Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 07:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
After seeing the Sonata in person its way to big and tall to be coupelike. It seems to offer a lot more room than the CC (which I think looks great). The CC was a 4 seater, I think for 2010 they are offering a rear bench now.
I agree after inspecting it closely and sitting in all 4 seating positions. The Sonata is not a CLS or CC. Rear headroom spec is decent (as published by the manufacturers) when compared to the strong-selling Camry, Accord and Fusion. The Sonata has a longer wheelbase allowing the roofline to be especially long extending the high part well to the rear.
Old 03-01-10, 08:01 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for another in depth and precise review

it is amazing how fast hyundai has improved its products
Old 03-01-10, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
thanks for another in depth and precise review
Thanks. I hope to be doing the VW GTI pretty soon.
Old 03-01-10, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
i think you being a big man has alot to do with your disliking of CC like roofline.
Definitely it is. I'm surprised, though, that at 6' 1", you had no problems. I'm 6' 2"....but big and stocky as well. And my body, though still basically in good shape, is not quite as agile as it was in younger years. For me, getting in and out of the back is like trying to be a Bachman pretzel.

Though the new Sonata, of course, is a family-oriented car, obviously many families have big, tall teens sitting in back....some of them may have to duck their heads and chests way down, too. Of course, they are usually more agile than I am, too.

i thought the rear head room was more than adequate for me. i'm 6ft 1.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-01-10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 10:07 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Sat in one today. My lord was the chemical smell overwhelming. Not a nice, new car smell at all. Was it just the one I sat in or did anyone else notice this?
Old 03-10-10, 10:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't sat in a new car that didn't smell like the factory it was built in.
Old 03-11-10, 01:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Previous 5th-gen Sonata:

New 6th-gen 2011 Sonata:

I didn't even realize Hyundai had changed to conventional trunk hinges until I saw the Edmunds review.
Old 03-11-10, 04:04 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Took another hard look at this yesterday, significant difference between SE and Limited on the handling... but with all the bells and whistles on the Limited...

For the money, nothing close other than the Fusion... Camry and Accord well back in the rear view
Old 03-11-10, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
Sat in one today. My lord was the chemical smell overwhelming. Not a nice, new car smell at all. Was it just the one I sat in or did anyone else notice this?
That is typical of a number of newer Hyundai products....an interior smell that is different from most new vehicles. I don't know this for a fact, but it may (?) be Hyundai's attempt to deal with the issue that most new-car interior odors come from the ge-gassing of vinyls/plastics used in the car's assembly, and can give some people headaches or have other adverse effects. Different types of leathers, of course, also have different types of odors.
Old 03-11-10, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Previous 5th-gen Sonata:

New 6th-gen 2011 Sonata:

I didn't even realize Hyundai had changed to conventional trunk hinges until I saw the Edmunds review.
Good observation on your part. That appears to be cost-cutting. The scissors-type, articulating hinges on the old model are more flexible and take up less space, but cost more to produce and install. They don't impact on luggage space, though, can't hit and scar luggage, and allow the trunk lid to be raised further, up past vertical in some cases. The simpler ones on the new model aren't as flexible, but cost less.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 06:35 AM
LexFather

I wasn't aware of the nice setup on the 5th gen....nice....trunk hinges on a non luxury car are no deal breaker....hell the GS 430 has them

Old 03-11-10, 09:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Variations of conventional hinges are used in Mercedes. They key design feature is how they are enclosed to avoid crushing luggage and trunk contents.
Old 03-13-10, 08:57 PM
ConceptVBS

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Took another hard look at this yesterday, significant difference between SE and Limited on the handling...
This is what I've noticed as well. I just the love the relatively heavy steering on the SE. It makes you second guess yourself if its really electric steering.
Old 03-14-10, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
This is what I've noticed as well. I just the love the relatively heavy steering on the SE. It makes you second guess yourself if its really electric steering.
Early electric power steering units were as numb in feel as a shot of novocaine in the dentist's office (the 1Gen Saturn VUE was arguably the worst example), but, engineers are now getting generally more skilled in fine-tuning the boost-levels. Just like it took some years, back in the 50s and 60s, to get the original hydraulic-boost steering/brakes correct, so will it take a few years now with the electric-boost stuff.
Old 03-14-10, 11:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the 5th gen sonata right now as a rental vehicle and I think its top notch. Its just as good as the 2010 Accord a staff member just purchased. With the new look of the 6th generation I think Toyota and Honda need to be concerned.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata