Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Most Extreme (performance - power to weight ratio) Luxury Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's hard to argue with the E63 being in first place. I reviewed one a couple of years ago (at CL request), and, even back then (the last-generation model), its 507 HP/465 Ft-lbs. of torque made it perhaps the most powerful stock 4-door sedan I had ever driven....though the new BMW 550 GT [I] reviewed last December, with its 450 ft-lbs. of torque, comes close (and, technically, it is a 4-door hatchback, not a sedan. The E63 was not only a torque monster, but also, to its credit, had more BMW-like steering/road manners than most other M-B products. I didn't actually try this, but the E63 I reviewed, had I turned the traction/stability system off and hammered the throttle from rest, could have probably done a solid quarter-mile burnout with the lower gears. And I understand that the new E63 has even more torque.
the e63, tq is the same, 465, the hp bumped up to 418. drove the car, overall acceleration about the same as previous one, but handling better

HP, though, for quick acceleration, generally doesn't mean as much as torque. Torque is what determines the actual twisting power that comes out of the engine, transmission, and driveshafts to the wheels. HP, what is produced by the combustion in the cylinders, comes more into play in determining ultimate top speed, as, say, on the Autobahn. That's why I emphasized the torque figure, rather than HP, of two of the most powerful sedans I've driven...the E63 and BMW 550 GT.
ummm, i believe hp determines how fast you can go, tq is more about how soon you get there. so for ultimate top speed, if that's the concern, then it's about hp (look at veyron). personally, while tq (and hp, etc...) is an important figure, but i never focus on just one. i always like to use m3/m5 as examples. they both have relatively "low" tq numbers, but no one can deny their speed (due to gearing)

of course i am not putting down the amg cars, their straight line pull is pretty insane
Old 02-23-10, 11:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
but the title was luxury sedans, and the 300 qualifies as that? if so, what's the cut-off for luxury then? leather seats, wood trim, and power stuff?
It's been a luxury sedan, just not a high quality one. There is no exact cutoff to be considered luxury. It doesn't necessarily have to have the nameplate either. In this instance, the 300C is a luxury sedan.
Old 02-23-10, 12:06 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP, though, for quick acceleration, generally doesn't mean as much as torque. Torque is what determines the actual twisting power that comes out of the engine, transmission, and driveshafts to the wheels. HP, what is produced by the combustion in the cylinders, comes more into play in determining ultimate top speed, as, say, on the Autobahn. That's why I emphasized the torque figure, rather than HP, of two of the most powerful sedans I've driven...the E63 and BMW 550 GT.
You'll find that no one disagrees, but the linked list only provided HP numbers - making this kind of a moot point.

I'd also like to add that stating "HP, what is produced by the combustion in the cylinders," is not correct. Engines create torque (not HP), the force which turns the crankshaft. Horsepower is a measure of the amount of work that torque can perform at a specific RPM, and is dependant on the torque as one of it's inputs (it is a function of Torque and RPM). Torque * RPM / 5252 = HP

Last edited by Infra; 02-23-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
You'll find that no one disagrees, but the linked list only provided HP numbers - making this kind of a moot point.

I'd also like to add that stating "HP, what is produced by the combustion in the cylinders," is not correct. Engines create torque (not HP), the force which turns the crankshaft. Horsepower is a measure of the amount of work that torque can perform at a specific RPM, and is dependant on the torque as one of it's inputs (it is a function of Torque and RPM). Torque * RPM / 5252 = HP

Whatever the math formulas, my point was to indicate that the two are not the same, and are primarily involved in different functions of engine performance. Max torque usually comes at a significantly lower RPM than max HP.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the e63, tq is the same, 465, the hp bumped up to 418. drove the car, overall acceleration about the same as previous one, but handling better
Instead of 418, Henry, did you mean the new E63 is bumped up to 518 HP? The last E63 (the one I reviewed) had 507 HP....and, as you noted, 465 on the torque. (and, believe me, it showed).

ummm, I believe hp determines how fast you can go, tq is more about how soon you get there.
Yes...that's pretty much the way I phrased it in the post.

of course i am not putting down the amg cars, their straight line pull is pretty insane
I haven't driven the new M5, but, for it to keep up with an E63, it's certainly got its work cut out for it.