Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM announces that Hummer sale can not be concluded. Brand will be wound down

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 10:38 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol, here we go again with 90's plastic body Saturns, dead and OT.

Hummers problems were somewhat unique, but all of the divisions being shut down (Hummer, Saturn and Pontiac) did share one thing, the ability to generate losses of billions of dollars.
Agreed with Hummer, Saturn and Pontiac losing billions of dollars for GM. Those billions of dollars of losses do offset the billions of dollars of income from Chevrolet, Cadillac, etc. but overall the losses far exceeded the income and GM had losses of over $100 Billion over a five year period which was crazy...you don't see that too often. AIG had a net loss of $100 Billion in one year...
Old 02-25-10, 10:54 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an impressive amount of hate for GM going on in here; holy guys, what happened to making constructive comments.

Like mmarshall suggested, perhaps some of you need to go check out the things you're bashing, before you bash.
Old 02-25-10, 10:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM announces Hummer sale can not be concluded, brand will be wound down was the topic originally. On topic, in short a sound business decision.
Old 02-25-10, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Could we drift even more offtopic with obsolete, passe, outdated, poor performing products....
Sure...be glad to.

Plastic body Saturns met a natural dealth, they were crappy low demand cars at the end.
I owned a 1999 SL2....near the end of S-series production. It was anything but crappy, despite the high amount of plastic both inside and outside. If I hadn't been convrted to AWD, I would have wished that I had kept it. However, you're at least partly correct......the plastic-body Ion, which replaced the S-series, WAS a joke.

Note: H2 was described by other posters as "big" is certainly reasonable, giving the 6600 pound curb weight, 203" length, 81" width, 79" height. Another low demand and soon to be dead product.
Well, yes, the H2 was definitely a better candidate for extinction than the Saturn S-series. But, even at 81", the H2 was not as wide as the H1's 86.5" http://www.internetautoguide.com/car.../h1/index.html The H1, BTW, was too wide for many standard parking spaces.....that was one reason, among many, which contributed to its low popularity for on-road conditions.

Back on topic, I'm still not totally convinced, yet, that Hummer is completely dead. Though right now there is little or no evidence of it, they could end up as a low-volume, special-order company like Avanti did after Studebaker did in the mid-60's, perhaps for Third World, off-road contitions that Hummers are best suited for. Avanti carried on for decades as a unique, low-volume, hand-built car, long after its parent company was gone.

But, if Hummer DOES die, so be it. Unlike with Saturn, I won't be shedding any tears if it does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Just when I thought this thread couldn't drift more off topic, the Avanti came up (now that was fun way back then)....

As mass production cars, Hummer H1/2/3, dead.
Old 02-25-10, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just when I thought this thread couldn't drift more off topic, the Avanti came up (now that was fun way back then)....
The Avanti was used only as a comparison ( a special-order, hand-built possibility) to a VERY small chance (amost none) of what could still save Hummer, but I would certainly not bet the rent on it. That, last I checked, was the thread topic...Hummer's future (or death).

As mass production cars, Hummer H1/2/3, dead.
The H1 was dead years ago......that is nothing new. And, I agree that, barring something totally unexpected as I just outlined, the H2 and H3 will probably join the H1 in the graveyard.

And, no, now we'll never get to see what the upcoming H4 would have been like....supposedly, a Jeep Wrangler-competitor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 01:36 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
GM is a joke of a company. Saab was ugly. Saturn was cheapy cardboard box on wheels and hummer. I did like the hummi but 15mpg just doesn't do it for me. I'll rather spend the money on a Jeep
I liked Hummers, but 15 mpg doesnt sound so bad when im get 16.8 to 17mpg in my RX300...
Old 02-25-10, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
I liked Hummers, but 15 mpg doesnt sound so bad when im get 16.8 to 17mpg in my RX300...
But your RX was (most likely) reliable. That can't be said for the average Hummer.
Old 02-25-10, 01:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
The only Hummer that would get comparable mileage of about 14mpg would be the H3 with the straight 5 cylinder engine. The other Hummers, not even close. Hummers are bargain-priced now, new or used.
Old 02-25-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Avanti was used only as a comparison ( a special-order, hand-built possibility) to a VERY small chance (amost none) of what could still save Hummer, but I would certainly not bet the rent on it. That, last I checked, was the thread topic...Hummer's future (or death).
For sure, lol, that's a good stretch., or "almost none" for relevance.
Old 02-25-10, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For sure, lol, that's a good stretch., or "almost none" for relevance.
Well, I said "almost none" because surprises sometimes happen in the auto industry. But, my point was, if Hummer DOES die (and you and I agree it is all but certain) I probably won't be shedding any tears, like I did for some other vehicles.
Old 02-25-10, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I said "almost none" because surprises sometimes happen in the auto industry. But, my point was, if Hummer DOES die (and you and I agree it is all but certain) I probably won't be shedding any tears, like I did for some other vehicles.
For sure, I see your point there.
Old 02-25-10, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The only Hummer that would get comparable mileage of about 14mpg would be the H3 with the straight 5 cylinder engine. .
And, even that would be questionable, or only under ideal conditions, because of the H3's weight, and the fact that the 5-cylinder was underpowered (it was designed for the substantially lighter Colorado/Canyon pickups, whose platform the H3 was based on). So, much of the time, the 5-banger was being driven at a fairly high throttle opening just to keep up with traffic, which uses more fuel.
Old 02-25-10, 02:23 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks! I drove friends H2 and I was hooked. It went through one of the worst snow storms this year on 395 from mammoth Mtn to LA like nothing.
Old 02-25-10, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA8
Sucks! I drove friends hummer and I was hooked. It went through one of the worst snow storms on 395 from mammoth MFN to LA like nothing.

Impressive, yes, but a lot of 4WD trucks, SUVs and AWD vehicles can do that. You don't necessarily need a Hummer just to get through snowstorms. For instance, my Subaru Outback, this month, just laughed at some of the worst snow conditions here in Washington, D.C. history.

Of course, it's true that the big H1, being a military vehicle designed for battle/combat conditions, can get through stuff that few if any other vehicles can, including very deep snow, but the H1 (as discussed earlier in this thread) is quite impractical for day-to-day, civilian driving conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-10 at 02:32 PM.