Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Manual Usage below 10%...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 06:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I borrow your M3?

I will say that I could never make my dad's 330xi shift smoothly, but I detested the 330ci and the 330xi 6AT did nothing when you hit gas.
Old 03-02-10, 06:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yes and no. I doubt that on the street you brake hard before the corner, downshifting into the right gear, take the corner at the maximum possible speed, and then come out of the corner on full throttle.

The way people take corners on streets, its irrelevant whether they are driving AT or MT.
Are you suggesting that you don't brake before the corner, that there are no detrements to being in the incorrect gear and that you don't accellerate out of the turn?

I said regardless of speed, the principles are the same so if you're at the max speed or not is irrelevant.

Its less work and much more practical, and safer too. Imagine trying to hill start with someone on your rear bumper - make an error, and you get into accident. Imagine trying to make a quick left turn with oncoming traffic - make an error, stall, and get t-boned. Downshift into the wrong gear, and damage your engine.
Right, and if you had learned how to be a better driver you wouldn't have rolled back into the guy behind you or stalled in the middle of traffic (or possibly not turned in a gap where there wasn't actually sufficient space in the first place).

Additionally, since I'm saying manual drivers are better drivers and everyone should know how to drive manual: this would make the guy behind you a manual driver as well and he wouldn't be right up on your rear

On the engine damage: bagwell had it, it's way more expensive to damage your auto (or non-true-MT) car than the true manual car because it's unlikely you can just replace one piece on the auto, you usually have to replace an entire system.
Old 03-02-10, 06:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Downshift into the wrong gear and damage your engine. Is this a joke? ...I inserted a floppy diskette into my computer and I got a virus!!!!! I don't think so.
Old 03-02-10, 06:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ teehee, I know right

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Can I borrow your M3?

I will say that I could never make my dad's 330xi shift smoothly, but I detested the 330ci and the 330xi 6AT did nothing when you hit gas.
You come up to Vancouver and we'll see what happens ... or if you come visit us all in Vegas @ MFest
Old 03-02-10, 06:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Humans make errors. No matter how good you get, you'll never beat electronics.
Old 03-02-10, 06:39 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

what do dual clutches like PDK count towards nowadays?

automatic or manual?
Old 03-02-10, 06:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UberNoob
what do dual clutches like PDK count towards nowadays?

automatic or manual?
Automatic.
Old 03-02-10, 07:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
With all due respect, most of what you're describing applies to racetrack driving, not every day driving, and a lot of it can be done with automatics as well. A lot of automatics let you downshift as well, and concentration/awareness doesn't have anything to do with the type of transmission.

Don't get me wrong, if I was to take a car around a racetrack, I'd opt for something light, high revving, with a manual transmission and none of the electronic gizmos. But for everyday driving, no way.
if you read carefully on my post, i never said it's not achievable with automatic. rather i said a good manual driver will be very well aware of those, but it's hardly as intuitive for automatic drivers. and the stuff i talk about it's applicable to daily driving, not just on track driving at all (braking into a corner? try that on a raining day on the road)
Old 03-02-10, 07:06 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Automatic.
Automated manual. It's a manual transmission in the sense that it doesn't use a torque converter but the user's only input is gear selection and that you can leave it in "auto" mode to allow the computer to select the gears for you.

However with an SMG you do not have an auto mode (used in most motor racing).
Old 03-02-10, 07:07 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Faymester
^ teehee, I know right

You come up to Vancouver and we'll see what happens ... or if you come visit us all in Vegas @ MFest
When is MFest? I'm going to be in Vegas in about a week and a half.
Old 03-02-10, 07:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Automated manual. It's a manual transmission in the sense that it doesn't use a torque converter but the user's only input is gear selection and that you can leave it in "auto" mode to allow the computer to select the gears for you.

