Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow Mike, great unbiased review.
Thanks, Mike. I wanted to get to it ASAP after the big blizzards here.....several people were waiting for it.

Seems like its going to sell even more in fleets
Yep...........SOMETHING's got to fill in while all those rental Camrys are getting their pedals fixed.
Old 02-23-10, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review Mike of an interesting car, a good read.

IMO, the internet chatter about rear headroom is overblown and unlikely to have a significant impact on sales. Most likely the bold styling of the car will win more sales than it loses. I checked out the seating last Saturday at the local dealership and found it to be competitive in this class of cars and plenty roomy. The manufacturers' published rear seat headroom specs for the leaders in this class are all very similar (Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata). The longish wheelbase of the new Sonata allows for a large rear seat area with a elongated roofline.

The value, style, performance, fuel economy, refinement, reliability, etc. will have much more impact on potential sales. Let's see if the new Sonata sales can exceed 10K per month which was the previous version's run rate, I'm guessing it will.
Old 02-23-10, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice review Mike of an interesting car, a good read.
Thanks. In general, I was more impressed with it during the review than when I first saw it in the static displays at the D.C. Auto Show last month.

IMO, the internet chatter about rear headroom is overblown and unlikely to have a significant impact on sales. Most likely the bold styling of the car will win more sales than it loses. I checked out the seating last Saturday at the local dealership and found it to be competitive in this class of cars and plenty roomy. The manufacturers' published rear seat headroom specs for the leaders in this class are all very similar (Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata). The longish wheelbase of the new Sonata allows for a large rear seat area with a elongated roofline.
True.....but not everyone on the Internet chatter is the same physical size as me or 1SICKLEX. Both of us are well over 6 feet tall (and I'm stocky as well...an ex-football lineman), so we're both somewhat sensitive to things like headroom, legroom, ease of entry/exit, and, in my case with my huge size-15 shoes, gas/brake pedal spacing. You mentioned the Fusion. It, and its Milan twin, also had somewhat of the same problem with the rear roofline/headroom for guys my size. Despite the published specs, I didn't notice it as much on the Camry and Accord....they seemed better-accomodating of big people.

Of course, to be honest, I myself drive alone up front much of the time, or with just one passenger up front, so rear-headroom is usually of little use to me personally. I only check it, and, mention it in reviews, for those who DO sit in back seats. In my Outback, I use the rear seat mostly for bags and packages.

The value, style, performance, fuel economy, refinement, reliability, etc. will have much more impact on potential sales. Let's see if the new Sonata sales can exceed 10K per month which was the previous version's run rate, I'm guessing it will.
Two things might help it, despite the lack of a V6. First, the standard four has pretty good spunk for a non-turbo four, and, Second, both turbo and hybrid versions (supposedly) will join it, later in the year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 02:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Two things might help it, despite the lack of a V6. First, the standard four has pretty good spunk for a non-turbo four, and, Second, both turbo and hybrid versions (supposedly) will join it, later in the year.
Since I haven't driven it yet, I wonder about the refinement of the 4-banger.

What's your take on the smoothness, NVH, and refinement of the 4 banger against some of the benchmarks like 4 banger Camry, Accord, new Malibu?
Old 02-23-10, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What's your take on the smoothness, NVH, and refinement of the 4 banger against some of the benchmarks like 4 banger Camry, Accord, new Malibu?
It seems to idle as smoothly/quietly as the better Toyota/Honda fours (or even V6s), but, under acceleration, there's a noticeable amount of chuffle noise (probably from the exhaust), and a small amount of vibration. It's not as quiet as most V6s under acceleration. I would expect the upcoming turbo version to be somewhat more so, since it will be putting more pressure inside the engine block and be developing more power.
Old 02-23-10, 07:45 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep...........SOMETHING's got to fill in while all those rental Camrys are getting their pedals fixed.
LOL, good one!
Old 02-23-10, 10:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice review.

I spent a lot of time in this vehicle at the Philly auto show a couple weeks back. I pretty much agree on everything here. I was completely taken back at how well crafted and put together the interior is. Even the door slammed with a nice heavy thud. I liked that!! And the interior is pretty roomy. I actually had to move my seat up to reach the pedals which is very rare for me. I do find the exterior to be pretty cool looking. They do need to tone down the chrome grill though.

Next to Hyundai was Toyota and I walked right over to check out the Venza and was appalled at how "budget" it felt in comparison. Three different textures of hard plastic, overly soft seats, light tiny doors, misaligned trim. Honestly, after that back to back comparison Im completely sold. Hyundai got me!
Old 02-24-10, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Nice review.
Thanks.

I spent a lot of time in this vehicle at the Philly auto show a couple weeks back. I pretty much agree on everything here. I was completely taken back at how well crafted and put together the interior is. Even the door slammed with a nice heavy thud. I liked that!! And the interior is pretty roomy. I actually had to move my seat up to reach the pedals which is very rare for me. I do find the exterior to be pretty cool looking. They do need to tone down the chrome grill though.
Yep...it's gotten to where Hyundai is offering Honda-type craftsmanship.....at a lower price. There's still a few cost-cutting points, though....the insultingly cheap, flimsy bolt-on plastic wheel covers, for example, which are chintzy even by lower-price standards.

