Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Cooper S, anyone own or owned one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 06:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mini Cooper S, anyone own or owned one?

I haven't checked CR yet for reliability but curious if anyone here has one and what their experience has been it.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-22-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 08:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy has the regular (non-S) Clubman.

She's only 4'9" and loves it. We traded driving from San Francisco to L.A. during a trip last year.

However, being a 5'10" 200lb car enthusiast; it was too insufficient, too small, too uncomfortable, too slow, too loud, too unrefined, and too temperamental. It handled well for a FWD car, but you can do better with a Honda Civic or Mazda 3.
Old 02-22-10, 11:35 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper S. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Superb handling.
2. Easy to park.
3. The dual moonroof was a nice feature.
4. Free maintenance for 4 years (just like BMW)

CONS: 1. Rattles, rattles, and more rattles. I took the car back to the dealer on six
different occasions to fix the numerous rattles. The dealer would provide a
temporary fix, but eventually the rattles would come back. The rattle on
dashboard was especially loud....and very embarrassing to me whenever I
had other people in the car.

2. The six speed automatic would often fail to upshift into sixth gear, even
when I was cruising at highway speeds.

3. The warning lights on the dashboard would light up whenever I hit a
pothole or bump in the road.

4. The run flat tires made the car feel like it was riding on bricks.

5. The interior in general had a very cheap and plasticky feel. It is not a very
warm or inviting interior.

I would not buy another Mini Cooper.
Old 02-22-10, 11:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scgt652
I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper S. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS: 1. Superb handling.
2. Easy to park.
3. The dual moonroof was a nice feature.
4. Free maintenance for 4 years (just like BMW)

CONS: 1. Rattles, rattles, and more rattles. I took the car back to the dealer on six
different occasions to fix the numerous rattles. The dealer would provide a
temporary fix, but eventually the rattles would come back. The rattle on
dashboard was especially loud....and very embarrassing to me whenever I
had other people in the car.

2. The six speed automatic would often fail to upshift into sixth gear, even
when I was cruising at highway speeds.

3. The warning lights on the dashboard would light up whenever I hit a
pothole or bump in the road.

4. The run flat tires made the car feel like it was riding on bricks.

5. The interior in general had a very cheap and plasticky feel. It is not a very
warm or inviting interior.

I would not buy another Mini Cooper.
good info!!

......but even my 08 Prius has tons of dash rattles...1 by 1 I'm cramming pieces of foam rubber and eliminating them.

oh and I would only get a 6 speed manny

I'm actually trying to get my local dealer to let me rent one of their loaners for a week....we'll see.
Old 02-22-10, 12:37 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
good info!!

......but even my 08 Prius has tons of dash rattles...1 by 1 I'm cramming pieces of foam rubber and eliminating them.

oh and I would only get a 6 speed manny

I'm actually trying to get my local dealer to let me rent one of their loaners for a week....we'll see.
I would definitely ask the dealer to let you rent one for a week. I made the mistake of buying mine after a 10 minute test drive. I initially fell in love with the awesome handling, and I failed to overlook all the other shortcomings of the car. I would also recommend that you drive it on a hot, humid day. My Mini had the supercharged engine, and the acceleration was noticeably sluggish in hot, humid weather. I am not sure if the new turbocharged engines are any different.

I would also avoid the run flat tires. They make the ride unbearable. I have driven a Corvette with run flats, and it felt like a Lexus LS460 compared to the Mini Cooper.
Old 02-22-10, 12:52 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scgt652
I would definitely ask the dealer to let you rent one for a week. I made the mistake of buying mine after a 10 minute test drive. I initially fell in love with the awesome handling, and I failed to overlook all the other shortcomings of the car. I would also recommend that you drive it on a hot, humid day. My Mini had the supercharged engine, and the acceleration was noticeably sluggish in hot, humid weather. I am not sure if the new turbocharged engines are any different.

I would also avoid the run flat tires. They make the ride unbearable. I have driven a Corvette with run flats, and it felt like a Lexus LS460 compared to the Mini Cooper.
I think all forced-induction 4's are going to feel the same in those conditions...hot, humid weather + A/C compressor drag = sluggish performance. I know, I live in coastal South Carolina and have a turbocharged Subaru.

No replacement for displacement or more cylinders under those conditions...so that's what your Vette is for.
Old 02-22-10, 01:00 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I had cooper s and the car was great. If you shifted quick enough the tires would chirp from 1st to 2nd and then again to 3rd. It handled like it was on rails!! The car was so bad *** I loved it. It made a great dd ufornuatly the ride was terrible and i scratched my bumper on almost every speed bump and I bumped my head against the roof on every pot hole.
Old 02-22-10, 03:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought mini was one of the worst for reliability rankings.
Old 02-22-10, 03:18 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 17 year old brother got one last year. He only has like 15k miles, but it seems pretty reliable and it is more fun to drive than my Lexus. Only issue he had was replacing the a run flat two times.
Old 02-22-10, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I thought mini was one of the worst for reliability rankings.
According to Consumer Reports (which I consider the best reliability data available), results have been mixed. For non-turbo models, it has been average; for turbo models, worse than average. That applies to both the regular-length and the longer Clubman models. The engine's cooling system and general body hardware have been noted trouble spots.
Old 02-23-10, 09:26 PM
proximal
Driver

I traded my IS350 for a Cooper S Clubman a year and a half ago. It has 20k miles on it now. Very, very entertaining car for daily driving and it's reasonably practical too. Couple notes if you are looking around for one:

1. The turbocharged ones have an issue with a cold start rattle. A TSB was issued to fix this recently; it's something with the timing chain tensioners. I haven't had this issue on a recurring basis like a lot of people but I'm using a thinner oil (German Castrol) than the factory fill.

