Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37S and M56S answer many questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 06:58 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah and how's that gs460 selling?
That's actually my point. The cheap GS460 can't sell so how is a more expensive M from a less prestigious brand. I guess the majority of M sales are going to be M37s with ugly tiny rims ....
Old 03-01-10, 07:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If Lexus holds the line on pricing with the next-gen GS, things will get really tough for the Infiniti M. It's already bad enough how high the base MSRP of the M56 is. It doesn't matter what equipment or features it has standard; the Infiniti brand name does not yet have the prestige or reputation to support such high prices. During cross-shopping, many people will ignore the M56 as soon as they see the price, especially given the price of the E Class and 5 Series.
Old 03-01-10, 07:10 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If Lexus holds the line on pricing with the next-gen GS
This is what I was thinking as well. If Lexus goes the safe route and just ups the power on the current engine to match the horsepower and torque figures of the LS, then I wouldn't think that the price would have to go up much at all. The GS already comes pretty loaded and it's hard to beat for the price. If it had 380hp it'd be an even better buy in the segment.

Last edited by (Cj); 03-01-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 07:23 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it looks like a cartoon. it's too curvy for my taste. this got to be my least favorite infiniti sedan ever.
Old 03-01-10, 07:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
it looks like a cartoon. it's too curvy for my taste. this got to be my least favorite infiniti sedan ever.
i'd rather take the previous model M45 with sport package factory body kit. Thos car is catching my eye especailyl the V8..
Old 03-01-10, 08:16 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

If Lexus holds the line on pricing with the next-gen GS, things will get really tough for the Infiniti M. It's already bad enough how high the base MSRP of the M56 is. It doesn't matter what equipment or features it has standard; the Infiniti brand name does not yet have the prestige or reputation to support such high prices. During cross-shopping, many people will ignore the M56 as soon as they see the price, especially given the price of the E Class and 5 Series.
If the price spread between cars in this segment remain the same it won't change things much for the new M. And unless the next GS has any clear advantages over the M it won't do much better. The M has always matched or exceeded GS total sales.
Old 03-01-10, 08:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am liking the interior more than the exterior but I am sure it will grow on me. I look at it from the side and I feel like it needs to be dropped badly
Old 03-01-10, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
If the price spread between cars in this segment remain the same it won't change things much for the new M. And unless the next GS has any clear advantages over the M it won't do much better. The M has always matched or exceeded GS total sales.
That is not true actually. For one the GS has been a consistent player from 1993-today. The original M was a coupe that got discontinued, then we got a late rebadge in 2003 or so, then the current versions.

The GS has outsold the M every year from 1993-2010 except for last year (2009), that is a fact and I've posted that a few times with the figures (keep in mind the M lease rates are much much better, the GS rates have been horrid since its debut). That is not to say the car hasn't done or sold well, its been a fantastic car for the brand. It completely embarrasses the RL for instance and that is why I give a big to Nissan for trying. (I mean we will see 3 generations of the M to the RLs one from 2005-201t!!)

Honestly over the years I really don't care.
Both are good cars and the pissing match is getting a little old. I do know that even with Infiniti tying or possibly even winning the battle vs the GS, they are far behind in the grand scheme of things and that is how the public feels, thus the first sentence in the Autoblog article.

"What is an Infiniti"? which is being asked after 20 years still. I simply don't expect a big splash here and I really don't know what next steps are for the brand.

Another factor is other cars. Lincoln has a great MKS. Even the Ford SHO and Genesis are here. The new Volvo S80 is solid and the Audi A6 is finally making some gains in comparos and in advertising and sales. Finally you have the absolutely SUPERB Jaguar XF.

This segment has just heated up from 1998 when the GS 400 came, to 2005 when the 3GS and M35/45 came to 2010 where there is pretty much no bad car in this segment.

85% sold will be the M37 and most without the sport kit and quite frankly without it, it looks dismal to me. You HAVE to get the sport kit with the 20s.

