Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 VW GTI

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 04:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2010 VW GTI

By CL member-request, a Review of the 2010 VW GTI.

http://www.vw.com/gti/en/us/

In a Nutshell: The classic German pocket-rocket stays true to its roots.....and improves upon some of them.

The basic idea of the small, hatchback pocket-rocket was not necessarily born with the VW GTI (The 1960's British Mini-Cooper, late-70s French Renault R5 Alpine, and early-80s Dodge Omni GLH also helped pave the way). But the GTI was (arguably), in the early-mid 1980s, the first truly successful foreign-nameplate hot-small-hatch to get established here on American shores. The VW marketers, of course, took the GTI letters from the vastly successful 1960's Pontiac GTO (Goat) muscle-car (and Pontiac, itself, had taken the GTO letters from earlier Ferraris). VW went so far as to even
advertise the car to the same tune (in GTI) as the famous Jan & Dean song about the 60's GTO. I clearly remember those radio/TV GTI music ads.....and even the original GTO version from the 1960s.

I still remember my first GTI test-drive when the car was introduced here, but not the exact year or date. The car, of course, was smaller, lighter, and simpler then...basically a VW Rabbit with more HP and a sporting chassis. German-car salespeople, in the 1980's, had a reputation for being snooty and arrogant, and, unfortunately, the guy who insisted on going on the test drive with me was not one of the exceptions (I don't remember his name). He seemed to think that, even though we were in a brand-new, un-broken-in car with no miles on it, that I was still driving too much like Grandma. I was
actually driving with some degree of aggressiveness considering the low mileage on the car's engine and brakes, but, apparantly, for him, not enough. He looked at me and muttered in a thick, German accent...."Do you Vunt to LOOK at the car, or do you Vunt to DRIVE it"? Then he said...."Pull over and let ME take the Veel". So, I didn't argue....the car was the dealer's property, not mine. He subsequently, for the next few minutes, proceeded to scare the hell out of me through some residential neighborhoods, and even put some schoolchildren at risk. Needless to say, I was glad to get back to the dealership and get in my own car....safely. He offered me his card, as most salespeople do.....I promptly tossed it in the trash can.

The GTI, of course, went on to become a successful, well-liked German pocket-rocket, though, in later versions, some reviewers in the auto press complained about the suspensions being too soft and allowing too much body roll. Indeed, some of the photos I remember taken during really hard cornering showed the inside rear wheel a couple of inches off the ground, so, perhaps, some of those complaints may have been valid. That does not seem to be the case, however, with the new 2010 model....it corners quite flat, with very little body roll, although, of course, being on public roads, I didn't push the handling to full-track conditions. The new chassis/suspension, however, DOES make for a rather firm, jittery ride...more on that below.

From time to time, V6 versions of the GTI were offered, the latest being VW's R32, which I reviewed, at CL request, a couple of years ago. But the 2.0T turbo four is such a superb powerplant, and the DSG gearbox such a superb transmission, that the V6's extra power is, IMO, not needed. Indeed, every version of the 2.0T four that I've sampled, in both VW and Audi vehicles, has shown so much spunk that I'm convinced the "official" torque rating of 207 Ft-lbs. is underrated (perhaps for insurance purposes?). The 2.0T, for the most part, felt very much like the R32's larger VR6....perhaps one reason why the R32 was not more successful in the American market.

For 2010, two versions of the GTI are offered in the American market.....2-door and 4-door hatchbacks, with the 4-door, of course, being nice for those who want or need more back-seat room and easier rear entry/exit (which can be somewhat of a problem in the 2-door...more on that below). One engine is offered.....the Old Faithful, Direct-Injected, 2.0T turbo 4 with 200 HP and 207 ft-lbs. of torque (probably underrated), and two transmissions...a conventional 6-speed manual and the always-superb DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox). The DSG in my test GTI was mostly superb, as usual, but did display one minor flaw...more on that below. The VW AWD 4MOTION system SHOULD be offered in the American market, for extra traction and to make the GTI more competitive with Subaru's Impreza GT/WRX and Mitsubishi's Lancer Ralliart (the STI and Evo are in a higher class), but VW just won't offer it here in the GTI line. Shame, Shame. Still, even lacking AWD, it is a lot or car for the price that VW is asking for it (low-high 20s), and I basically enjoyed driving it, as I always do with the 2.0T-DSG conbination.

