Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari 599 Hybrid Concept Leaked Ahead of Geneva Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 09:26 PM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ferrari 599 Hybrid Concept Leaked Ahead of Geneva Debut

Leaked: Ferrari 599 Hybrid Revealed Ahead of Geneva Debut : Auto News

Several images of Ferrari’s upcoming 599 Hybrid concept have leaked online ahead of the car’s official debut at the Geneva Auto Show next week. The photos appear to be snapped at the Italian automaker’s stand at the Geneva Show, where the car is sitting in preparation for its Tuesday unveiling.

Little is still known about the hybrid exotic, although it is expected to use a version of Ferrari’s F1-derived Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) setup, using power generated under braking to deliver an extra boost of power, available to the driver via a steering wheel button.

It is not clear if Ferrari intends that the hybrid system work to save fuel as well, but rumors have suggested that it could help power the car at low speeds and when combined with an automatic start/stop system could drastically reduce the vehicle’s fuel consumption.
Old 02-26-10, 09:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Ferrari has jumped on the hybrid bandwagon, but I can't say I'm that excited about it.

I'm much more anxious to see the 599 GTO than this.
Old 02-26-10, 09:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

hybrid ferrari ... say what?
Old 02-26-10, 11:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The whole idea of KERS as implemented in F1 being used as an "environmentally-friendly" mechanism in road cars is a joke, since it was never used in F1 as such.

In any case, sufficiently few of the F1 teams on multimillion dollar budgets were able to get the system to work so FIA axed it in future seasons - what on earth makes them think it can be viable on road cars? I guess that's the point of concepts, though.
Old 02-26-10, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I get the entire green theme and all but they didnt have to paint it that crappy shade of green. Just leave it Ferrari red and we will still get the point
Old 02-27-10, 01:05 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Not diggin the color either..
Old 02-27-10, 08:08 AM
LexFather

I love that color combo.....

Its a small step but really a huge one if you think about it.

Old 02-27-10, 08:19 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a Snakeskin Green! What's there not to like?!?
Probably the best sportscar green ever!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-10, 09:15 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

How bout a hybrid Ferrari with some capacitors.
Old 02-27-10, 09:33 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

finally we get to see Ferrari with 30mpg. that's the GOAT of all car right thurr.
Old 02-27-10, 10:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This whole "green" thing is getting ridiculous. Ferrari's and supercars do not need to go "green" or be seen as responsible. They sell in extremely small numbers to a handful of people, spend most of their time parked in a garage and are usually only driven on special occasions for short periods of time. Most owners don't drive them anywhere near as much as the average automobile owner, many don't even put 1000 miles on them in a year. These cars are not the problem or causing serious damage to the environment and it is irritating when I see more and more reviews/opinions on supercars bringing up how irresponsible and un PC they are. The average Honda civic driver or Toyota Prius driver uses more gas/natural resources a year for that car then the average Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc driver.

Having said that a KERS system is not really a "green" technology and not really something to achieve good fuel economy. It is a power boosting system that happens to use energy from braking which was used in F1. I applaud Ferrari for trying a system like that on a road car but don't know why Ferrari is doing the whole green thing and showing it off as some kind of PC environmentally responsible technology unless it is somehow drastically improving gas mileage. Painting the car and the calipers green for a KERS system seems silly and pointless.

I am all for supercars and exotics getting better gas mileage but I hope they all don't jump on the "green" bandwagon and start slapping on big heavy hybrids to appear PC. Doing that will kill their purity and driving dynamics and will actually cause them to consume more natural resources. There are other ways of making the cars be more fuel efficient. They are just not driven enough for a regular hybrid system to be any benefit or make any sense. A KERS system could improve performance but should not be marketed as some "green" technology.
Old 02-27-10, 10:25 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not a gas electric hybrid so chill.

I think gas electric hybrid would be the worst supercar ever. Exotic cars can't even keep its charge for a week without being driven, I don't want to know what its like when 200 hp comes with an electric motor lol
Old 02-27-10, 03:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
finally we get to see Ferrari with 30mpg. that's the GOAT of all car right thurr.
That's nothing but a dream. This car will be lucky to achieve 18 mpg . The "hybrid" technology on this will likely be for increased power, not so much increased fuel economy but we shall see.