However with an SMG you do not have an auto mode (used in most motor racing).
Yes and PDK (the tranny referenced above) does have the automatic mode, therefore the Porsche buyers will perceive it as an automatic and demand that functionality.
Old 03-02-10, 07:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What rominl describes applies to rather spirited driving, unlikely to be applied on the street. Stuff like braking before the corner, being in the right gear during the corner, and accelerating out of the corner just doesn't apply on the street. Braking through the corner and loosing control sounds like an inexperienced driver on a race track, if you drive like that on streets, you'd lose your driving license pretty quick.

Riding brakes down the hill is also applying to inexperienced drivers. Most automatics let you downshift manually so you can engine-brake.

Well, that I can agree with, although it probably doesn't have to do so much with the fact that they are driving an automatic, but because they are lousy drivers by nature. If you put them behind the wheel of a car with manual transmission, they would just cause insane traffics, and some will just give up driving all together.

But you still get your work done faster and more efficient compared to old DOS commands, right?

Again, not discrediting manuals completely here. It is useful to learn how to drive a manual, and in general being familiar with all of the cars components, and understanding how they work. Much like it is good to know your way around computer through command line. But driving a manual on daily basis, or using command line instead of icons, just isn't very benefitial.
unfortunately you applied my post incorrectly. i never said it's for spirited or race track driving, if that's the case i will need to add a lot more techniques to my list.

i can't even recall how many times i see people with automatic braking into corners and lose control of their cars, crash or not. that's simply because they drive automatic and don't know how to drive it correctly. with manual cars, if you brake into corners, very often that means you are in higher gears that you should be, what happens is when exiting the corner, you won't have enough tq and the car will drag. after a few times the driver will automatically be aware of the corners and down shift to the right gear so the car can exit the corners right. doing that will most of the time mean braking early rather than braking too late into the corners. that's not something driving automatic can train people.

we can talk all day on this topic, but to be honest, imho, when it comes to comparison between manual and automatic, unless it's for people who actually drive CONSIDERABLE amount in both (auto and mt), others' comments can't really count much. i know people selling their 335 auto and trade it in for stick shift. i know people driving manual too much and say it's enough. those people's comments mean a lot more.

for people who pretty much just do automatic and hardly really drive stick shift well, then automatic is definitely the answer
Old 03-02-10, 07:17 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
When is MFest? I'm going to be in Vegas in about a week and a half.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...18-2010-a.html

April 16 - 18 ... so, not in a week and a half ... come out to play again?

good addition rominl

Last edited by Faymester; 03-02-10 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 07:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Agreed w/post #102, having owned over a dozen manual transmission cars, the driving experience is much different and involved (and not necessarily easier, faster, more economical).

My preference for a weekend car has historically been a manual.
Old 03-02-10, 07:28 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Humans make errors. No matter how good you get, you'll never beat electronics.
Tell that to the owner of Camerys whose throttle has stuck. Most owners of ATs are unaware that they could just push the slushbox into "N". 90% of MT drivers know that the clutch disconects all power to the wheels.

Electronics may not make mistakes per-se, but they do fail. When they do fail, I'd rather trust my human brain.

For those that think an AT is just as worthy in the real world, daily grind of driving, I challange you to spend a year on a motorcycle, riding in all kinds of weather, traffic and terrain. Keeping in the proper gear is more that just fun for spirited riding. It is often a life saver. When that idiot runs the red light as your crossing an intersection, you don't want to hit the gas just to have to wait on the AT to decide when to downshift, and how many gears it needs to drop. On downhills with less that ideal traction, I can decide to leave it in a lower gear, reducing the need for as much brake to be applied.

This ALL transfers over to driving a MT car. And while you can make an AT act like an MT to some degree, the AT allows drivers to get much more complacent. Giving us more time to talk, eat, text, or whatever, and become more distracted as drivers.

I refuse to give up control of my vehicle to a computer, especially when 90% of the other drivers HAVE given up control. I'll think for myself, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Manual Usage below 10%...