For today's review, I chose a bright Tornado-Red DSG 2-door model. The GTI review requests I got did not specify a specific body style or transmission, but I figured that the majority of GTI buyers would want the 2-door (a generally sportier body style than a 4-door), the DSG gearbox since it equals or exceeds the manual in both acceleration and gas mileage, and a brighter color. The Tornado Red was the only brighter color out of the five offered.

So, that's what I reviewed and drove today...though I posted some of the images above in white, another nice GTI color. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 VW GTI

Base Price: $23,290

Options:

6-speed Tiptronic (DSG): $1100 (this is money well-spent)

Power Sunroof: $1000

Dynaudio Sound System: $476 (also money well-spent)

Bluetooth Phone System: $199

Destination/Freight: $750

List Price as Reviewed: $26,815

Drivetrain: FWD, transverse-mounted, direct-injected 2.0 turbo 4, 200 HP @ 5100-6000 RPM, Torque, 207 Ft-lbs @ 1800-5000 RPM (probably underrated),
6-speed Multi-clutch Auto-manual DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 24 City, 32 Highway

Exterior Color: Tornado Red

Interior: Interlagos Cloth (Plaid)

PLUSSES:

Superb 2.0T powerplant.

More (probable) torque than specs indicate.

Reasonably quiet engine, but with some sport-oriented noise.

Superb DSG automanual transmission (with one exception when cold).

Nice fore/aft transmission shifter with no zig-zags.

DSG gets better city/highway mileage than manual transmission.

Relatively quick steering response.

Flat cornering.

Superb, Right-Now brakes.

Reasonably good wind/road noise isolation except over bumps.

Good underhood layout.

Solid body sheet metal/doors.

Superb 12 year/unlimited-miles corrosion warranty.

5/60 Drivetrain and 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper warranties now (finally) in line with the Japanese competition.

3/36 Scheduled Maintenence Program.

2-door and 4-door hatchback body styles offered.

Reasonably priced for the content.....both versions (with freight) start around 24K.

Nice, high-quality paint job.

Relatively slick-folding side mirrors.

Side-mirror-mounted turn signals.

Nice-looking (IMO), more conservative, red-striped grille.

Attractive black/light-gray/red plaid seat fabric.

Simple, easy-to-use dash buttons/*****.

Super-sporty, Recaro-like seat cushions give strong lateral-support....but see below for negatives.

Killer stereo sound quality and ease-of use *****/controls.

Nice soft-surface dash.

Nice metallic sport-pedals.

Excellent front/rear headroom.

(Apparantly) real spare-tire.

Side-mirror-mounted turn signals.

Integrated turn-signal/cruise-control lever a big improvement over other German cars.

Clear, easy-to-read primary/secondary instruments.

MINUSES:

Requires premium fuel for best performance.

Spotty, inconsistant reliability record (especially for electrical issues) varies up and down.

Rather stiff and jiggly ride.

Sluggish R-N-D transmission response when cold.

Poorly-located brake/gas pedals.

Only 5 exterior paint colors.

Ultra-sharp, supportive seat side-bolsters rather narrow for wide torsos/butts and impede entry/exit.

Hard, unpleasant, El Cheapo sun visors.

Awkward, flimsy-feeling, pull-up seat-release levers for rear seat entry/exit.

Somewhat tight rear legroom in 2-door model for taller persons.

So-so, unimpressive-looking striped-black plastic dash/door trim strips.

Short, thin, flimsy, black-plastic rearwiper-arm.

No body-side moldings for parking-lot protection.

Odd-looking (IMO) alloy-wheels.

Formerly chrome/metal rear VW logo/trunk release now plastic.

Real (?) spare tire comes with a cheap stamped-steel wheel.

AWD versions not available in the American market.