Honestly its a big yawn for me. I am interested in the hybrid.

Old 03-01-10, 08:41 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old model really really aged badly... After a couple of years it looked
just like any ordinary sedan.

The new model looks bad from the start, but maybe it will age better.
Old 03-01-10, 10:50 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pics of the car (this time of European-spec version)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11002232...neva/lowphotos

Hip-hip hooray for the new Infiniti M/Nissan Fuga
Old 03-02-10, 12:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you on this.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Yes it will. The new E Class is cheaper than the previous generation and is a big hit with buyers. If BMW holds the line on pricing for the next-gen 5, and Lexus holds the line on next-gen GS pricing, then that means all major competitors will have prices that remain the same, or in some cases a decrease (in the case of E Class). That would leave Infiniti as being the only competitor with a major price increase (with the M56).

No, the M has not "always matched or exceeded GS total sales". Please define "always".

The next-gen GS is supposed to have torque-vectoring RWD, and very likely a GS-F model. That's already two advantages over the M. The GS-F will be a big advantage over the M, acting as a halo car for the GS line.
Old 03-02-10, 04:26 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all of the infinitis look awkward some way or another

big negative for this = SILVER PAINTED PLASTIC

that should be a cardinal sin. You never put painted silver plastic in a lux car. Use the real thing- aluminum.
Old 03-02-10, 06:25 AM
Pitman
Rookie

BMW F10 > *

With that said, the New M should be arriving at dealerships around March 18th, can't wait to test that puppy on the road.
Old 03-02-10, 07:40 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

No, the M has not "always matched or exceeded GS total sales". Please define "always".
I do not count the original M car, the M30, in this because it was not a direct competitor to the GS. The first M sedan was a doorstop product (an already aging re-badge based on the JDM Gloria) to simply fill a hole in the lineup (2003). The first serious M sedan was the current one, introduced in 2005. Except for it's first year when the GS did outsell the M by around 9000 the M continued to gain ground over the next 3 years to the point that there was only a couple thousand or couple hundred unit difference between the 2 cars.

But, as has been said, that's nothing to brag about since both cars, the M and GS, have never really broken past middle of the pack in total sales when the whole field of competitors is considered. (Nevertheless, the gap between the BMW3 and the G and IS is even greater!)

But I'm not making predictions either way here. We'll just have to see how sales of the new M play out.

In the meantime, another review.

First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37 / 2011 Infiniti M56 are nothing short of impressive
Posted: Mar 01, 2010

It’s been 21 years since Infiniti started selling vehicles in the United States. While at first they were known to be selling rebadged Nissans (Infiniti’s parent company) at a premium price, Infiniti has grown-up and evolved into its own luxury brand with global operations that include more than 230 dealers in 15 countries. Infiniti also gives its competitors, including BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, something to worry about; this was most apparent with the 2003 introduction of the G35, when Infiniti swore that it would never take its eyes off of BMW.

Infiniti’s sales continued to rise and its reputation grew stronger as Carlos Ghosn made it his goal to break the company away from its Nissan roots; a move seen by many as Infiniti taking on the role of “Japan’s BMW”. That role was firmly built upon the 2006 model year M35 and M45 sedans, engineered and designed to compete head-on with the BMW 5-Series.

For 2011, the M’s have undergone their first major re-design and engineering since their inception in 2006 – and we feel confident in saying that the all-new 2011 Infiniti M37 and M56, will have the competition seriously concerned about losing market-share.

Last week we went out to beautiful Southern California to spend a few hours test-driving the all-new M37 and M56; here is our first impression of the ‘Japanese BMW.

With styling inspired by the Infiniti Essence concept, the 2011 Infiniti M gets a redesigned body with sportier proportions, a low front end, and deeply sculpted fenders. The folks at Infiniti made it a specific point to draw attention to the fact that the new M has better overall proportions, being lower and wider, offering a more aggressive stance with its long hood and short deck. While those changes will be apparent to car enthusiasts, the average car shopper will notice the more-obvious things like: new headlamps and tail lights, a new low-slung grille that has become Infiniti’s new signature as it is featured on many of its models, and of course, the more aggressive stance.