Perhaps that is not such a bad idea, though, as wheel covers take quite a beating from road debris and winter salt, dirt, abrasives, etc.... At some point, most of them get to where they get unsightly and have to be replaced anyway.

Next to Hyundai was Toyota and I walked right over to check out the Venza and was appalled at how "budget" it felt in comparison. Three different textures of hard plastic, overly soft seats, light tiny doors, misaligned trim. Honestly, after that back to back comparison Im completely sold. Hyundai got me!
The Venza's quality and craftsmanship is actually somewhat better, IMO, than that of some other recent Toyotas....and, in some versions, has nice wood-tone trim inside. It also offers several things that are not available on the Sonata....AWD, a V6, and the versatile hatchback/wagon body style. Its biggest drawback, IMO, is the ridiculously large 19" and 20" wheels, which, IMO, not only look out of place, but could make for some rather expensive tire replacements. Even the Toyota people at the D.C. Auto Show admitted that they might have been overdone.
Old 02-24-10, 10:48 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

great job! always love your review!
Old 02-24-10, 05:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm no Hyundai fan, but they beat Toyota AND Honda, to the punch on DI 4 bangers. Not too long ago it was hard to imagine a NA 4 cylinder making ~200hp. With the upcoming turbo-4 on the Sonata, Hyundai is starting to really make noise in the market!
Old 02-24-10, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
great job! always love your review!
Thanks, joe. The next planned one, at CL request, is the VW GTI.
Old 02-24-10, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
I'm no Hyundai fan, but they beat Toyota AND Honda, to the punch on DI 4 bangers. Not too long ago it was hard to imagine a NA 4 cylinder making ~200hp. With the upcoming turbo-4 on the Sonata, Hyundai is starting to really make noise in the market!
Yes, the 2.4L, 200 HP four DOES make some noise in the market , especially on acceleration. While not the noisiest powerplant out there, you do get engine/exhaust chuffle when you give it some gas. Fortunately, its idle is silky-smooth and quiet.
Old 02-26-10, 04:43 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Test drove today... compared to my V-6 Limited Sonata, loses too much although I liked the handling aspects of the new Sonata better. However, the POS Hankooks on my 09 Sonata are not driver friendly, so as they are close to replacement, should I keep what I have, new skins will no doubt have a huge impact on sriving aspects.

I love the fit and finish of the 2011 Sonata BUT.... it loses a bunch over my V-6. So new Sonata is off, I did not drive the Genesis, though I have driven one previously. I am tempted to tinker with the springs and new rim/tire combo to keep this as my daily driver. It's a tough act to follow

So looks and interior finish= 2011
Drive and open road performance= even
Acceleration and traffic= 2009 V-6

Sound system= 2009 Sonata , NO CONTEST
Old 02-26-10, 04:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hyundai Issues Stop-Sale On 2011 Sonata
February 25th 2010,

Though it's just fresh to the market, Hyundai has alrady issued a recall for its new Sonata sedan.

The Korean automaker has had to issue a stop-sale on its 2011 model after discovering a defective front door latch, possibly requiring replacement. Just as the new vehicles hit dealers, they may be moving back to the factory for the repairs. Hyundai has issued the following statement:

"The [Sonata's] front doors incorporate a convenience feature that allows a locked door to be unlocked and opened by pulling the inside door release handle without first unlocking the door with the inside door lock switch. If a front inside door lock switch is held in the locked position while the inside door handle is pulled to open the door, the door latch may malfunction. If this occurs, the inside door handle will not return to its normal, stowed position and the door latch will remain in the unlatched position when attempting to close the door."

In order to fix the problem, Hyundai will at least only have to focus on the front doors. The feature of being able to open a locked door by pulling on the latch is only available on the front doors, while the back doors still function regularly. Replacement latches are being shipped today, and once they are all installed the stop-sale will be called off.

link: http://69.46.104.138/automotive-news...on-2011-sonata
Old 02-27-10, 04:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Hyundai Issues Stop-Sale On 2011 Sonata
February 25th 2010,

Though it's just fresh to the market, Hyundai has alrady issued a recall for its new Sonata sedan.

The Korean automaker has had to issue a stop-sale on its 2011 model after discovering a defective front door latch, possibly requiring replacement. Just as the new vehicles hit dealers, they may be moving back to the factory for the repairs. Hyundai has issued the following statement:

"The [Sonata's] front doors incorporate a convenience feature that allows a locked door to be unlocked and opened by pulling the inside door release handle without first unlocking the door with the inside door lock switch. If a front inside door lock switch is held in the locked position while the inside door handle is pulled to open the door, the door latch may malfunction. If this occurs, the inside door handle will not return to its normal, stowed position and the door latch will remain in the unlatched position when attempting to close the door."

In order to fix the problem, Hyundai will at least only have to focus on the front doors. The feature of being able to open a locked door by pulling on the latch is only available on the front doors, while the back doors still function regularly. Replacement latches are being shipped today, and once they are all installed the stop-sale will be called off.

link: http://69.46.104.138/automotive-news...on-2011-sonata
Saw this... good, pre-emptive move

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata