Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes AMG New Twin-Turbo 5.5 Litre V8 Engine Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 08:43 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes AMG New Twin-Turbo 5.5 Litre V8 Engine Revealed

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003012...ngine-revealed

Mercedes-Benz has released details regarding its new lightweight 5.5-litre twin turbo V8 engine. The engine was speculated upon late last year and now is confirmed as reality. It will be used in certain AMG models, the first being the S 63 AMG from this summer.

The new 5.5-litre, codenamed the M157, replaces the current 6.3-litre (6208cc) naturally aspirated V8 which has been doing duty in cars like the C 63 AMG, the CLS 63 AMG, the E 63 AMG, the S 63 AMG and the CL 63 AMG.

Power is rated at 400kW (544 PS / 536 bhp) at 5,500rpm and peak torque is a massive 800Nm (590 lb-ft) made between 2,000rpm and 4,500rpm. An even more powerful version with the AMG Performance Package of the 204kg engine will produce 420kW (571 PS / 563 bhp) and 900Nm (664 lb-ft) of torque. Both will be mated to Merc's 7-speed MCT transmission which helps the less powerful model achieve 26.9mpg (UK) in average fuel consumption.

According to Autocar, a smaller 4.6-litre version of the engine, also sporting two turbos, will be used for the new CLS and S-Class derivatives later this year.

Hi-res photos will be added later. See press release below for full details.

Initial thoughts

Plus
-Obviously beats the current 6.3 V8 AMG engine (even in base configuration)
-Souped-up spec gets same power of M159 engine WITH MORE TORQUE

Minus
-This DOES NOT SEEM to meet or surpass the M275 engine of the S65 AMG.
-Needs to have at least 600 HP and 1000 NM of torque (to surpass M275)
-Which engine will power the next S65 AMG
-I personally will find it unacceptable if MB will kill the S 65 AMG

So yeah: Any thoughts, info, insights, viewpoints, opinions and analysis???
Old 03-01-10, 08:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I thought one of the main reasons why AMG switched over to the naturally aspirated engines was because of reliability issues??

Anyhow, I'm a fan of big displacement engines being fed with a pair of snails
Old 03-01-10, 09:04 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems they are headed in the right direction interms of fuel economy and performance. More power using two turbos is not a bad thing. I have already marveled at their S65 biturbo and S600 biturbos and think they are great.

I doubt they will kill the 6.5 v12, at least I hope not.

I will say it will look wierd in that they were 55 AMG's, went to 63AMG's and now back to 55. Oh well...on with progress!
Old 03-01-10, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I thought one of the main reasons why AMG switched over to the naturally aspirated engines was because of reliability issues??

Anyhow, I'm a fan of big displacement engines being fed with a pair of snails
they said they would move away from the superchargers (due to reliability?), but after going back to NA (6.3) they also said they would go back to FI, so naturally turbo is the solution. on the v12 setup they have always stayed with the twin-turbo

setup sounds nice. i think right now they will stay with the same power, but for them to push out more it shouldn't be too hard. 590 ft-lb of tq, that's just insane (and i thought the tq on the 55 series was crazy already)

the 65amg, if they keep, will be on v12 bi-turbo, don't think that will be affected by this
Old 03-01-10, 09:07 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

I expect a bit more from an AMG TT V8. I'm sure it will be a blast regardless though.
Old 03-01-10, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
It seems they are headed in the right direction interms of fuel economy and performance. More power using two turbos is not a bad thing. I have already marveled at their S65 biturbo and S600 biturbos and think they are great.

I will say it will look wierd in that they were 55 AMG's, went to 63AMG's and now back to 55. Oh well...on with progress!
i always have a feeling that the 6.3 is more of a stepping stone for them to transition to turbo. somehow i think they always want to stay with FI for power (and maybe fuel efficiency), but they were trying to ditch the supercharges too quickly when turbo setup wasn't ready. so they went with NA (and huge displacement) for the power in the mean time. just my guess
Old 03-01-10, 10:01 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

... but is it going to come with the tacky, gaudy "BITURBO" logo on the side?

I'm actually kinda bummed they're getting rid of the M156, because that thing was just a beast. NA all the way.....

Originally Posted by Blackraven
-Souped-up spec gets same power of M159 engine WITH MORE TORQUE
Does make the SLS seem kinda lame, huh?

It seems they are headed in the right direction in terms of fuel economy and performance.
I'm more than a bit skeptical of a 26.9mpg average even with a 7-speed. The S63 had highway EPA of under 20 even with the 7-speed (which should mean an average of well under that) so the efficiency of this engine would have to be astronomically better to reach 26.9, and turbos offer only a nominal improvement, if any, on fuel efficiency. Keep in mind also that the M157 is heavier than the M156, although certainly 204kg seems very slim for a twin turbo 5.5V8. I agree that FI fits beter with AMG's emphasis on performance, as the new engine offers loads of low-end torque.