Inside, the new M’s remain pure Infiniti, with their upgraded, Japanese-influenced design. Even though interior volume of the new M (103.6 cubic feet) has been reduced by 1.6 cubic feet, the sedan still offers best in-class interior room and cargo space. For the 2011 model year, Infiniti used specially selected materials throughout the interior including new wood trims, new switches and a welcome lighting system that provide for one of the most luxurious interiors in its class.

No matter your needs or tastes, there is an options package out there the suits everyone. The $3,350 Premium Package (standard on the M56, optional on the M37) adds navigation with 8-inch VGA color touch screen, heated/cooled front seats and a Bose 10 speaker 2-channel audio system. The Deluxe Touring Package adds an upgraded Bose Studio Surround System, Forest Air climate control system, and power rear sunshade. The Technology Package adds Intelligent Cruise Control with Distance Control Assist, Intelligent Brake Assist, Blind Spot Intervention, Active Trace Control, Eco Pedal and Adaptive Front Lighting System.

For 2011, the Infiniti M lineup starts with the M37 powered by a 3.7L DOHC VVEL V6 making 330-hp and putting out 270 lb-ft of torque, providing for 27 more hp and 8 lb-ft of torque than the previous generation. Even with the power increase, there comes a modest boost in fuel-economy; the M37 gets an EPA estimated 18/26 mpg (city/highway), while the M37x gets an EPA estimated 17/24 mpg. The M56 gets a brand new 5.6L DOHC VVEL Direct-Injected V8 engine that puts out 420-hp with a maximum torque of 417 lb-ft, providing for and increase of 95-hp and 81 lb-ft over the outgoing M45. EPA estimated fuel-economy comes in at 16/25 mpg for the M56 and 16/23 mpg for the M56x.

Both engines come mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission with Downshift Rev Matching, Adaptive Shift Control and available magnesium paddle shifters. All 2011 Infiniti M models come standard with four selectable drive modes including Normal, Eco (optimizes settings for better fuel-economy), Sport (changes shift points for better performance) and Snow (modulates throttle to limit wheel spin). Those vehicles outfitted with the Technology Package also feature an Eco Pedal feature, which promotes fuel-efficiect driving by pushing back on the pedal if you’re behaving badly. Infiniti claims the feature to increase fuel-efficiency anywhere between 5% and 10%.

While on the topic of fuel-efficiency we’d like to point out that Infiniti will also offer a hybrid version of the M, the M35 Hybrid, as a 2012 model year vehicle. The hybrid system will consist of a single electric-motor/twin-clutch arrangement, mated to a 3.5L V6 unit. Infiniti says that the M35 Hybrid, which will carry a lithium-ion battery pack, has the ability to run on electric-power under certain driving conditions.

Overall, the 2011 Infiniti M37 and M56 are a huge improvement over the outgoing model in terms of design, engineering, performance and overall luxury appeal. Prices start at $46,250 for the 2011 Infiniti M37 and $48,400 for the M37x. The range-topping 2011 M56 starts at $57,550, while the all-wheel-drive M56x starts at $60,050. While that might be a modest increase over the outgoing Infiniti M, it’s still very competitive with rivals including the $45,600 Lexus GS, $45,950 BMW 5-Series (2011 model due out in spring), $48,600 Mercedes-Benz E-Class and the $45,200 Audi A6.

Sales of the 2011 Infiniti M37 and 2011 M56 kick off later this month, so make sure you put it on your list of cars to test-drive if you’re shopping in the mid-size sedan segment.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/03/01...of-impressive/
Old 03-02-10, 07:49 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

He probably means that sales from both have never been too far apart from each other. Nothing too huge in number compared to E and 5 sales. Not too hard to guess that meaning

Last edited by Hypnotik; 03-02-10 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37S and M56S answer many questions