Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is technology killing driving skill?
Yes, technology is killing driving skills
55.56%
No, the more driver aids, the better
33.33%
Who cares? I take the bus.
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Is technology making us better/worse drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10 | 10:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaseman
Technology is great, as a driving aid. But are we (as in the general public) relying on it to drive for us. Most of us over a certain age, learned to drive in cars that had no real electronic aids, so we were forced to understand and control what happens when things go wrong. If not, we ended up in a ditch, or replacing fenders, or what have you.

As new drivers come along, the 5 or 10 year old used cars they are starting off in, already have many of these electronic aids. So they never learn how to control a skid, or how to get their car up a snow covered road (just as examples).
Well, I personally am not a professional driver and there are many situations where I would not know what to do. However, I try not to put myself in such situation, if I am unsure that I am able to control the car, I slow down to the speed at which I feel comfortable.

However some people just don't get it. I would be driving my RWD with snow tires 5-10 mph on snow, just to get passed by some AWD cute-ute with low profile perfomance tires doing 35-40mph - stuff like this make me wanna smack the driver of the cute-ute over the head. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Old 03-03-10 | 11:12 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Och,
While I do consider myself an enthusiast, autocross, and do the occasional track day, I am by no means, a pro myself. I do have a good idea of where my skill level is, and more importantly, when I'm beyond it :lol:

The important thing is, when I learned to drive, someone (my father) took the time to teach real-world car control. Not proper apexes and and brake/shift points (though I learned those as well) but how to handle a car in sub-par driving conditions. We went to snow covered parking lots, gravel/dirt roads, muddy, rutted fields, and anywhere else that wasn't just smooth, clean asphalt. I learned how and when to use drivers inputs to keep the car in control.

And while that speaks more of drivers training, modern electronics has kept a lot of people from learning these basic survival skills. Not only do people not know them, they believe they have no reason to learn them. Let the safety nannies drive the car for them. So, as you said, that cute-ute goes by, driving beyond his/her limits. But too often, they also get beyond the limits of the electronics.
Old 03-03-10 | 11:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaseman
Och,
While I do consider myself an enthusiast, autocross, and do the occasional track day, I am by no means, a pro myself. I do have a good idea of where my skill level is, and more importantly, when I'm beyond it :lol:

The important thing is, when I learned to drive, someone (my father) took the time to teach real-world car control. Not proper apexes and and brake/shift points (though I learned those as well) but how to handle a car in sub-par driving conditions. We went to snow covered parking lots, gravel/dirt roads, muddy, rutted fields, and anywhere else that wasn't just smooth, clean asphalt. I learned how and when to use drivers inputs to keep the car in control.

And while that speaks more of drivers training, modern electronics has kept a lot of people from learning these basic survival skills. Not only do people not know them, they believe they have no reason to learn them. Let the safety nannies drive the car for them. So, as you said, that cute-ute goes by, driving beyond his/her limits. But too often, they also get beyond the limits of the electronics.
Exactly