Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who will have a big recall first?
Chrysler
13.33%
Ford
13.33%
GM
33.33%
Hyundai
40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Default So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?

Well as you know GM, Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler all had ads and offers to try to get Toyota customers to trade in their cars due to the recall fiasco....

We all know its not a matter of if, but WHEN will one(all) get a big recall.

Honda I have to give a big thumbs up to since they know EVERYONE gets recalls (hell they just had 2) and didn't position itself against Toyota, even acknowledging Toyota is the "face" of Japanese brands.

So which one first?

Old 02-16-10, 08:31 PM
skylineg35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai, they have been growing at a rapid pace and putting out products in new segments.
Old 02-16-10, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?
My guess is probably Mercedes, with those awful, electro-hydraulic brakes. In the vehicles where they have been installed, they've been a disaster since Day One. Mercedes has already converted, at customer request, a number of those cars to a conventional, full-hydraulic system.
Old 02-16-10, 09:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, Hyundai is most likely to have the first big recall.
Old 02-16-10, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lextron
Hyundai - without a doubt.

They are growing so fast, they will make a few mistakes.
I'm not sure I agree. Hyundai, unlike Toyota, has found a way to both grow AND keep the quality level up. Based on build quality alone, right now, I would choose several Hyundai products over equivalent ones at Toyota.
Old 02-16-10, 09:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I agree. Hyundai, unlike Toyota, has found a way to both grow AND keep the quality level up. Based on build quality alone, right now, I would choose several Hyundai products over equivalent ones at Toyota.
There is no way to "cheat" here so to speak. While it may seem Hyundai has kept up the build quality at first glance, it is the little details that Hyundai is not focusing on when growing so fast.

Fact is, you cannot grow that fast, AND be profitable, AND keep up quality, AND still focus on all the little details. Even if you have government backing like Hyundai does, you just can't maintain all of these things.

As we all know, Toyota has suffered problems growing that fast over the past decade. Are we supposed to assume that somehow Hyundai won't suffer these problems if they continue growing this fast?

Hyundai last year had some recalls on a few models regarding severe corrosion problems on suspension subframes. These were not old Hyundai models either, but some more recent models released in the past several years, no more than 4-6 years old.
Old 02-16-10, 10:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There is no way to "cheat" here so to speak. While it may seem Hyundai has kept up the build quality at first glance, it is the little details that Hyundai is not focusing on when growing so fast.

Fact is, you cannot grow that fast, AND be profitable, AND keep up quality, AND still focus on all the little details. Even if you have government backing like Hyundai does, you just can't maintain all of these things.

As we all know, Toyota has suffered problems growing that fast over the past decade. Are we supposed to assume that somehow Hyundai won't suffer these problems if they continue growing this fast?
Hyundai has a advantage, though, that most other automakers don't....an abundant supply of relatively low-cost labor. That has one of the key factors in how and why the company can deliver a lot for a comparatively low price.....although Hyundai/Kia prices, recently, have indeed been rising.
Old 02-16-10, 11:09 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got 5 on GM...
Old 02-16-10, 11:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

What's all the hate on Hyundai all of a sudden. They have their stuff together and their cars are nice....Last time I checked Hyundai is on the ups while Toyota has time after time pledged cost cutting....

I also would not rule out a large Lexus recall...it seems the recalls are mostly North America based, but surely something must be going on over in Japan
Old 02-16-10, 11:21 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Fact is, you cannot grow that fast, AND be profitable, AND keep up quality, AND still focus on all the little details.
You ever hear of a company called Apple?
Old 02-16-10, 11:32 PM
madoka
Pole Position

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100217/..._crash_auction

A car being shown at a north Georgia auto auction plowed into the crowd and sent a dozen people to the hospital, including at least six with serious injuries.

Georgia State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright says the accelerator apparently stuck as the car was being driven into the auction hall for dealers to bid on it Tuesday night. Six people were airlifted to hospitals with serious injuries, while eight more were driven to local hospitals. Thirteen were treated and released at the Blue Ridge Auto Auction, in Ellijay.

Wright didn't have any more detailed information on injuries, but no deaths were immediately reported.

The Gilmer County Sheriff's office says the car involved was a Volvo. The state patrol is investigating, but Wright said it was too early to speculate on whether charges could be filed.
Old 02-16-10, 11:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai has a advantage, though, that most other automakers don't....an abundant supply of relatively low-cost labor. That has one of the key factors in how and why the company can deliver a lot for a comparatively low price.....although Hyundai/Kia prices, recently, have indeed been rising.
That same labor force is also a disadvantage. Hyundai's low-cost labor force has a history of volatility with Hyundai management.

Originally Posted by madoka
You ever hear of a company called Apple?
We're obviously talking about automakers here, and not electronics companies.

Speaking of Apple, I wouldn't exactly call their quality tops. Many of their products offer mixed reliability/quality, with some of their products being quite fragile.
Old 02-16-10, 11:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm going to say BMW because I don't like them
Old 02-17-10, 12:08 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda/Acura
Old 02-17-10, 12:21 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka

The Gilmer County Sheriff's office says the car involved was a Volvo. The state patrol is investigating, but Wright said it was too early to speculate on whether charges could be filed.
Blame the Cullens - yes, this is a Twilight reference...

Quick Reply: So who is going to have the first big recall after Toyota?