Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM announces that Hummer sale can not be concluded. Brand will be wound down

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 09:09 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Rest In Peace....Hummer...good ridance...see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya...
Old 02-24-10, 09:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proof positive that GM didn't, and never did, know what the hell they were doing...

One deal goes south... Fine, that happens. All THREE deals go south at the last moment, that's just bad management. But, why should that be a surprise with GM's history???

Dissolve the entire company and remove the cancer from the business world.
Old 02-24-10, 09:39 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM is a joke of a company. Saab was ugly. Saturn was cheapy cardboard box on wheels and hummer. I did like the hummi but 15mpg just doesn't do it for me. I'll rather spend the money on a Jeep
Old 02-24-10, 09:42 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hummer is only good for Military applications. Outside of that, it's pretty much *****
Old 02-24-10, 09:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my neighbor had a white hummer with 24" wheels and got rid of it because she said a Chrysler Pacifica had a third row of seats and her Hummer didn't. That blew my mind that a vehicle as large a s a Hummer didn't have a third row ( at least not on her model)
Old 02-24-10, 09:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Proof positive that GM didn't, and never did, know what the hell they were doing...

One deal goes south... Fine, that happens. All THREE deals go south at the last moment, that's just bad management. But, why should that be a surprise with GM's history???

Dissolve the entire company and remove the cancer from the business world.
I've been saying that all along. Let GM fail and the Chinese or the Russians pick them up, or God forbid VW. Chrysler's been going south and apparently their "solution" is to remind people of their glory days of the 1960s and 1970s. It's funny how both VW and GM are wards of the state - VW being a entity of the State of Saxony in Germany, while Washington runs GM. And both are the 2 biggest car brands in China, too.
Old 02-24-10, 10:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was never a fan of the Hummer. I will not miss seeing their big ugly asses on the roads blocking my view and getting literally half the mpg I get and for what??
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-10, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Flavor of the month" a long time ago, well past it's prime now. Done.
Old 02-25-10, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The Hummer is only good for Military applications. Outside of that, it's pretty much *****
Only the Hummer H1, which was designed by AM General, and derived from the classic military version. The H2 and H3 were of civilian origin, basically done off of GM pickup/SUV platforms, as (would) have been the upcoming H4, had Hummer not been would down.
Old 02-25-10, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
GM is a joke of a company.
Go check out the new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura (while the Aura is still on sale), 2Gen Cadillac CTS, 2010 Buick LaCrosse, any Buick Enclave, and even some of the 2007 and later full-size, truck-based SUVs, and then come back and see if you still feel that GM is a joke. The Malibu, especially, is an impressive product.

Saab was ugly.
Ugly, of course, is subjective, but there is little argument that GM's policies did not help the division any.

Saturn was cheapy cardboard box on wheels
The plastic-bodied 1990's-vintage Saturn S-models were some of the most innovative and cleverly-designed compact vehicles ever done....Saturn, along with Lexus, were considered the two success-stories of the decade. In addition, their reliability was consistantly better-then-average, and company's sales/cervice policies were extremely customer-friendly.

The company did not start to go downhill until AFTER they lost sight of their original mission with those nice clever plastic-body cars. Once they tried to start making it into another conventional GM division (which started around 1999-2000), it was all downhill for Saturn from there.

And, a real shame, too. Saturn could have prevented most of this by simply remaining a plastic-body, small-car company, but, sadly, it didn't. The result is now history.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 10:22 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
GM is a joke of a company. Saab was ugly. Saturn was cheapy cardboard box on wheels and hummer. I did like the hummi but 15mpg just doesn't do it for me. I'll rather spend the money on a Jeep
Agreed. Oldsmobile was a flop and died. Pontiac was a flop and died. Hummer was a flop and is going to die. Saturn flopped and died. Saab almost died by GM's control. Opel isn't doing to well either. GM's on a roll and has a great track record with many flops and failures in the automotive industry...
Old 02-25-10, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

lol, here we go again with 90's plastic body Saturns, dead and OT.

Hummers problems were somewhat unique, but all of the divisions being shut down (Hummer, Saturn and Pontiac) did share one thing, the ability to generate losses of billions of dollars.
Old 02-25-10, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was never a fan of the Hummer. I will not miss seeing their big ugly asses on the roads blocking my view and getting literally half the mpg I get and for what??

Only the H1 was really THAT big....and, then, more a matter of width than of height or length. The H2/H3 were smaller, less-bulky, and done off of GM pickup platforms.
Old 02-25-10, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol, here we go again with 90's plastic body Saturns, dead and OT.
Of course they are dead. But they didn't have to die. Wouldn't be the first dumb thing that was allowed to happen in the industry, though. History is full of dumb automotive decisions.

The replacement of the Toyota Tercel with the controversial Echo, was, in some ways, an equally dumb move, though, of course, it did not lead to Toyota's demise....the rest of the company kept growing. Still, Echo sales never matched that of the popular Tercel.
Old 02-25-10, 10:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course they are dead. But they didn't have to die. Wouldn't be the first dumb thing that was allowed to happen in the industry, though.

The replacement of the Toyota Tercel with the Echo, was, in some ways, an equally dumb move, though, of course, it did not lead to Toyota's demise....the rest of the company kept growing. Still, Echo sales never matched that of the popular Tercel.
Could we drift even more offtopic with obsolete, passe, outdated, poor performing products....

Plastic body Saturns met a natural dealth, they were crappy low demand cars at the end.

Note: H2 was described by other posters as "big" is certainly reasonable, giving the 6600 pound curb weight, 203" length, 81" width, 79" height. Another low demand and soon to be dead product.

Quick Reply: GM announces that Hummer sale can not be concluded. Brand will be wound down