Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Most Extreme (performance - power to weight ratio) Luxury Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 04:43 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top 10 Most Extreme (performance - power to weight ratio) Luxury Sedans

1. Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
Power-to-weight ratio: 7.96 lbs/hp
Because the conventional E-Class sedan is about 175 pounds lighter than its CLS twin, supplying both cars with the same AMG 507-hp V8 should give the E63 slightly better acceleration, though Mercedes claims identical zero-to-60-mph times of 4.3 seconds. Choosing the arguably less stylish E63 saves $7,600, however, and provides the most conservative-looking luxury performance sedan on the market.

2. BMW M5
Power-to-weight ratio: 8.02 lbs/hp
BMW claims that the M5's 5.0-liter, 500-hp V10 uses Formula One technology, and certainly among our 10 extreme sedans, the M5 is the most race-worthy: It's more about high-speed performance and dynamics than sheer torque in a straight line; lap times rather than zero-to-60-mph times. The M5 can be ordered with a sequential-manual transmission or a conventional manual, both six speeds; the latter is far smoother.

3. Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG
Power-to-weight ratio: 8.25 lbs/hp
At $182,275, it's easily the most expensive car on our list, and for that you get a twin-turbo V12 producing 603 hp and a stunning 738 pound-feet of torque, a tsunami of force equaled only by the far more expensive — and far heavier — Bentley Arnage and Maybach 57S. The S-Class sedans are currently the best all-around big luxury four-doors in the world, and the S65 AMG is also the quickest.

4. Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG
Power-to-weight ratio: 8.3 lbs/hp
Mercedes calls this car a "four-door coupe," but we call it a sedan, albeit with less rear-seat space and headroom than the E-Class, whose platform it borrows. Its hand-built engine is a 6.2-liter, 507-hp V8 with superb torque characteristics — not a hot-rodded Mercedes engine, as previous AMG powerplants have been, but AMG's first original design.

5. Cadillac CTS-V
Power-to-weight ratio: 8.77 lbs/hp
A true enthusiast's Caddy, the CTS-V has a 400-hp Corvette V8 with a six-speed 'Vette manual transmission — and an honorable reputation as a race car, albeit in highly modified form. BMW has long been the benchmark in the performance-sedan category, and though the CTS-V hasn't quite stolen the Munich maker's crown, its styling and panache exceed those of the more conservative German sedans.

6. Audi RS 4
Power-to-weight ratio: 8.94 lbs/hp
A base Audi A4 has a 2.0-liter, 197-hp four-cylinder; the RS 4 more than doubles all those numbers with a 4.2-liter, 414-hp V8. It's one of the most extreme sedans on the list. Extensive use of aluminum components and body panels help to balance out weight distribution and give the all-wheel-drive RS 4 superb handling, also thanks to a substantially wider track front and rear that is reflected in its strongly bulged fenders.

7. Cadillac STS-V
Power-to-weight ratio: 9.03 lbs/hp
With a supercharged, 469-hp version of Cadillac's dual-overhead-cam Northstar V8, this is the most powerful production Cadillac ever. But it costs nearly twice as much as the excellent 320-hp STS V8 and doesn't bring any significant benefits beyond the extra power. Performance is impressive, but it can't compete with the Brits and Germans in interior amenities. An STS with a supercharger doesn't merit a $77,485 price tag.

8. Chrysler 300C SRT8
Power-to-weight ratio: 9.79 lbs/hp
For just above $40,000, this is by far the best bargain among super sedans. It is less luxurious and has a rougher ride than the competition, but the comparative harshness adds to its sporty character. At 425 hp and 420 pound-feet of torque its 6.1-liter V8 is the biggest and strongest Hemi engine Chrysler offers. It's mated to a sophisticated, Mercedes-developed five-speed automatic transmission.

9. Jaguar XJR
Power-to-weight ratio: 9.9 lbs/hp
Jaguar's big sedans have distinctive and delightful ride and handling qualities but more snug interiors than some of the competition. The "R" version of the XJ line continues with last year's 400-hp supercharged V8 and six-speed automatic, but we're eager for Jaguar to fit the new 420-hp version and sequential-shift transmission from the all-new XKR sports car.