EXTERIOR:

Well, no surprises on the outside, when you first walk up to it. Like GTIs for decades before it, the 2010 model still has a somewhat conservative, squarish look and moderate, restrained lines. I especially liked the small, classy, red-striped grille and VW logo (a GTI tradition) and restrained headlights. The body sheet metal, Typical for VW was the solid body sheet metal, with solid-closing doors, hood, and hatch lid. The twin side-mirrors had what felt like high-quality housings, integrated turn-signal-indicators, and a fairly smooth/slick swivel action. The paint job, though not quite Lexus/
Audi slick, was smooth, even, well-done, and glossy, with a minimum of orange peel. Only five colors, though are offered, for both the 2-door and 4-door......white, black, two shades of gray metallic, and red. That's in insult, IMO, especially for a sport-oriented hatchback, and something that VW needs to rectify. At least, though, as a consolation, on the GTI, VW doesn't charge extra for the two gray metallics, like with most European vehicles and an increasing number of others as well. Alloy wheeels, of course, are standard, but I wasn't wild about the way they looked...basically a five-spoke version of the German Iron Cross, a military decoration. And, on the body, there were two noticeable signs of cost-cutting from earlier VW Golf/GTI models. First, a lack of body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection. Second, the solid, chrome/metal VW logo on the trunk lid that served as the lid-release has been replaced by a similiar-looking, but lighter plastic one. Not exactly flimsy (and still reasonably solid-feeling), but definitely a material downgrade. Perhaps the VW designers didn't think that anyone would notice the substitution of chrome-plastic for metal-chrome. Think again.

UNDERHOOD:

Generally well-done underhood...but it could be improved. The solid hood opens up, with one large gas strut on the left to hold it up, and has a nice underhood insulation pad. The transverse-mounted, 2.0L turbo four fits in quite nicely, with adequate space to reach a number of things around the sides of the engine block, though the unnecessary plastic top-engine cover, like on many vehicles, blocks some top-component access. The battery, to the right of the engine, behind the turbo ducting, is reachable, but, unfortunately, under a plastic cover. All of the dipsticks, filler caps and fluid reservoirs are relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

The interior is, more or less, typical VW, but with both some nice touches and annoying features as well. One thing I particularly liked (and a GTI tradition, like the red-striped grille), was the Interlagos Plaid cloth upholstery, with its black, gray, white, and red pattern wih red stitching. Black Titan Leather is a option, but, IMO, is rather plain-looking, and I think the majority of buyers will find that the classy plaid cloth adds a lot to the interior. The seats themselves, however, are strictly no-nonsense sport, which means, of course, sharp, high bolsters that grip you and hold you in while cornering. That's fine for thinner people, but guys like me, who are a little porky, with a wide butt and torso, may find the bolsters a little too narrow and confining....and the bolster angles are not adjustable, like they are on more expensive sports cars and sport sedans. I found that the front seats were a little too confining for me at first, but that I got a little more used to them after a few minutes. The seat adjustments, including the lumbar, were manual rather than power.

There was plenty of headroom, both front and rear, even with the power sunroof option and its housing, thanks to the rather conservative, squared-off roofline......I'm generally not a believer in these low, humpback-whale roof designs like on VW's own brother CC. An added bonus of the tall, squared-off roofline and relatively large rear windows was fairly good vision out the back, although the C-pillar, as in other recent Golf/GTI models, is a little wide. The leather-covered steering wheel was a proper sporting 3-spoke design, with the familiar VW/Audi flat-rim on the bottom to accomodate big legs (yes, like mine). It was relatively comfortable to hold, and the stitching did not jab your fingers too much like with some wheels. Both the primary and secondary instruments were super-clear and easy-to-read (just like the typical BMW), and all of the interior ***** in my non-Nav car were simple and easy to use. The stereo sound quality is superb, borderline Killer (the $476 for the Dynaudio system is money well-spent), and I also liked the way that the electronics in the stereo screen imitated older stereos with the horizintal adjustment bands. It's nice to see a unit of this quality and design in a German car.....many of them have mediocre stereos and overly-complex adjustments. All of the interior hardware was generally well-done, though not quite as solid-feeling as on, say, a Honda Civic/Accord. The metallic-silver trim on the dash and wheel looked and felt nice, too...not that cheap painted-silver plastic on some vehicles that is so cheesy. I also liked the metallic-trimmed sport-pedals, except for their location....more on that, below.

