Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(cheapshot): For your consideration: Alternatives to Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 11:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Disagree. Pre-2005....It was the norm for Toyota to get comments such as "excellent fit and finish", "reliability", "good-value" etc....now it is the norm to hear about Toyota's fit and finish issue (Venza, Sienna) and cheap materials (Tundra/Sequoia/Camry).....time have changed a bit.

In 1999, Car and Driver placed the #1 LX470, #1 GS300, #2 GS400, #3 Toyota Camry in comparo's that same year.
1. Toyota does not control what people buy.
2. I am not talking about five, ten, twenty years ago. Consumer reports recommends based on reliability/quality. I am talking about TODAY.

This is about Toyota, not Lexus. You started the thread and it is about Toyota. Why are you talking about Lexus?

Outside of the Rav4, most Toyotas place midpack in reviews in most magazines.

Old 02-18-10, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Consumer Reports still likes the Corolla (notwithstanding the current question with the power steering). They have consistantly given it good marks and ranked it at or near the top of the small-car class, along with the Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, and Mazda3. Of course, enthusiasts don't care much for the Corolla (even the XRS model) because of its appliance-like road manners.
Old 02-18-10, 01:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. I am not talking about five, ten, twenty years ago. Consumer reports recommends based on reliability/quality. I am talking about TODAY.

This is about Toyota, not Lexus. You started the thread and it is about Toyota. Why are you talking about Lexus?

There was a period of time there in 2007-2008 where CR said they will not assume a Toyota is reliable when it is first released, they said they will make sure that the car proves reliable before the recommended goes ahead. In the past, Toyota would of got an automatic reliability recommend.
Old 02-18-10, 01:18 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Not 100% true. Yes people control what they buy, but people will usually flock to the better vehicle when all things are considered. If Toyota puts out a very high quality/well tested car compared to whatever else it out there, then demand for the car will skyrocket.

Toyota controls their own destiny....put out inferior product and nobody will buy....put out something really good..then people will flock to it

I have noticed a trend..most of the lastest Toyota's are not really sales successes, they are good but they are not exactly flying off the lots like the used to.....This is usally a sign of design that is not head and shoulders above the rest.

The Avalon will not be a sales success at all. It will do ok.
Old 02-18-10, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There was a period of time there in 2007-2008 where CR said they will not assume a Toyota is reliable when it is first released, they said they will make sure that the car proves reliable before the recommended goes ahead. In the past, Toyota would of got an automatic reliability recommend.
Although those CR statements, at the time, affected several Toyota models, the main culprit in that case was that CR recommended the current-generation Camry when it first came out, based on its long previous good repair history. That went down the tubes when a number of new Camry V6 buyers got stuck with defective automatic transmissions. Ordininarily, it would not have been really that big of a deal (all manufacturers, of course, slip up occasionally), but in the Camry's case, you're talking about a car that sells in B-I-G numbers. A lot of Camry buyers, even those with OK trannies, got concerned, and the reputation of the magazine (and, of course, Toyota) was affected.

But not with me. I still, for several reasons, consider CR to have the best auto-reliability data in the buisness. While I rely at least partly on my own reviews in evaluating a car, I stick to CR like glue when it comes to reliability trends.....even though it is not perfect, I've yet to find a better source.
Old 02-18-10, 03:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although those CR statements, at the time, affected several Toyota models, the main culprit in that case was that CR recommended the current-generation Camry when it first came out, based on its long previous good repair history. That went down the tubes when a number of new Camry V6 buyers got stuck with defective automatic transmissions. Ordininarily, it would not have been really that big of a deal (all manufacturers, of course, slip up occasionally), but in the Camry's case, you're talking about a car that sells in B-I-G numbers. A lot of Camry buyers, even those with OK trannies, got concerned, and the reputation of the magazine (and, of course, Toyota) was affected.

But not with me. I still, for several reasons, consider CR to have the best auto-reliability data in the buisness. While I rely at least partly on my own reviews in evaluating a car, I stick to CR like glue when it comes to reliability trends.....even though it is not perfect, I've yet to find a better source.
4WD Tundras and some Lexus GS models affected the reputation as well.
Old 02-18-10, 03:49 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the article because there are was a report today that both undecided buyers and traditional Toyota buyers are considering other brands - especially Ford, Honda, and Hyundai. Most folks look at car buying like buying a fridge - they want a reliable unit with enough room and the right color. Folks have been hearing lots of anti-Toyota stuff (whether real or not) and are looking for other brands to consider.
Old 02-18-10, 06:00 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I have the luxury of being a happy Lexus owner but I don't have the luxury of using the ignore feature here.

Please continue with these threads and posts. I won't leave the Abe Lincoln quote......
No need to ignore, I am not trying to offend or upset anyone.

When all things are considered; price, reliability, materials, performance etc...usually the design is the deciding factor. If someone sits a Mazda next to a Toyota next to Ford next to a Hyundai, they are all equal and very close....just look at the powertrains...they are all so close. As for reliability, almost everyone is good for 5 years and 100k miles nowadays.

Ten years ago, Toyota designs were far ahead of North American and Hyundai

As for Lexus owns everyone in the marketplace except BMW/MB and Audi. BMW/MB and Audi are all very close with design usually being the deciding factor..however Lexus owns Cadillac, Infiniti and Lincoln. This is why Lexus is the leader is sales
Old 02-18-10, 09:34 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
what a pointless article they printed
Amen. What a worthless article. They must be desperate for something to fill their pages. Maybe next week they can run a list of all the car companies selling cars in the U.S. That'll be very useful.