10. Audi S8
Power-to-weight ratio: 10.19 lbs/hp
A superb balance of luxury, comfort and high performance, this joins the BMW M5 as one of two 10-cylinder cars on our list. It doesn't feel as extreme as some of the sedans and rewards delicate steering, throttle and braking input with precise handling and performance. Its 450-hp engine is based on the Lamborghini Gallardo's V10 block but is thoroughly reworked. Audi's Multi-Media Interface is more effective than competing menu-screen controllers.
Old 02-23-10, 04:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems the LS460 Sport needs another 75-100 HP to make that list.
Old 02-23-10, 05:03 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm....this list is kinda dated. Current CTS-V has 550hp or so. And aren't top of the line Jags now have the 500hp too?

even with s8 on the last place id take that over anything there. In love with a8s interior...
Old 02-23-10, 05:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a Chrysler is on the list the list is bogus
Old 02-23-10, 05:49 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Didn't thing the 300C would have made that list.. THis car does catch my eye.. Are these picks based on HP numbers alone?
Old 02-23-10, 05:56 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BOLLOCKS but sorry the 300C shouldn't be on that list.

Its more like a list of my **** bigger than yours list
Old 02-23-10, 06:10 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rs6 ???
Old 02-23-10, 06:58 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In another year I plan to purchase an Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG (white exterior/black or red interior). I wish I could go back to a Mercedes CL but the price is too steep. I also like the way Jag has stepped up.
Old 02-23-10, 07:09 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

If they include a RS4, then the IS-F should also be on the list. As an owner of one, .
Old 02-23-10, 07:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see why the Chrysler 300 shouldn't be on the list. We're not listing the top 10 best cars or anything. It's the SRT-8 anyways, not the base model. We're talking power-to-weight ratio...an objective comparison.
Old 02-23-10, 07:59 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't see why the Chrysler 300 shouldn't be on the list. We're not listing the top 10 best cars or anything. It's the SRT-8 anyways, not the base model. We're talking power-to-weight ratio...an objective comparison.
but the title was luxury sedans, and the 300 qualifies as that? if so, what's the cut-off for luxury then? leather seats, wood trim, and power stuff?

btw, not personal attack, i'm a little confused with a list with that title and was wondering if other where thinking what i'm thinking when the 300 popped up on that list. i mean if kia made a fast 4dr with luxury-type items... well great! but having the title luxury implies a brand that sells luxury only, not luxury on some versions of some models right?
Old 02-23-10, 08:07 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm....Panamera? Quattroporte?
Old 02-23-10, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's hard to argue with the E63 being in first place. I reviewed one a couple of years ago (at CL request), and, even back then (the last-generation model), its 507 HP/465 Ft-lbs. of torque made it perhaps the most powerful stock 4-door sedan I had ever driven....though the new BMW 550 GT [I] reviewed last December, with its 450 ft-lbs. of torque, comes close (and, technically, it is a 4-door hatchback, not a sedan. The E63 was not only a torque monster, but also, to its credit, had more BMW-like steering/road manners than most other M-B products. I didn't actually try this, but the E63 I reviewed, had I turned the traction/stability system off and hammered the throttle from rest, could have probably done a solid quarter-mile burnout with the lower gears. And I understand that the new E63 has even more torque.
Old 02-23-10, 09:35 AM
LexFather

This is a very old list with old cars
cts has 550hp
xjr has 510hp
s8 is discontinued
rs6 makes 572hp
panemera turbo has 500hp
Aston Martin rapide might make the list

also where is the link to this old article?

Everyone please don't just cut and paste to push an agenda please at least browse what you are going to post.

Old 02-23-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is a very old list with old cars
cts has 550hp
xjr has 510hp
s8 is discontinued
rs6 makes 572hp
panemera turbo has 500hp
Aston Martin rapide might make the list
HP, though, for quick acceleration, generally doesn't mean as much as torque. Torque is what determines the actual twisting power that comes out of the engine, transmission, and driveshafts to the wheels. HP, what is produced by the combustion in the cylinders, comes more into play in determining ultimate top speed, as, say, on the Autobahn. That's why I emphasized the torque figure, rather than HP, of two of the most powerful sedans I've driven...the E63 and BMW 550 GT.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Most Extreme (performance - power to weight ratio) Luxury Sedans