2. Turbocharged cars still have a hood scoop even though the intercooler is front mounted (supercharged ones used a top mount). The scoop is plastic and tends to melt. Replacement is covered by warranty and there is metalized plastic replacement part that's coming out soon. Alternately, you could get a heat shield or ram air intake that actually uses the scoop.

3. First gen cars had issues with leaking engine mounts. There are solid rubber ones available that eliminate the issue.

4. First gen also had an issue with mushrooming of the front shock towers. Solved with reinforcement or camber plates.

5. The windows are frameless and dip when you open the door. One of mine stopped doing that, but it was easy to reset.

6. Newer cars (05-06 first gen and all second gen) have much better interior quality.

7. Run flats are horrible. Ditch them and get a patch kit/AAA. Improves ride, handling, noise.

8. Can't speak for the regular Cooper, but the Clubman has plenty of room for 4 people. I've never had a problem with people getting in the back or complaining once they are back there. When you fold the back seat, the floor is flat. I fit an 88 key Yamaha digital piano, in box, in the back with room to spare.

9. I live in LA where the roads are not so good and my Friday commute is two hours worth of traffic. It's not the most comfortable car in the world for this, but to me the trade off is so very worth it.

Hope this helps. Here are a couple pictures of my Clubman. It's awesome and I love it.

Old 02-24-10, 12:32 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I leased a 2006 Mini Cooper S about 3 years ago. I was in the market for a nice little daily driver to retire my turbo SC300 from daily use.

It was a fun little car, and I'd recommend anyone to at least drive one once in their life if you like driving at all. It's quick, nimble, and just a blast.

However, it was easily the most poorly put together, cheap interiored, unreliable car I have ever driven. Working on it was an absolute nightmare. Modding it sucked. I hated everything about owning it minus the actual drive.

At 18,000 miles, the suspension bushings fell out and the power steering cooling fan shorted. At was at this point that I was fed up and sold the lease (for profit) to a nice fellow in NC.

It was the car I loved, yet hated. Will I ever do it again? No. Do I regret driving one? No. But I got a great deal on the lease (practically stolen) and I actually sold the lease later on.

Whatever you do, do NOT own one of these out of warranty. Remember, BMW dealerships are the guys that are fixing your car and selling you your parts. And don't think they treat you like royalty in BMW dealerships. I was treated very poorly in my local dealership and that was a contributing factor in selling my lease.

I can offer you a damn fine alternative if you're open to hear any. Get yourself a 2009+ VW GTI with the TSI motor. The GTI is far superior to the MCS in every way, with the exception of handling and brakes. It's faster, better built, nice padded dash/interior, easier to work on, bigger, nicer to mod, easier to drive, and a $600 chip gets you 300ft/lbs of torque.

And all of that for less money. I am much happier in the GTI than the MCS.

The VW is a much better experience, and by a lot. Go check it out at least, you owe yourself that. The Veedubs have come a long way, and CR rates this car highly.
Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper S, anyone own or owned one?-mini-resize.jpg  
Old 02-24-10, 12:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Great info guys!!!!!!! Thanks

I was thinking of a 07 or 08 with the 7yr/100k warranty
Old 02-24-10, 12:55 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Many MINI owners will argue that the 07's (R56) have lost the go-kart characteristics of the 1st gen. (R53). They are bigger, heavier, and more comfortable, which kind of kills the original on-rails vibe of the R53.

I suggest you drive both to be sure you choose the car that suits you best. Take note if they have runflats or not when you do. They make the ride suck. I took mine off as my first mod.

As you may also already know, the newer generation is turbocharged while the older one is supercharged. They both drive and feel quite different along with making different noises.

As a pro, an open element air filter in the supercharged models yields a very rewarding s/c whine.
Old 02-24-10, 05:52 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Many MINI owners will argue that the 07's (R56) have lost the go-kart characteristics of the 1st gen. (R53). They are bigger, heavier, and more comfortable, which kind of kills the original on-rails vibe of the R53.
The R56 is about 2 inches longer than the R53, but actually about 20 pounds lighter. Still go kart-like, but a more substantial go kart. Agree on trying both though, they are noticably different even if they are variations on the same theme. Interesting that you found it a pain to mod, most people I know are able to get decent power and reliability. Mods (chips, tuning) for the Turbo are just coming out.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S, anyone own or owned one?