Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who will have a big recall first?
Chrysler
13.33%
Ford
13.33%
GM
33.33%
Hyundai
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 09:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not so sure about this. At Toyota, I really believe that when all is said and done, we will find out that Toyota USA ignored the issue, and as what the president is about to say, Toyota focused on growth over anything else.

As for the other automakers, the professors did say that he could not replicate the Toyota issue in other cars by other manufactures
Lets see what the upcoming hearings say about this whole issue. All companies are focused on growth and market share. There's no two ways around it...Toyota is not the only one that has this in mind.

What professors do you speak of? The only professor that made statements today was David Gilbert a teacher of automotive technology at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The other person that was next to him was Sean Kane, a president of a consumer advocacy group.

Do we know that they even tried to replicate the Toyota issue? As a matter of fact, Kane was hired to do reasearch for 5 lawfirms with suits against Toyota. Kane is paying Gilbert to find ways to fault the throttle controls system. So far it's all focused on Toyota as the monetary support is coming from Kane....which in turn is sponsored by the lawfirms suing Toyota. Do you really think they had time to research other companies throttle controls systems? I beg to differ.
Old 02-23-10, 09:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Lets see what the upcoming hearings say about this whole issue. All companies are focused on growth and market share. There's no two ways around it...Toyota is not the only one that has this in mind. .
I can't speak for all companies, some companies are obsessed with growth and market share right now while others are more focused on making sure they make the same level of profits...not all companies are the same but yes growth and market share and paramount.

What professors do you speak of?
typo by me. Should of been professor.
Old 02-23-10, 09:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I can't speak for all companies, some companies are obsessed with growth and market share right now while others are more focused on making sure they make the same level of profits...not all companies are the same but yes growth and market share and paramount.
Do you know this for a fact? Do you work for a car manufacturer? Unless you do, you or I really don't know the real agenda...even if you see leaked confidential propaganda. Businesses are not in the business to break even or "make the same level of profits" That's a unsuccessful business in that sense. There is no denying every company in the world is looking to unlimited growth and maximizing profits. Economics 101. Supply and Demand. It's very basic. I personally have a bachelors in Business Economics...but it doesn't take a degree holder of any sorts to figure that out.
Old 02-23-10, 09:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Do you know this for a fact? Do you work for a car manufacturer? Unless you do, you or I really don't know the real agenda...even if you see leaked confidential propaganda. Businesses are not in the business to break even or "make the same level of profits" That's a unsuccessful business in that sense. There is no denying every company in the world is looking to grow and profit. Economics 101. Supply and Demand. It's very basic. I personally have a bachelors in Business Economics...but it doesn't take a degree holder of any sorts to figure that out.
Well, my company for a fact will not allow any growth in Canada until 2011. The agenda right now for my comapny is to make sure that we are making the level of profits (not less) that we were making before the recession hit. We embarked on a cost cutting venture, minor layoffs and minor restructuring.

Yes, growth is important right now, however my company will not spend any money to gain market share or growth...the most important initiative in my company right now is keeping profit levels at pre recession levels. Revenue and growth come second to profit right now.
Old 02-23-10, 10:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well, my company for a fact will not allow any growth in Canada until 2011. The agenda right now for my comapny is to make sure that we are making the level of profits (not less) that we were making before the recession hit. We embarked on a cost cutting venture, minor layoffs and minor restructuring.

Yes, growth is important right now, however my company will not spend any money to gain market share or growth...the most important initiative in my company right now is keeping profit levels at pre recession levels. Revenue and growth come second to profit right now.
What company is this or what industry does this relate to, just curious?
Old 02-24-10, 12:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

i dont think anyone will have any serious recall anytime soon.. LaHood is on the path to make all Toyota's on the road 100% safe.
Old 02-24-10, 12:41 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

No hate at all. Just pointing out the obvious.

Hyundai is growing. But your statement is a bit contradictory? You don't get that "Hyundai is growing" but you did just make it clear where they are in the world and surpassing Ford.

What is the definition of growth? Lets take a look...

Growth - (n).

1. The process of growing, Full development; maturity.
2. Development from a lower or simpler to a higher or more complex form; evolution.
3. An increase, as in size, number, value, or strength; extension or expansion:

Facts are facts...and the predictions here are correct. The next big recall is... Hyundai and the new Sonata!
my point is hyundai has ALREADY GROWN to be the legit power house in the world. bigger than Honda and Ford. and if you go by the definition then more than half of the car companies are still growing.
Old 02-24-10, 01:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
my point is hyundai has ALREADY GROWN to be the legit power house in the world. bigger than Honda and Ford. and if you go by the definition then more than half of the car companies are still growing.
hyundai is quite big - 4th or 5th? (together with Kia)
Old 02-24-10, 02:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I will hand it to Hyundai, they're smart treading lightly behind the path Toyota has carved out. They started early with their issue before it could get any worse. I'm sure Hyundai as with all manufacturers are learning from Toyota's mistakes. It's good lesson for all.
The problem is Hyundai is following Toyota not just in this aspect, but in many other aspects. As I said, imitation will only get you so far. To be a world-class company, you have to be a leader, not a follower.