Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TVR Planning A Comeback

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 04:51 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVR Planning A Comeback

Goodwood's annual Festival of Speed is a sort of motorsports Mecca, drawing both human and mechanical heroes across time and continents for a weeklong salute to all things fast and four-wheeled. This year, it's also rumored to play host to the revival of TVR, the now-Russian-owned British marque that has hade some of the most bizarre, brutally fast cars to come off that quirky isle.

The info is teased by TVR itself, with a website being teased as "coming soon." Little in the way of solid details are known about the car itself, though a report from Pistonheads indicates that the car will use an American-sourced V-8 crate engine, from either Ford or GM. Power output is expected to be near 500 horsepower, which sounds more like a crate LS7 engine than anything to us.

It will be rear-drive, seat two, have the engine at the proper--err, front--end, and feature TVR's characteristically fendery, odd-canopied look.

The best news for U.S. gearheads is the rumor that the choice of American-sourced crate engines is predicated on a desire to sell the car here. An already-homologated engine would make the task of doing so a good deal cheaper and easier for TVR.
Whatever the new TVR looks like, or what it's powered by, expect to find out come July when the Goodwood Festival of Speed gets underway the 2-4 of the month.
(Courtesy of Pistonheads via. Motor Authority)

Please sell in N.A!!!
Old 02-22-10, 09:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaaaaak

[/cotter]
Old 02-23-10, 04:00 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car that made me fall in love with cars was the TVR Cerbera that my first boss owned. I had the biggest grin plastered on my face when he took me out for a spin in it.
Old 02-23-10, 11:36 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I <3 TVR but I will be greatly saddened if they drop the in-house 4.0 flat plane crank I6 for an LSx or Ford whatever...gah.

All I want is a Sagaris.
Old 02-24-10, 09:01 AM
nolexhere
Driver

That would be great but I agree with 94 about the engine. I'm tired of people throwing in ls motors and not using their own. TVR made some of my all time favorite cars and although they were not the best they were still amazing.
Old 02-26-10, 10:30 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they do make a revival and similar vehicle to the Sagaris, my all time favorite TVR model. I have a TVR Tuscan computer mouse =D
Old 02-26-10, 10:49 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tzaikun
I hope they do make a revival and similar vehicle to the Sagaris, my all time favorite TVR model. I have a TVR Tuscan computer mouse =D
Wireless one with lit tails & headlights, & buttons for doors? If so, I have the same one. Rarely use it because of issues with rechargable batteries, but I do like it. TVR is one company I'd like to have any car from assuming I could keep it running.
Old 02-26-10, 11:16 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

never liked TVR. saw plenty of them when i lived in london. didn't feel special to me.
Old 02-26-10, 12:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They will not be able to sell them in the US because they dont have bumpers. Its not a very safe car as well. It has no ABS, and no traction control according to Jeremy Clarkson so the sourcing of a GM motor will not allow it entrance into the US market
Attached Images  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-27-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 03:34 PM
nolexhere
Driver

I have seen TVR's in the states before but doesn't mean they were road legal. Didn't remember abs and traction be required?
Old 02-27-10, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Thread needs pics

Old 02-27-10, 08:37 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nolexhere
I have seen TVR's in the states before but doesn't mean they were road legal. Didn't remember abs and traction be required?
I don't think it is a requirement yet. My coworker's wife has a ~2005 Civic that doesn't have abs or traction control. I know traction control is not a requirement yet thankfully, and I'm pretty sure abs is not either.
Old 02-27-10, 09:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The ABS, and TCS is not so much the issue as much as the car is designed with no bumpers
Old 02-27-10, 09:55 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ABS, and TCS is not so much the issue as much as the car is designed with no bumpers
Lotus Exige and Elise's also have no bumpers and they are still selling even now
Old 02-27-10, 12:22 PM
nolexhere
Driver

I thought you were trying to say no abs and traction control added to their illegality. I was going to also say several cars on the market have no actual bumpers.

Quick Reply: TVR Planning A Comeback