Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Someone stole my centre plastic rim cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 12:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone stole my centre plastic rim cap

Someone stole my plastic centre rim cap off my truck and Toyota want $115 to replace just one....The guy at the dealer said "it not just a center cap" when I snickered at him when he told me the price....I said "yeah, it must be pretty expensive plastic"

Anyways,

My question is.

Any damage from living with out the centre cap? The black metal hub cover is exposed...should I be worried about corrosion or anything getting in there because there is no cap...?

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 02-20-10, 12:46 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all over ebay for $15.

Are you sure you asked for the right part? I have to call up the dealer where I got my FJ just for fun to see because that is ridiculous.

What year tundra \ wheel size?

If they have the part for like $25, I will buy it and sell it to you for $65 shipped, almost half price
Old 02-20-10, 12:50 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
They are all over ebay for $15.

Are you sure you asked for the right part? I have to call up the dealer where I got my FJ just for fun to see because that is ridiculous.

What year tundra \ wheel size?

If they have the part for like $25, I will buy it and sell it to you for $65 shipped, almost half price
It was a 2003 Tundra, 17" rim....Yeah I asked for the right part, I couldn't believe it.

I will have to check ebay

I am just worried if any corrosion can happen or if I can live with out the cap
Old 02-20-10, 12:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah should be able to pick them up on ebay, even the chrome ones. Save the $$
Old 02-20-10, 01:17 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

My buddy a 2003 Tundra and the caps use to fly off all the time. Hit a pot hole and "pop" off it came. Not sure what wheels he or you has.
Old 02-20-10, 04:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

So does anyone know if I really need the covers or is it strictly cosmetic?
Old 02-20-10, 04:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i called for a center cap for my SC and they wanted $64 for that damn thing at a lexus dealer
Old 02-20-10, 04:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread is laughable. In Brooklyn, when someone steals your center cap, you just steal someone else's center cap

/thread
Old 02-20-10, 04:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

also -- I'd try this online toyota parts dealer....

http://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/
Old 02-20-10, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Someone stole my plastic centre rim cap off my truck and Toyota want $115 to replace just one....The guy at the dealer said "it not just a center cap" when I snickered at him when he told me the price....I said "yeah, it must be pretty expensive plastic"

Anyways,

My question is.

Any damage from living with out the centre cap? The black metal hub cover is exposed...should I be worried about corrosion or anything getting in there because there is no cap...?

Thanks for the help in advance
If you carry a Comprehensive clause on your auto insurance, you can make a claim for the new part, based on theft/vandalism (which is covered under the comprehensive clause, along with damage from fire, weather, etc....

Of course, much depends on your deductible. If you have a higher deductible on your policy than the part will cost (even if a Toyota shop wants the full $115), then, of course, don't bother....you won't have a legitimate claim. But if you have a zero Comprehensive deductible, consider having insurance replace it for you......that's what you are paying them for. By the laws in most states, Comprehensive claims will NOT raise your insurance rates or cause you to be penalized, especially if they are few and far between.
Old 02-20-10, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
This thread is laughable. In Brooklyn, when someone steals your center cap, you just steal someone else's center cap

/thread
lmfao@!!! Broooooklyn ZOo!!!!

Old 02-20-10, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

/thread
Theft and vandalism are never laughable, IMO....no matter who is doing it or where it happens.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lmfao@!!! Broooooklyn ZOo!!!!

Gotta admit, though, Mike....that's a funny card.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 07:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Funny story, but back in the early mid 90ies, my uncle had a 1986 Taurus, and so did someone else on his block. Between the two Tauruses, they both had only seven center caps, and they kept stealing one from each other over and over, until his son (my couzin) stole one at a remote location

I know this isn't gonna be approved by many here, but its funny as hell
Old 02-20-10, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Funny story, but back in the early mid 90ies, my uncle had a 1986 Taurus, and so did someone else on his block. Between the two Tauruses, they both had only seven center caps, and they kept stealing one from each other over and over, until his son (my couzin) stole one at a remote location

I know this isn't gonna be approved by many here, but its funny as hell

If my memory is correct (which, though generally sharp, is not always the case), some early Taurus models back then (those without alloy wheels) had bolt-on wheel covers that fastened down with the wheel lugs. You couldn't "steal" the center-hubs or caps without first unbolting the lugs or literally breaking off the covers themselves.
Old 02-20-10, 07:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If my memory is correct (which, though generally sharp, is not always the case), some early Taurus models back then (those without alloy wheels) had bolt-on wheel covers that fastened down with the wheel lugs. You couldn't "steal" the center-hubs or caps without first unbolting the lugs or literally breaking off the covers themselves.
I don't remember if that car had alloys or hubcaps, but the center cap was definitely removable.

I just realized I made a mistake, their car was 1989, not 1986. But regardless, it was the first generation model.

Quick Reply: Someone stole my centre plastic rim cap