Unfortunately, there were some flies in the ointment inside, too. Chief among them, IMO, on the 2-door, was the awful design of the lever on the top of the front seats that folds the seat-back forward for access to the rear seats. It is loop-shaped, flimsy black plastic, sits partially down in a slot, pulls straight up, and wobbles a bit as you pull it up. It can stick a little if you don't grip it and pull just exactly right. This is not only an added inconvienence getting in and out, but could be a hazard if one has to exit the back seat quickly in an emergency. This is something that, IMO, VW should change right away, even if it means a redesign of the latch and a running-change on the assembly line. Once in the back seat itself, legroom in the 2-door model is, of course, a little tight for tall people and not as generous as the 4-door, but still not as bad as in some other small cars I've seen. I also didn't like the cheap-feeling, plain, rock-hard, sun-visors (a growing tendency among some automakers), rather high door-sill mouldings that added to the difficulty of getting out, and the mediocre-looking, gray-striped, black trim strips on the dash and door panels.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The conservative roof design, squarish in the back, helps here, too. Lift the solid hatch lid (I've already described how the metal logo-hatch handle has been downgraded to plastic), and you have a fairly tall, but not very deep, cargo area behind the rear seats, which, of course, fold down, as in virtually all hatchbacks. The cargo floor and walls are lined with a thin, black carpet-fabric that, while not very plush-feeling, is probably consistant with the car's price. An (apparant) nice, but rather odd, surprise lurked under the trunk floor, where there appeared to be a REAL Michelin spare tire, not a donut or temporary (I checked it over carefully, with all its stamped-markings, and it appeared to be real). But I say weird because, One, VW mounted it on a cheap stamped-steel wheel instead of an alloy that matched the car's set, and, Two, the spare tire was a Michelin while the regular set of four were Continentals. Go figure. Instead of a pull-cargo shade with tabs that hooks into slots in the back, the GTI uses an older (but just as good) design that, by hook-cords, lifts the fabric-covered cargo-cover shade up and down with the hatch lid.....you don't see that much anymore.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the superb 2.0L turbo four with a conventional side-column ignition switch and the typical VW fold-out key/fob. The four settles into a smooth and fairly quiet idle, though a small touch of sporty exhaust noise is heard. I've praised this engine in a number of VW/Audi products before, and the GTI is no exception. The official torque figure of 207 ft-lbs, IMO, has to be under-rated some. Even considering the car's small size and relatively light weight (3000-3100 lb.), it feels to me more like 250 or 260. You get a noticeable shove in the back, with minimal turbo lag. Even 5th and 6th gears still leave the engine with some spunk, so you may not have to downshift much to pass on a two-lane road. Exhaust noise increases a little under acceleration, of course, but is not obtrusive.....and has a nice sporty note. With this powerplant, it's little wonder that the more expensive, VR6-equipped R32 model was not very successful.

Equally impressive and superb, IMO, is the 6-speed DSG Tiptronic transmission that this engine is bolted to.....this efficient gearbox, of course, adds to the engine's already brisk performance. Audi has been steadily dropping the DSG (they call it S-Tronic) from its American-market cars, claiming (with some truth) that, with its complex twin-clutch and shift mechanisms makes it a PITA to service and repair. Yet, they are not only keeping it on their Euro-market models, but even in some cases expanding it. Again, go figure. At least VW is keeping it on several of their U.S. market cars, so enjoy it while it lasts. The DSG, in some cases, can even outdo the manual in gas mileage. With a gearbox like this, I see little reason to get the standard manual transmission, unless you just enjoy pumping a clutch and rowing the shift-lever. Pay the $1100 and get the DSG......I think, for most people, it will be worth it. However, unlike most past samples I've tried, the DSG in my particular test GTI showed one minor flaw...a tendency, when cold, to delay a coupe of seconds coming out of Park or Neutral into Reverse or Drive. It improved a little during and after warm-up, but was still a little noticeable. That was not the case, though, in normal gear up-shifts or with the use of the crisp-snap shift-paddles. And I liked the shift lever, too, with the round, metallic **** with "DSG" engraved on it, its slick feel/action, and nice fore-aft motion with no annoying zig-zags.

