Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer reports shows Toyota customer loyalty waning

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 12:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Consumer reports shows Toyota customer loyalty waning

The intense media spotlight has been focused directly on Toyota as its recalls of over 8 million vehicles for acceleration-related issues has begun hitting the Japanese automaker where it hurts most. Toyota sales were down year over year in January and a similar story unfolded for the month of February.

Automotive News is reporting that a recent Consumer Reports survey of Toyota owners shows that the embattled automaker should expect more customers to jump ship in the short-term. The Japanese automaker was leading the industry in consideration as recently as December, as CR data shows that 70 percent of Toyota owners were planning on purchasing a new Toyota when it came time for a new vehicle. Just two months later and the number has dipped to 60 percent, dropping Toyota below Honda in overall consideration.

The negative Toyota press is no doubt hurting the automaker, but the news isn't totally (and completely) bad. While Toyota dropped below Honda in owner loyalty, the Japanese automaker is still ahead of Chevrolet (52 percent loyalty) and Ford (51 percent loyalty). Toyota also fared better with customers 45 and over, as the demographic reportedly has remained loyal to the brand. Customers age 18 to 44, however, are more likely to switch to another brand.

While it looks like Toyota is doing a decent job of weathering the sales storm during its time in the media spotlight, consideration could possibly take another hit in March. CR surveyed Toyota customers prior to the three congressional hearings with the automaker.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/04/c...oyalty-waning/

Please dont bury this thread in the recall section.
Attached Thumbnails Consumer reports shows Toyota customer loyalty waning-par3088390opt.jpg  
Old 03-05-10, 12:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another bit of non-news.

Has Toyota loyalty dipped at the moment? Yes. Is it that bad? No, Toyota owner loyalty is still among the best in the industry. Is it going to be a long-term, permanent trend? Probably not.

Also regarding the 18-44 age range, they are typically the least loyal age group in the industry, especially the under-30 crowd. They tend to jump brands often.
Old 03-05-10, 07:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe Toyota will rebound from this but it may be a while before they regain the momentum they had before the crisis. For one thing some other automakers, primarily Ford, have enormous mind-share and goodwill at the moment and could capture more of the market.

I think this is an evolutionary process for Toyota. They must learn form their mistakes (aggressive expansion at the expense of their traditional values) and take measures to see that they do not repeat them.
Old 03-05-10, 07:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a Toyota guy who would still buy a Toyota product but I am starting to get turned off by Toyota a bit.
Now if I feel that way,the general public is turning away from Toyota.
I do believe Toyota will be back to the quality it once had after this BS.
Old 03-05-10, 08:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Honestly I'm more turned off by the current lineup than the various recalls.
Old 03-05-10, 08:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I do believe Toyota will rebound from this but it may be a while before they regain the momentum they had before the crisis. For one thing some other automakers, primarily Ford, have enormous mind-share and goodwill at the moment and could capture more of the market.

I think this is an evolutionary process for Toyota. They must learn form their mistakes (aggressive expansion at the expense of their traditional values) and take measures to see that they do not repeat them.

True.

Look at Ford. They're doing an excellent job after many mistakes in the 90's and 2000's.

I think Toyota needs to reorganize, reassess, and rebuild. The current situation is but a blip in Toyota's history. I look forward to the future...
Old 03-05-10, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I heard a news report on the radio yesterrday that Edmunds reported a 40% increase in Toyota inquiries following the announcement of 0% financing and 2 year free maintenance.
Old 03-05-10, 08:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I heard a news report on the radio yesterrday that Edmunds reported a 40% increase in Toyota inquiries following the announcement of 0% financing and 2 year free maintenance.
Money talks, loyalty being bought back maybe.
Old 03-05-10, 09:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe Ford is doing well because they didn't take any bailout money too.
I'd buy a Ford and wouldn't buy any GM product because of the multiple Gov bailout money.
Old 03-05-10, 09:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Another bit of non-news.

Has Toyota loyalty dipped at the moment? Yes. Is it that bad? No, Toyota owner loyalty is still among the best in the industry. Is it going to be a long-term, permanent trend? Probably not.

Also regarding the 18-44 age range, they are typically the least loyal age group in the industry, especially the under-30 crowd. They tend to jump brands often.
"Is it bad"...LOL......do even own a television. Yes bro its bad

I cant believe anyone would describe the situation as not bad
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-10, 09:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I8ABMR, this was a fine topic to discuss independent of the recall thread, but you are posting images baiting for a personal argument which is not an appropriate path to maturely converse with your fellow members on this topic.

This thread is closed.