Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TVR Planning A Comeback

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:33 PM
nolexhere
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed time for pics

Old 02-27-10, 02:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Lotus Exige and Elise's also have no bumpers and they are still selling even now
Lotus petitioned for exemption because they would have had to redesign the entire car to meet standards. They got it barely but I dont think it will happen again. Look at the shape of the new Evora and you will notice they changed the shape to meet requirements. But in reality all Lotus vehicles sold here after 2007 have bumpers and regulated headlight designs

The 2005 Lotus Elise was the first to be sold commercially in the United States, in the summer of 2004. Approval for the Elise, however, required intervention by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) who provided a three-year exemption for the car, as it had failed to meet US bumper and headlight regulations. All Lotus Elise cars manufactured after January 1, 2007 include the new headlights and 2.5 mph (4.0 km/h) bumpers, although they are hidden in the front

II. Why Lotus Needs a Temporary Exemption

Lotus has continued to experience substantial economic hardship, previously discussed by the agency in a March 3, 2003 Renewal of a Temporary Exemption from FMVSS No. 201 (68 FR 10066). *2 Lotus' latest financial submissions show the company's operating loss of [pound]43,228,000 ([ap] $69,000,000) for the fiscal year 2000; a loss [pound]18,055,000 ([ap] $29,000,000) for the fiscal year 2001; and a loss of [pound]2,377,000 ([ap] $4,000,000) for its fiscal year 2002. This represents a cumulative loss for a period of 3 years of [pound]63,660,000 ([ap] $102,000,000). *3

*2 We note that the Elise vehicle is FMVSS No. 201 compliant.

*3 All dollar values are based on an exchange rate of [pound]1= $1.60.

According to the petitioner, the cost of making the Elise compliant with the headlighting requirements of FMVSS 108 and the bumper standard is beyond the company's current capabilities. Petitioner contends that developing and building FMVSS-compliant headlamps and Part 581-compliant bumpers cannot be done without redesigning the entire body structure of the Elise. Specifically, developing Part 581-compliant bumpers would cost $6 million dollars over a period of 2 years. Producing an actual FMVSS-compliant headlamp would cost approximately $1.1 million. In addition, there are unspecified costs of body modifications in order to accommodate the new headlamp, because there is insufficient space in the current body structure to permit an FMVSS-compliant headlamp.

Lotus requests a three-year exemption in order to concurrently develop compliant bumpers and headlamps and make necessary adjustments to the current body structure. Petitioner anticipates the funding necessary for these compliance efforts will come from immediate sales of Elise vehicles in the United States.

III. Why Compliance Would Cause Substantial Economic Hardship and How Lotus Has Tried in Good Faith To Comply With Standard No. 108 and the Bumper Standard

Petitioner contends that Lotus cannot return to profitability unless it receives the temporary exemption. In support of their contention, Lotus prepared alternative forecasts for the next 3 fiscal years. The first forecast assumes that the petitioner receives exemptions from S7 of FMVSS No. 108 and the bumper standard. The second forecast assumes the exemptions are denied. *4 In the event of denial, Lotus anticipates extensive losses through the fiscal year 2006, because it cannot bring the Elise into full compliance any earlier.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-27-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 03:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

check out the shape of the new Evora. They put bumpers on it because they knew they would not be given exemption again.
Attached Thumbnails TVR Planning A Comeback-lotus-evora_main_msp.jpg  
Old 02-27-10, 06:19 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to a Lotus dealer and look at the 2008 and 2009 Exige and Elise, no bumper, no change from 2005 and 2006 exempt models.

When they originally petitioned it, it ended in 2007. Something happened between now and then that still allows them to not have bumpers.

I will actually wait to see if the Evora actually has bumpers or not, there is a similar line on the Elise as well, but its actually an integrated clam that comes off completely, and not a bumper.
Old 02-27-10, 07:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

All Lotus Elise cars manufactured after January 1, 2007 include the new headlights and 2.5 mph (4.0 km/h) bumpers, although they are hidden in the front.

This is taken from wikipedia. The bumpers are "hidden". Checks wikipedia yourself. I am 100% right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elise

as far as waiting to see if the Evora has bumpers it does. Look at the car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elise
Attached Thumbnails TVR Planning A Comeback-dsc_9776_800x600.jpg   TVR Planning A Comeback-lotus-evora-img_2.jpg  
Old 02-27-10, 09:06 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do I need to check wiki when I am looking to buy an Exige and have already extensively tested the Eixge?

The 08 and 09 Elise and Exige does not have bumpers, all it has is a carbon fiber crumble structure in front of the radiator under the front clam, it does not have a bumper. You can base your fact off wiki, while I check the real deal.
Old 02-27-10, 09:16 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They will not be able to sell them in the US because they dont have bumpers. Its not a very safe car as well. It has no ABS, and no traction control according to Jeremy Clarkson so the sourcing of a GM motor will not allow it entrance into the US market
How do you know that the new TVR is going to make their cars exactly like the old one? For all we know they can be attempting to meet US regulations.
Old 02-27-10, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Why do I need to check wiki when I am looking to buy an Exige and have already extensively tested the Eixge?

The 08 and 09 Elise and Exige does not have bumpers, all it has is a carbon fiber crumble structure in front of the radiator under the front clam, it does not have a bumper. You can base your fact off wiki, while I check the real deal.

For the 2007 model year Lotus there were several minor changes made. The LOTUS lettering on the rear of the vehicle, which was previously flat stickers, was changed to raised lettering. The headlamp units were sealed. Also, in order to comply with US Federally mandated bumper restrictions, the frontal crash structure was slightly changed and rear bumperettes were added next to the license plate mount. Approximately 100 2007 model year "launch" cars were shipped to the US without these bumper changes.

Believe what you want but unlike you I have backed up my statements with facts not claims. Thats " the real deal"

Post some pics when you make the big purchase. Congrats in advance on the purchase of a amazing and very unique machine

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-28-10 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 10:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I can easily find 7 different articles discussing the cars hidden bumpers to meet regulations. I guess the real deal is not so real

http://www.carsdirect.com/lotus/exig...xige-insurance

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lotus/2...0-ar79899.html

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Lotus_Elise

http://www.you.com.au/car/lotus_elise.htm

http://www.lycos.com/info/lotus-elise--cars.html

http://www.mywikibiz.com/Lotus_Elise

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Lotus-Elise

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-27-10 at 10:10 PM.