Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear USA (updated with trailer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 05:49 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear USA (updated with trailer)

Interesting news on the Top Gear USA front — Adam Carolla has said that the BBC is working with the History Channel to bring the show to the channel. He revealed this on the latest episode of his CarCast podcast. The Top Gear discussion begins about 12:30 in, but it’s worth listening to the whole podcast if for nothing more than hearing a classic Lamborghini Miura start up.

http://www.finalgear.com/news/2010/0...story-channel/
Old 02-20-10, 08:33 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Even though they make a USA Top Gear it will never be like the British Top Gear. James May is awesome!
Old 02-20-10, 08:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

we need a show with some kick *** cars
Old 02-20-10, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

As much as I would love to see an American version of Top Gear it will never match the original. Im sure the American version will involve more guns, explosions, and half naked women.
Old 02-20-10, 10:34 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As much as I would love to see an American version of Top Gear it will never match the original. Im sure the American version will involve more guns, explosions, and half naked women.
... and a lot of biased and one sided reviews based on who's paying for sponsorship.

The only way I can see this working is if car companies are not allowed to sponsor the show... because as we've seen in some of the Top Gear episodes, they can be rather brutal when it comes to specific cars.
Old 02-20-10, 10:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The guys that make the British Top Gear was in charge of the American Top Gear (at least for the pilot), and the people that were at the taping were very pleased with how funny it was
Old 02-20-10, 10:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One of my favorites is Chris Harris.
Old 02-21-10, 09:04 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
The guys that make the British Top Gear was in charge of the American Top Gear (at least for the pilot), and the people that were at the taping were very pleased with how funny it was

Top Gear isn't about funny. The humor is purely incidental. The show is supposed to be about cars.
Old 02-21-10, 09:47 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Faymester
Top Gear isn't about funny. The humor is purely incidental. The show is supposed to be about cars.
Have you seen the old episodes when it was just the cars with Jeremy and Richard and not being funny? The show wasn't very entertaining.
Old 08-10-10, 02:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default First official TOP GEAR USA trailer !!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/07/v...-u-s-top-gear/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzBcQ...ayer_embedded#!

You all know that the long-awaited U.S. version of Top Gear is headed to The History Channel, and now it's time to get your first taste of the show. The first trailer for the show is online, and if it's any indication, Tanner Foust, Rutledge Wood and Adam Ferrara are going to win over viewers, and the program will not stray from the BBC original's successful formula of cool tests and zany challenges.

In fact, one of the new show's challenges is the trailer's centerpiece. In involves the hosts determining the best $1,000 car by putting a trio of them through a punishing "moonshine run" dirt course. The ride selected for the teaser is Ferrara's, the airborne 1976 Cadillac Deville Calais seen above (it could be a '75, but we're pretty certain that's the '76 grille pattern). How does a malaise-era Caddy handle a landing after catching that much air? About as well as you'd imagine - this isn't the make-believe world of '70s cop shows, after all. It's hilarious.

Bottom line: The hosts exude great chemistry and the motoring action is pretty much everything you'd want and expect from a program calling itself Top Gear. Still under wraps, however, is the Stig. The suspense is killing us. This looks like a completely fun show.

seems like its in the works and going to be aired sooner than later. These guys will never be the real trio from TOP GEAR, but it will do for the guys who want more car shows.
Old 08-10-10, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It will probably suck. Top Gear Australia was painful to watch, Top Gear Russia was pretty bad and is discontinued, Top Gear USA will most likely suck as well.
Old 08-10-10, 02:44 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It will probably suck. Top Gear Australia was painful to watch, Top Gear Russia was pretty bad and is discontinued, Top Gear USA will most likely suck as well.
agreed...

there's but only one Jeremy Clarkson....can't reproduce the best!
Old 08-10-10, 02:47 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

have some faith. maybe it'll be decent
Old 08-10-10, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not really interested
Old 08-10-10, 03:23 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
not really interested
Couldn't agree more. I have never opined for an american version of Top Gear, most likely, because I knew it would never work. There is something special about the UK version of Top Gear and I believe that alot of that "special feeling" stems from the relationship that the three hosts have with eachother. They might as well bill this as an american version of Fifth Gear because that's what it feels like. Richard, Captain Slow, and Jezza have a certain mix, a comradery, that is such a critical element of the Top Gear experience that this show is probably doomed from the start. At least if Adam Carolla had been on the show we would have had some laughs, however, without him, I give this one season before it is axed.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA (updated with trailer)