Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$23.4 million against Ford, yet very little media attention.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 08:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default $23.4 million against Ford, yet very little media attention.

While people are concerned if the CEO of Toyota will come to congress, one woman will never move again due to her Ford. Where is the media exposure over this?

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. -- A California jury has awarded a woman $23.4 million in a civil judgment against Ford Motor Co. for a 2007 freeway accident that left her a quadriplegic.

Cynthia Castillo lost control of her 1997 Ford Explorer when the tread separated from her left-rear tire as she was driving.

Her attorney, Brian Brandt, says the SUV veered off the freeway and rolled three times down an embankment, leaving Castillo's legs and most of her body paralyzed. Brandt says flaws in the vehicle's design causes it to lose control when the tire tread separates.

An attorney for Ford says the accident was caused by a worn-out tire.

A jury returned Thursday with a unanimous verdict in Castillo's favor.
(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 02-20-10, 08:55 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's a lot of money ford coughed up
Old 02-20-10, 09:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Hmm I remember that story. Whatever the reason may be, I'd generally just stay away from the 2nd Gen Explorer. My 03' is great tho, no probs
Old 02-20-10, 10:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

First, my sympathy for this poor woman and what she had to go through, regardless of the vehicle/tire design or who is at fault. I hope she has as normal a life as is possible under these circumstances. Other than that, I won't comment on the ruling, or whether it should stand, because we may not know the whole story...or at least as much as the jury did.

But one interesting thing....the Ford attorney says it was a worn tire. Aren't vehicles routinely safety-inspected in CA? Unless one drives a huge number of miles between inspections, a tire in bad enough condition to self-destruct should easily be spotted by the state inspector (though some impending signs can be internal, under the tread, and not easily visible).

Older Explorers, in a well-publicized recall involving earlier roll-over problems, were supposed to have the trouble-prone Wilderness tires replaced with a tire less-subject to belt failures. We don't know, from the story, if her vehicle ever got those newer tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 10:15 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never consider a mammoth Ford SUV ever (unless it's an Escape).
Old 02-20-10, 10:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I had a blowout at 85mpg or so a short while ago in the Maxima way out in the desert. Very controlled and I was able to pull over. Granted the Maxima's center of gravity is much lower, I understand that, but still...very controlled. I drove the old Explorer's. They were scary even with good tires. I have blown two tires in the AMG, of course controlled. I have also lost two tires in my Tundra-again, well behaved. Not to single out Ford here, but auto companies as a whole could do so much more even in today's vehicles to make their products safer.

Incidentally, I also blew a tire on the baby STROLLER the same day. Just replaced the inner tube today.
Without a doubt, my luck with tires has never been strong.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-20-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 10:30 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
While people are concerned if the CEO of Toyota will come to congress, one woman will never move again due to her Ford. Where is the media exposure over this?

Because this is not news... it's olds...

Explorer roll-over stories have been done and buried. And... as Marshall said, most of the accidents were caused by faulty tires and not faulty mechanics on the Explorer. If the owner did not know BY NOW that they had faulty tires in the recommended Firestones and did not move to a different brand, that's their own dumbass fault.

She gets no sympathy from me...
Old 02-20-10, 10:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I had a blowout at 85mpg a short while ago in the Maxima way out in the desert. Very controlled and I was able to pull over. Granted the Maxima's center of gravity is much lower, I understand that, but still...very controlled. I drove the old Explorer's. They were scary even with good tires. I have blown two tires in the AMG, of course controlled. I have also lost two tires in my Tundra-again, well behaved. Not to single out Ford here, but auto companies as a whole could do so much more even in today's vehicles to make their products safer.

Incidentally, I also blew a tire on the baby STROLLER the same day. Just replaced the inner tube today.
Without a doubt, my luck with tires has never been strong.
I'm assuming that, as an intelligent and knowledgeable car owner, you drive with the vehicles loaded within recommended limits, proper tire PSIs, and road speeds for the tire's rating. You mention that your problems were in the desert......heat is one of the main causes of tire failure, although, granted, your stated tire failure happened in February, and I'm also assuming that, at this time of year, heat was not a significant factor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-10 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 10:45 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
Because this is not news... it's olds...

Explorer roll-over stories have been done and buried. And... as Marshall said, most of the accidents were caused by faulty tires and not faulty mechanics on the Explorer. If the owner did not know BY NOW that they had faulty tires in the recommended Firestones and did not move to a different brand, that's their own dumbass fault.

One could also argue that she is to blame for driving a Ford with a poor suspension geometry allowing for horrible handling. Either way, one does not expect their tire to blow, and if so, to lose complete control. Of course many factors come into play such as maintenance, driving skills, etc...
Old 02-20-10, 10:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3

as Marshall said, most of the accidents were caused by faulty tires and not faulty mechanics on the Explorer.
Probably faulty PSI's, more than the tires themselves. Among other factors, that was part of the original problem....Firestone and Ford couldn't agree on recommened PSI's, because of ride-quality issues.

Even if she WAS somewhat negligent (which we don't know for sure), it's hard not to have at least some sympathy for someone in that condition. To be chained to a wheel chair for the rest of one's natural life is not a pleasant prospect to deal with, even with a $23M award. Money can't buy back her health.
Old 02-20-10, 10:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even if she WAS somewhat negligent (which we don't know for sure), it's hard not to have at least some sympathy for someone in that condition. To be chained to a wheel chair for the rest of one's natural life is not a pleasant prospect to deal with, even with a $23M award. Money can't buy back her health.
Agree, very sad for anyone to be placed in this condition regardless of the cause.
Old 02-20-10, 10:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

because this is ONE accident due to a bad tire, vs. a recall of MILLIONS of vehicles?

your hatred of ford is showing again.
Old 02-20-10, 10:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because this is ONE accident due to a bad tire, vs. a recall of MILLIONS of vehicles?
Tell her that.

It is so well deserved.
Old 02-21-10, 12:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

70+ people died due to the Ford tire problems, which is 14x more than mats in Toyota cars.

And those cars are still unsafe to drive today.

Ford recalled 15 million cars due to them catching fire as recently as 4-5 months ago... but those are small numbers.

LaHood stated 2 days ago that his agency will not rest, until every Toyota is safe. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
Old 02-21-10, 12:20 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

it doesnt even matter if ford was at fault or the woman. its just really unfortunate to hear that a human being will never be able to walk again. 23 mill can be passed onto her children and grandchildren, after all health care expenses, but i think she'd be willing to pay all that and then some to get the use of her legs and walk again. it makes me more appreciative with each day that i am able to fully live and experience life.

Quick Reply: $23.4 million against Ford, yet very little media attention.