The chassis engineering was also very well-done from a sporting perspective, though not as perfectly as the typical BMW. I mentioned above that past GTIs have sometimes been criticized in the auto press for soft suspensions and body roll.....that is definitely not the case in this version. Steering response is quick (though not the quickest I've seen), and body roll is well-snubbed in the flat cornering. There is some feel in the steering, but not the superb BMW telepathic feel. The GTI will definitely carve the corners with little fuss, though these athletic road manners come at the expense of a rather firm ride that, on bumpy surfaces, is a little too stiff for my tastes....this is probably not a car that I would choose for a cross-country tour, especially on less-than-perfect road surfaces. Wind noise is generally well controlled; road noise is not bad except for some audible thumps over bumps. The superb brakes have a quick, right-now response, strong deceleration, and almost no sponginess or free play in the pedal, similiar to many BMWs and Audis. The red-painted front/rear calipers remind one of Brembo high-performance brakes, but a careful check of the specs seemed to indicate regular VW brakes.....I couldn't the Brembo name listed anywhere. Only one thing about the brakes I didn't like...and that was the lousy gas/brake-pedal spacing/location. The brake pedal is too close to and much higher than the gas pedal, so I had to be especially careful not to catch my big size-15s on the underside of the brake pedal when lifting off the gas. This is odd in a sport-oriented car, as it makes heel-and-toe downshifts for RPM-matching difficult or impossible.....one more reason, IMO, to get the DSG and avoid the manual transmission.

THE VERDICT:

As you can see, the latest version of the GTI, in my book, ran up a long list of positives and only a moderate list of negatives, so it is clear that I had an overall favorable impression of it. I liked the conservative-but-classy grille and squarish body style...I'm not a fan of big or garish grilles like on Audis or Acuras. It has a lot of features that cater to sport-oriented drivers....sharp response, flat cornering, lots of low-RPM torque, a superb transmission, BMW-feel brakes, and seats that clearly hold you in place during tight turns. It also, thanks to the conservative, high-roof/square-back design, has good space efficiency inside and plenty of tall-person headroom, even in back. 4-door versions are available for those who want or need more rear-seat room. The warranty is now competitive with other makes in its class. And there the pricing is also rather attractive, giving you a pretty nice, sport-oriented hatchback for well under 30K....and even 25K or under, without options.

But the sport-suspension/tires that give the car its good cornering manners also make the ride, IMO, a little too stiff for everyday use over rough roads.....this is probably not a car that I would choose as a daily driver. The DSG transmission, so superb in so many other ways, yawns a little and takes its time getting out of bed in the morning. Tall, porky guys like me (may) find the super-sport seat cushions too confining and making for more difficult entry/exit. The awkward, possibly unsafe front-seatback release in the 2-door needs a total redesign. VW's AWD 4MOTION system needs to be offered on American-market GTIs like it is in Europe.....I see no reason why we shouldn't have it here. The brake/gas pedal locations need to be better. And, could we please have a couple of more color choices on the outside?...this cost-cutting stuff can sometimes get annoying.

The GTI, however, does make a nice alternative for those who like the Golf/Jetta TDI diesel but want something a little more sporty. The GTI's gas-powered 2.0T four offers diesel-like torque at low RPMs, slightly less idle clatter (though the TDI, like the Mercedes/BMW Bluetecs, is very quiet by diesel standards), and good gas mileage by gas-engine standards, though not quite up to the TDI's MPG figures. Even the premium gas needed for the 2.0T's best performance can run less, at the pumps, than low-sulfur diesel fuel often does. Of course, part of the diesel's expense comes back in the form of alternate-fuel tax-credit on your Federal tax return...not the case with the 2.0T.

So, there you have it. And, as always............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-10 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 05:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good stuff as usual Mike!!!

...but you mention the warranty is FINALLY in line with other japanese brands at 3yr/36K BB & 5/60K powertrain.....as we discussed earlier in another thread, they actually cut the warranty back from 4yr/50K BB...the powertrain was already 5/60. Sure you get 3/36 free maint - but that amounts to 3 oil changes....not worth it IMO.

oh..and re the "Odd-looking (IMO) alloy-wheels"...that's what I thought initially, but I'm actually warming up to them.

