Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-10, 09:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you go for the RX, I think you're better off with the 350, since its the new engine. RX400 might be a hybrid, but it still uses the ancient 3.3 engine, its just not worth it.
Old 02-28-10, 09:22 PM
koshak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
The RX is a great used car, but the I think the new Kia Sorento makes a great new SUV, I would check out both and see what fits you best, however I would get the 400h vs the 350 since it is almost similar in price.
My thoughts exactly - I forced her to a Kia dealership & got her to sit in the sorento but she thought it felt "cheap."

If everything was equal I'd get the hybrid - better MPG & it looks fantastic but from what I've seen on ebay they carry a premium of ~ 3k over the 350. With a budget of under 30k the only 400's in our price range are the 06's.
Old 02-28-10, 09:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by koshak
My thoughts exactly - I forced her to a Kia dealership & got her to sit in the sorento but she thought it felt "cheap."

If everything was equal I'd get the hybrid - better MPG & it looks fantastic but from what I've seen on ebay they carry a premium of ~ 3k over the 350. With a budget of under 30k the only 400's in our price range are the 06's.
True and I believe 06s came only with aluminum trim inside. After that there were multiple interior options.

Old 02-28-10, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

My dad had a Santa Fe Limited and my mom almost got the RX, so I have some thoughts about each. The Santa Fe was nice, but it definitly felt a bit downmarket compared to the Lexus. Not that it was bad in any way, it just didn't have the same feel and materials inside. The mentioned poor resale was also something my dad faced when he sold it. He ended up with a new Veracruz, which is a step up from the Santa Fe, but still doesn't have the same feel inside as the Lexus products. Overall, I feel these Hyundai SUV's focus more on value, rather than on vehicle dynamics.
Back to the RX... I've had several 400h loaners and they were very pleasant to drive. If money were no object, I'd get one of these over the 350. But the chances of your wife gaining any $ savings over the gas version is very slim, especially if she does more highway driving. The 350 is more affordable and a very reliable longterm choice. I would steer her to that and get the great Lexus experience along with great service and resale.
Old 02-28-10, 10:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It is a difficult decision but if it was for me I would lean towards the RX. I have not driven the new Hyundai SUV so I am have no reference but if they set it up like they did the Genesis and new sonata I am sure it would only make the decision even more difficult
Old 02-28-10, 11:16 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My mom has an RX, and I have to say its a great SUV...very reliable, and drives nice and smooth. Im sure your wife will be happy with it.
Old 03-01-10, 02:17 AM
Rain
Driver

CPO RX with extended warrantly hands down
Old 03-01-10, 05:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But the chances of your wife gaining any $ savings over the gas version is very slim, especially if she does more highway driving.
I beg to differ.
Old 03-01-10, 06:40 AM
koshak

I'm friendly with the sales manager at the Lexus dealership in Silver spring MD where I bought my GX. He talks to most 400 owners he meets and asks about MPG. He says many see a 30% increase in MPG on mostly highways by learning to drive the hybrid correctly. Not sure my wife could pull that off because according to him it takes a lot of practice and attention to driving style.
Fortunately we're not in a hurry so I can really watch the used RX market and wait for a deal to show up. I know a Lexus retains value but the prices I'm seeing for 3 & 4 yr old vehicles with 30 to 50k seem high. Hopefully (for us at least) prices on AWD will fall as the temps rise & the towering snow mountains around the beltway melt away.
Old 03-01-10, 07:14 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koshak
He says many see a 30% increase in MPG on mostly highways by learning to drive the hybrid correctly. Not sure my wife could pull that off because according to him it takes a lot of practice and attention to driving style..
I think women do it better than men
Old 03-01-10, 07:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
i have 2008 santa fe 3.3 SE. has been a perfect SUV for me. i had a same dilemma 2 years ago. but i chose santa fe so i don't worry about anything for 10 years.
only the powertrain is 10/100k right?
Old 03-01-10, 08:31 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell

no. i bought a bumper to bumper for $800 more.

Anyway, Sorento is better than Santa Fe IMO. it's much much more quieter. 70mph highway cruise dBA level was below 60 by edmunds. that's LS category. it's slightly bigger and gets better MPG. i like my santa fe, but in terms of drivng dynamics it's a middle of the road.
Old 03-01-10, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
As I understand it, only if the vehicle stays with the original owner or is re-sold within the immediate family (mother, brother, etc...). With all other resales (unless it becomes a Certifed Used Hyundai, which, of course, has a special warranty of its own) the drivetrain reverts to 5/60.

And another factor....even with the full 10/100 drivetrain warranty, it only covers the Hyundai/Kia sourced parts in the drivetrain. Other drivetrain parts, such as those from contractors, get 5/60.
Old 03-01-10, 10:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And another factor....even with the full 10/100 drivetrain warranty, it only covers the Hyundai/Kia sourced parts in the drivetrain. Other drivetrain parts, such as those from contractors, get 5/60.
I HATE HATE HATE when they do stuff like that...!!!
Old 03-01-10, 10:43 AM
LexFather

Warranty has never been a thought for any purchase with Lexus. Even the hybrid powertrain is covered for 100k miles but I never think about it.

Quick Reply: what would you buy?