Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler legal turns into school yard bully over use of Ram logo

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 12:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96

How many schools do you think use a horse logo and/or call their team The Mustangs? I'm thinking hundreds.
*cough* Cal Poly *cough*

I'm thinking this is just a coincidence and Chrysler should just drop this. They - or the Fed have bigger things to worry about.
Old 02-22-10, 12:59 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares about Chrysler's trademarks? It's not like any rational person would buy their products anyway?

Even though I'm a US taxpayer and therefore a Chrysler stakeholder, I'd still rather see them go under and go away forever.
Old 02-22-10, 01:09 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Who cares about Chrysler's trademarks? It's not like any rational person would buy their products anyway?

Even though I'm a US taxpayer and therefore a Chrysler stakeholder, I'd still rather see them go under and go away forever.
+1 If they disappeared it wouldn't bother me - except for all the jobs lost by hard working folks.
Old 02-22-10, 01:25 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMax96
+1 If they disappeared it wouldn't bother me - except for all the jobs lost by hard working folks.
Many of them don't even work all that hard (especially their marketing and product planning/management people-- I know this from first-hand experience). And they're delusional if they feel installing wheels or radios on an assembly line is a rewarding career and secure path to retirement. And before anyone accuses me of being an insensitive douche, I lost my job last year when my company's US operations were shut down. So I know how it feels. Just the way it goes in a free economy.

Chrysler's existence is pointless, just like this lawsuit. I was a Comm major, so I know how important it is to protect free speech, and extensions of that, like intellectual property and trademarks. But Chrysler's trademarks are worth about $3 at best. NO ONE WANTS THEIR CRAP! lol
Old 02-22-10, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If Chrysler went away forever I would not even blink . They make poor quality vehicles and they bully high schools now too. I really hope CNN could get a hold of this story to embarrass Chrysler a bit
Old 02-22-10, 04:03 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can understand both sides of the argument. Logos are highly prized representations of a company's image. If you've missed the style guide for Coca-Cola, it is about the size of a major metropolis' telephone book, with every sign, truck logo, point-of-sale card, and letterhead, not to mention the bottles and cans logos described in exquisite detail. Paint one a millimeter off and you're hosed. Copy one within a wide range of dimensions and you're sued. Corporate attorneys are on retainer and they need to justify their rather large paychecks, so occasionally they go pee on your post just to mark their territory.

I agree, the school logo isn't even close to the "Dodge Ram" logo, but it's a nice outing for the suits who need to prove to their bosses they're on the job. What these Shylocks don't realize that the action of a large multinational corporation dragging a high school into court probably does more damage to the brand than they could ever imagine.

A quick Google of ram high school mascot gets me over 118,000 hits - on images alone. Most of them are much closer to the MoPar logo than LMHS's. I wonder if the Chrysler lawyers are preparing suits against any other team mascots. Probably not.

Chrysler needs some new attorneys - some that won't make them look like public asses . . . or rams.
Old 02-22-10, 04:25 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Many of them don't even work all that hard (especially their marketing and product planning/management people-- I know this from first-hand experience). And they're delusional if they feel installing wheels or radios on an assembly line is a rewarding career and secure path to retirement. And before anyone accuses me of being an insensitive douche, I lost my job last year when my company's US operations were shut down. So I know how it feels. Just the way it goes in a free economy.

Chrysler's existence is pointless, just like this lawsuit. I was a Comm major, so I know how important it is to protect free speech, and extensions of that, like intellectual property and trademarks. But Chrysler's trademarks are worth about $3 at best. NO ONE WANTS THEIR CRAP! lol

Didn't we repeatedly beat this horse to death last year?
Old 02-22-10, 06:36 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess, my former high school will be on the list to get sued too...

https://www.edline.net/pages/Edgewood_High_School