LOL at He looked at me and muttered in a thick, German accent...."Do you Vunt to LOOK at the car, or do you Vunt to DRIVE it"? Then he said...."Pull over and let ME take the Veel".
Old 03-03-10, 06:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT review AND timing Mike ... I was looking at this yesterday along with the CC, but didn't have time to drive. The 4-cyl Sonata is off the list (lose too much from my V-6) and the 4-door might do the trick (DD for mileage, family, clients, etc.) although I noted your rough roads comments for DD... if I could handle the IS-F's ride, should be no problem.

FYI... new 2011 Sonata is OUT, as is new Infiniti G AWD, Genesis still not wowing me... awaiting some Maxima numbers... but this still keeps about $7K in my pocket over the "4-door sport sedan"
Old 03-03-10, 06:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I just received Consumer Reports 2010 Annual Auto Issue and the VW GTI is their top pick in the Sporty Car Category. It's also on the cover.
Old 03-03-10, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
good stuff as usual Mike!!!
Thanks.

...but you mention the warranty is FINALLY in line with other japanese brands at 3yr/36K BB & 5/60K powertrain.....as we discussed earlier in another thread, they actually cut the warranty back from 4yr/50K BB...the powertrain was already 5/60. Sure you get 3/36 free maint - but that amounts to 3 oil changes....not worth it IMO.
I think the 30K maintenance involves more than just oil changes. Many vehicles, for instance, need coolant/transmission fluid changes at least the 30K mark, and cabin air-filter replacements for the A/C system yearly. BMW/Mercedes Bluetec diesels also need periodic urea-solution changes every 10-15K miles or so, but I don't think that applies to VW's TDI...it doesn't use urea.

Of course, if the 3 years comes first, you may lose out on the free service if you don't have the required mileage.

As far as the older basic warranty goes, the way I recall it here, for American- market VWs, was 4/50 bumper-to-bumper, including the powertrain. So, the 3/36 part would be a cutback and the 5/60 drivetrain part an extension. But, either way (whichever one of us is correct), my point was that the VW basic warranty NOW is comparable to those from Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, and similiar manufacturers.

oh..and re the "Odd-looking (IMO) alloy-wheels"...that's what I thought initially, but I'm actually warming up to them.
Maybe so. Wheel styling, like the rest of the car, is, of course, subjective. I found the 5-spoke Iron Cross design to be a little garish, and not in the best of taste.

LOL at He looked at me and muttered in a thick, German accent...."Do you Vunt to LOOK at the car, or do you Vunt to DRIVE it"? Then he said...."Pull over and let ME take the Veel".
Well, that's exactly what he sounded like. He was the classical, stereotypical, suave, tall, thin, blond German....but I don't remember his name (it was almost 30 years ago). You have to have been around in those days, and have dealt with some of those old German car reps, to know what some of them could be like. The arrogance and aristocratic behavior of German auto companies......and dealerships.....in the 1980's was one of the factors that led to the great success of Lexus and Infiniti as Japanese luxury-car-competitors when those two companies first debuted in 1990......Lexus, Infinti, and Saturn invented the idea of customer-friendly service, with Saturn also perfecting the concept of no-hassle/no-dicker sales and deal-making.
Old 03-03-10, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just received Consumer Reports 2010 Annual Auto Issue and the VW GTI is their top pick in the Sporty Car Category. It's also on the cover.
For sure.....for the money, it's a nice small sporty hatchback, and a good value. The reliability history, while not as bad as some other VW products like the Touraeg, has been inconsistant........it has to (now) be average or better to make CR's Recommended list.
Old 03-03-10, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GREAT review AND timing Mike
Thanks, Russ.

... I was looking at this yesterday along with the CC, but didn't have time to drive. The 4-cyl Sonata is off the list (lose too much from my V-6) and the 4-door might do the trick (DD for mileage, family, clients, etc.)
This car drives quite differently from both the CC and Sonata, although, as expected, it has somewhat more in common with the CC.

although I noted your rough roads comments for DD... if I could handle the IS-F's ride, should be no problem.
I agree. If you can handle the IS-F or Mitsubishi Evo's ride on rough roads, this car will be a shoo-in. Still, it's a little firm for my tastes.

