Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz confirms production diesel-electric hybrid E-Class this year

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10 | 11:29 AM
LexFather

Post Mercedes-Benz confirms production diesel-electric hybrid E-Class this year

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=247779

Mercedes has confirmed it will launch its first diesel-electric hybrid later this year.

The E300 BlueTec hybrid will be the firm’s first ever diesel-electric hybrid car; it will reach European showrooms early in 2011.

The BlueTec will be powered by a specially tuned twin-turbocharged 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel engine from the E250 CDI. Mercedes claims the car is capable of more than 56mpg.

It will share many of its hybrid components, including the lithium ion battery pack and electric motor, with the S400 hybrid.

Mercedes has been pleased with the initial sales of the S400 hybrid, which currently accounts for around 15 per cent of all S-class sales in Germany.

The firm intends to develop plug-in hybrid and electric propulsion systems alongside traditional combustion engines for at least the next 20 years. All future Mercedes will be underpinned by modular platforms which can house all three powertrain options, previewed in Geneva’s F800 Style concept car.
Old 03-02-10 | 12:24 PM
RXSF

sounds good, they should bring it over here
Old 03-02-10 | 12:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I love the idea of diesel hybrids. Toyota needs to develop some. A 100mpg torquey IS hybrid would be cool.
Old 03-02-10 | 12:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Mercedes claims the car is capable of more than 56mpg.
Are these the same people who said that the S400 hybrid would be rated for 26 city, 32 Hwy. ...and they were way off. Nevertheless, this car sounds appealing, but also slow.
Old 03-02-10 | 04:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I love the idea of diesel hybrids. Toyota needs to develop some. A 100mpg torquey IS hybrid would be cool.
I disagree. The whole point of hybrids is not just great fuel economy, but also very low emissions.

Having a diesel hybrid defeats the purpose of low emissions, as the diesel engine will have worse emissions than a gasoline engine.

Then there is the big drawback of cost. The additional expense of the diesel engine over a gas engine combined with the added cost of the hybrid system. It's a good thing Mercedes will put on this on the E Class, but sales could still suffer from the increased price.
Old 03-02-10 | 04:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Having a diesel hybrid defeats the purpose of low emissions, as the diesel engine will have worse emissions than a gasoline engine.
Yeah, that is definately true. And with urea injections double the premium and pay for urea injections.
Old 03-02-10 | 05:54 PM
RXSF

diesels are actually becoming pretty clean, especially when you compare them to their gas brothers. the EPA rates the new Audi A4 TDI with a pretty high air pollution score and a pretty high smog score (high is better). We are tlaking about scorings in the 8 and 9s in the 1-10 scale. An efficient diesel engine plus a hybrid powertrain will only make that score better
Old 03-02-10 | 06:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, that is definately true. And with urea injections double the premium and pay for urea injections.
I thought I read somewhere (one this forum?) that if you pay for an oil change they refill the urea for free....
Old 03-02-10 | 06:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
I thought I read somewhere (one this forum?) that if you pay for an oil change they refill the urea for free....
I dunno. But I read recently that the markup for these injections from both MB and BMW is ridiculous and costs $100+
Old 03-02-10 | 06:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
diesels are actually becoming pretty clean, especially when you compare them to their gas brothers. the EPA rates the new Audi A4 TDI with a pretty high air pollution score and a pretty high smog score (high is better). We are tlaking about scorings in the 8 and 9s in the 1-10 scale. An efficient diesel engine plus a hybrid powertrain will only make that score better
Gasoline engines are getting better as well. Apples-to-apples, diesel engines still emit more NOx and CO2 than gasoline engines, among other emissions.

How many diesel engines in the US are rated as PZEV, which is a partial zero emissions vehicle? I'll answer that for you, none of them. Even the diesel engines that use the fancy UREA injection systems to reduce emissions still cannot achieve PZEV. Meanwhile, several gasoline engines in the US from several automakers have achieved the PZEV emissions rating.

Honda even gave up on bringing new diesel engines to the US because they couldn't meet the emissions ratings in the US.
Old 03-02-10 | 06:40 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Are these the same people who said that the S400 hybrid would be rated for 26 city, 32 Hwy. ...and they were way off. Nevertheless, this car sounds appealing, but also slow.
These same people rated my ML500 at 17mpg highway and I consistantly get 26mpg. Same with my CLK500 I can keep that this at 27mpg all day long. I can also get around 19 city. Your information isnt even first hand so its useless. If anything it'll be getting 60mpg...
Old 03-02-10 | 06:44 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Since its a 4 pot this car might not even need ad blue, it might have a simaler system to VW's.
Old 03-02-10 | 06:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I dunno. But I read recently that the markup for these injections from both MB and BMW is ridiculous and costs $100+
here ya go...it was your post....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-refills.html

anyway..back on topic....

I think its a good idea....I mean isn't the whole idea of diesel --- to offer more MPG!!!!?!?!?!?!? so why not offer it in hybrid form
Old 03-02-10 | 07:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
These same people rated my ML500 at 17mpg highway and I consistantly get 26mpg. Same with my CLK500 I can keep that this at 27mpg all day long. I can also get around 19 city. Your information isnt even first hand so its useless. If anything it'll be getting 60mpg...
Personal accounts are useless in this case as well.

EPA ratings are the only fair way to make apples to apples comparisons between different vehicles.

Originally Posted by bagwell

I think its a good idea....I mean isn't the whole idea of diesel --- to offer more MPG!!!!?!?!?!?!? so why not offer it in hybrid form
That's the point of diesel, along with high torque for towing, but the point of hybrids as I mentioned earlier is not just fuel economy, but low emissions so they are less harmful to the environment.

A diesel hybrid is a contradiction in terms of being friendly to the environment, even if a diesel hybrid offers great fuel economy.
Old 03-02-10 | 07:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

IMHO, a diesel-hybrid would be interesting.

It combines the best of both worlds: city driving (hybrid and electric motor) and highway driving (diesel engine). If it doesn't require the urea thing, then that's even better cause it will reduce cost on buying the Adblue injection liquid

Still, this may pose a problem in areas where diesel is more expensive than unleaded (i.e. I think this applies in America?). Nevertheless, it would be interesting to try this out.

With that said, they could bring this version to the Philippines..........provided of course that it can survive our crap**** quality diesel fuel of 500 PARTS PER MILLION

P.S.
@TRDFantasy

Just to correct you a bit there.

Diesel engines emit lesser CO2 emissions than comparable gasoline/petrol engines.

What diesel engines emit more is more of sulfur.

Just a little friendly bit of FYI there

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz confirms production diesel-electric hybrid E-Class this year