on their door.
I am not so sure about this. At Toyota, I really believe that when all is said and done, we will find out that Toyota USA ignored the issue, and as what the president is about to say, Toyota focused on growth over anything else.

As for the other automakers, the professors did say that he could not replicate the Toyota issue in other cars by other manufactures

Quick Reply: So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?