You mean the 6.0V12, right? I don't think it (or the gaudy BITURBO logos) are going anywhere either, as there's just nothing out there to replace it right now.

No different than moving from 36 to 43 to supercharged 32, I suppose.

Last edited by gengar; 03-01-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-01-10, 10:09 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

They moved to naturally asprirated engines because the 7 speed gearbox could not deal with the superchargers.

shouldnt we be referring to the old engine as 6.2 liter engine instead of 6.3?
Old 03-01-10, 10:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
They moved to naturally asprirated engines because the 7 speed gearbox could not deal with the superchargers.

shouldnt we be referring to the old engine as 6.2 liter engine instead of 6.3?
You are right. M156 is a 6200 cc engine but I guess they named it as a 6.3 (dunno why though).

Anyways, the way I see it, you are also partially right there with regards to their 7GTRONIC. As such, IMHO, that was the only downside of the S65 AMG because the 7GTRONIC cannot handle or "survive" with the 1000 Newton Meters............hence they just sticked with the 5GTRONIC gearbox for that.....

But other than that flaw, the S65 was godly and still is to this date

However, with the advent of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT, it looks like this gearbox can now handle the monstrous torque of the S65 AMG. If it can handle 900 Newton Meters of torque (as stated in the press release), then handling 1000 Newton Meters of torque should not be as much of a problem.

Lastly

Personally, I too do not want the 6.0 liter Twin Turbo V12 engine to be killed. However, if conditions force it (i.e. Euro 6, CAFE, Carb, Tier 2 Bin 5, Japan Heisei 22, etc. etc.), then I guess it cannot be helped.

However, if they do, then PLEASE make sure that it exceeds or at least meets the performance ratings of the current S65 AMG (W221).

In short, if the new unit fails to achieve AT LEAST 600 HORSES and 1000 NEWTON METERS OF TORQUE, then it has no right to call it self as the successor to the M275 AMG engine.

Two cents.......
Old 03-01-10, 10:34 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
You are right. M156 is a 6200 cc engine but I guess they named it as a 6.3 (dunno why though).

Anyways, the way I see it, you are also partially right there with regards to their 7GTRONIC. As such, IMHO, that was the only downside of the S65 AMG because the 7GTRONIC cannot handle or "survive" with the 1000 Newton Meters............hence they just sticked with the 5GTRONIC gearbox for that.....

But other than that flaw, the S65 was godly and still is to this date

However, with the advent of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT, it looks like this gearbox can now handle the monstrous torque of the S65 AMG. If it can handle 900 Newton Meters of torque (as stated in the press release), then handling 1000 Newton Meters of torque should not be as much of a problem.

Lastly

Personally, I too do not want the 6.0 liter Twin Turbo V12 engine to be killed. However, if conditions force it (i.e. Euro 6, CAFE, Carb, Tier 2 Bin 5, Japan Heisei 22, etc. etc.), then I guess it cannot be helped.

However, if they do, then PLEASE make sure that it exceeds or at least meets the performance ratings of the current S65 AMG (W221).

In short, if the new unit fails to achieve AT LEAST 600 HORSES and 1000 NEWTON METERS OF TORQUE, then it has no right to call it self as the successor to the M275 AMG engine.

Two cents.......

Where are you getting the idea that the M157 is supposed to be successor to the M275?
Old 03-01-10, 10:42 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the old Mercedes 600, W100 had a real 6.3 liter and so they named the current AMGs after the 6.3
Old 03-01-10, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Its funny they had FI, then made all this hoopla about the 6.3 b/c of "heritage" (its actually a 6.2 to make things funnier) and now back to F1.

I have a feeling these new turbos will bring the beast back. For example E55s were still faster than E63s...and the E55 is easier to mod.

Last edited by LexFather; 03-01-10 at 11:14 AM.

Old 03-01-10, 10:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice. Its pretty incredible that they fully expect this engine in the heavy *** S-class with well over 500hp to miss the gas guzzler tax.

Its also interesting that this engine is not debuting in there halo vehicle, the SLS.
Old 03-01-10, 11:09 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

FI Big Merc V8 FTW.

Can't wait to hear what this beast sounds like.
Old 03-01-10, 12:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Nice. Its pretty incredible that they fully expect this engine in the heavy *** S-class with well over 500hp to miss the gas guzzler tax.

Its also interesting that this engine is not debuting in there halo vehicle, the SLS.
This engine beating the gas guzzler tax? Somehow I doubt it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG New Twin-Turbo 5.5 Litre V8 Engine Revealed