Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan recalls 540,000 vehicles to fix brake pedals, gas gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 04:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan recalls 540,000 vehicles to fix brake pedals, gas gauges

http://autos.ca.msn.com/news/canadia...entid=23564700

DETROIT - Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. is recalling about 540,000 pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and minivans to fix problems with brake pedals and fuel gauges.

Most of the recalled vehicles are in the U.S., with smaller numbers scattered across the globe.

The brake pedal recall affects 179,000 vehicles in the U.S. and about 26,000 in the Middle East, Canada, Russia and several other countries.

A pin in the pedal assemblies on certain 2008 to 2010 Nissan Titan pickups, Infiniti QX56 and Nissan Armada Sports Utility Vehicles, and some 2008 and 2009 Nissan Quest minivans can come loose and cause reduced braking force, Nissan said Tuesday in a statement.

No injuries or crashes have been reported, the company said. Customers with loose brake pedals should contact their dealer.

Nissan blamed the problem on a manufacturing defect by a parts supplier. Dealers will inspect the vehicles for loose pins and repair them if necessary.

The company said in a statement that all vehicles now on sale do not have the problem.

Nissan also is recalling 419,000 vehicles in the U.S. and 53,000 elsewhere because gas gauges can show fuel left in the tank when it's actually empty.

The recall affects 2005 through 2008 Nissan Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56s as well as Nissan Frontier pickups and Pathfinder and Xterra SUVs produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.

Due to a problem with a sensor inside the fuel tank, the gauges can show gas tanks a quarter full when they are in fact empty.

Nissan suggests keeping a half-tank of gas in the vehicles until the gauges can be repaired, eliminating the risk of running low on fuel.

Owners of vehicles in both recalls will be notified when to bring their cars and trucks in for repairs. In materials distributed to dealers, Nissan said the brake pedal recall begins on March 22, while the fuel-gauge recall will take place in two groups, one beginning March 22 and the other starting in April.

About 130,000 vehicles are covered by both recalls.
The recall bonanza continues. I would guess that this eventually would take some media spotlight off of Toyota, if other automakers continue to make major recalls such as this.
Old 03-03-10, 04:39 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will the president of Nissan appear before Congress ??
Old 03-03-10, 04:42 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tromly
Naw, they don't take that many sales from GM....
Old 03-03-10, 05:29 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The recall bonanza continues. I would guess that this eventually would take some media spotlight off of Toyota, if other automakers continue to make major recalls such as this.
LOL Yeah Right.
Old 03-03-10, 06:47 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone seems to be having their share of problems with Recalls right now.
Old 03-03-10, 07:24 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Everyone seems to be having their share of problems with Recalls right now.
The fact is that we've always had recalls. Just search the forums. But for the moment everyone is hypersensitive about any recall.
Old 03-03-10, 09:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Originally Posted by MR_F1
Naw, they don't take that many sales from GM....
Guys Toyotas recall is 16 times as large. Cant even compare.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-03-10 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 09:37 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Well at least no one has been injured from it.
Old 03-03-10, 09:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

with all the hype over toyota right now I dont think any manufacturer will push it right now.
Old 03-03-10, 12:43 PM
LexFather

The Honda VP said it best. Toyota is the face of Japan and they will attack Toyota. Nissan/Honda/Mitsu/Suzuki etc don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

The Honda airbag recall got no coverage....this won't either....

If Toyota falls as some Honda/Nissan fans want do they think they will be THAT MUCH better for it? Nope, people will go to Americans and VW will be building cars here soon as well. The Koreans will grab share. Nissan/Honda will get a few Toyota people but not some huge exodus.

Let me add this forum is not going to become recall central just b/c Toyota is having issues. Toyota fudged up with their slow response and not getting immediately behind this mess. We are not going to have 10 threads a day with every recall from everyone as that is BOA.

Recalls are a part of life in the auto business.

Old 03-03-10, 03:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Honda VP said it best. Toyota is the face of Japan and they will attack Toyota. Nissan/Honda/Mitsu/Suzuki etc don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

The Honda airbag recall got no coverage....this won't either....

If Toyota falls as some Honda/Nissan fans want do they think they will be THAT MUCH better for it? Nope, people will go to Americans and VW will be building cars here soon as well. The Koreans will grab share. Nissan/Honda will get a few Toyota people but not some huge exodus.

Let me add this forum is not going to become recall central just b/c Toyota is having issues. Toyota fudged up with their slow response and not getting immediately behind this mess. We are not going to have 10 threads a day with every recall from everyone as that is BOA.

Recalls are a part of life in the auto business.
Interesting point. If the worst possible happens to Toyota, then more eyes and attention will move onto Honda and Nissan.
Old 03-03-10, 04:21 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess recalls are the "in" thing right now. And look, Toyota lead that trend too! haha

In all seriousness, I'm guessing this won't get nearly as much attention since NNA is claiming no accidents have been caused by their brake issues and that it is relatively smaller than Toyota's as it was mentioned above. I'm guessing they just have a bunch of pissed off people stranded on the side of the road with a full tank of gas... haha
Old 03-04-10, 06:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I'm guessing they just have a bunch of pissed off people stranded on the side of the road with a full tank of gas... haha

Yeah.
Old 03-04-10, 08:02 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

I'm glad they're recalling, since my gas gauge has been acting funky lately.