FYI... new 2011 Sonata is OUT, as is new Infiniti G AWD, Genesis still not wowing me... awaiting some Maxima numbers... but this still keeps about $7K in my pocket over the "4-door sport sedan"
The Maxima, for sure, is a nice semi-luxury/sport sedan, but I'd have some misgivings about the long-term durability of the CVT transmission. I understand that Nissan may be extending warranty coverage on some of those units.
Old 03-03-10, 06:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...nty/index.html
http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/vo...nty/index.html
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/vol...arranties.html
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...n-jetta-14.htm

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Warranty Program
Basic 4 year / 50,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside 4 year / 50,000 miles
Rust 12 year / Unlimited miles

Last edited by bagwell; 03-03-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...nty/index.html
http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/vo...nty/index.html
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/vol...arranties.html
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...n-jetta-14.htm

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Warranty Program
Basic 4 year / 50,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside 4 year / 50,000 miles
Rust 12 year / Unlimited miles
Yeah.....looks like what they did, as you noted earlier, was cut back a year on the bumper-to-bumper coverage and, in exchange, toss in 3 years of free maintenance. The rest, for the most part, including the excellent 12/unlimited corrosion-perforation warranty, seemingly remains unchanged. Still, no worse of a deal than Ford and for comparable Japanese mainstream manufacturers (and better then some). Some low-volume Japanese makers like Suzuki and Mitsubishi, though, in the U.S. market, offer longer warranties to try and attract customers, and, of course, the Koreans have been using them for years. GM, in the last several years, went from 3/36 powertrain to 5/60 to 5/100, which, IMO, was remarkable. Chrysler, recently, had Limited Lifetime drivetrain coverage, but we knew that was too good to last.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-10 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 10:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah.....looks like what they did, as you noted earlier, was cut back a year on the bumper-to-bumper coverage and, in exchange, toss in 3 years of free maintenance. The rest, for the most part, including the excellent 12/unlimited corrosion-perforation warranty, seemingly remains unchanged. Still, no worse of a deal than Ford and for comparable Japanese mainstream manufacturers (and better then some). Some low-volume Japanese makers like Suzuki and Mitsubishi, though, in the U.S. market, offer longer warranties to try and attract customers, and, of course, the Koreans have been using them for years. GM, in the last several years, went from 3/36 powertrain to 5/60 to 5/100, which, IMO, was remarkable. Chrysler, recently, had Limited Lifetime drivetrain coverage, but we knew that was too good to last.
GM 5/100 powertrain sounds great but really doesn't come into play for most owners including myself.
Most people don't drive 20K miles per.I would think most owners drive around 12K per equalling the 5/60.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-03-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
GM 5/100 powertrain sounds great but really doesn't come into play for most owners including myself.
Most people don't drive 20K miles per.
Fore the most part, that's true, but some of your Chevy/GMC truck owners out West drive a LOT of miles. Same for Ford and the F-150, but Ford only has the 5/60 drivetrain.

I would think most owners drive around 12K per equalling the 5/60.
Agreed......that's probably why a number of carmakers use the 5/60.
Old 03-03-10, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews, by request: Hyundai Equus, Ford Fiesta. These two vehicles may not be released in the American market for some months, though. I've got a couple of others on stand-by.....no formal requests, but maybe just for my own curiosity.
Old 03-03-10, 12:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fore the most part, that's true, but some of your Chevy/GMC truck owners out West drive a LOT of miles. Same for Ford and the F-150, but Ford only has the 5/60 drivetrain.

Agreed......that's probably why a number of carmakers use the 5/60.
Mike,no doubt is a perk for some.
However,GM really makes a big deal out of it in their ads.
Old 03-03-10, 01:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am a huge fan of Japanese cars but when I drove one of these cars a while back and I was blown away at how solid it feels. The car feel like a BMW 100%. Solid feel, very quick, and handled like a monster.
Old 03-03-10, 02:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I think I like this car better than the Mini Cooper S but....I'm afraid the GTI will look outdated really quick....

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 VW GTI