Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Pontiac sends an email saying "The excitement lives on"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Question So Pontiac sends an email saying "The excitement lives on"

As some of you know the Pontiac G8 GXP was in the running for new vehicle last year so I get e-mails occasionally. I thought it was odd I got one today so I looked and GM is trying to sway people interested in Pontiac to Buick/GMC.

What do you think of this strategy? (when I click the link it took me to GMC)

I still can't believe they canned the G8

Thanks for your recent interest in Pontiac. Pontiac owners and enthusiasts have long been a vital part of the Buick and GMC family. And we hope to keep it that way.

Whether it's a classic like the GTO or today's G8 GT, Pontiac proudly produced exciting vehicles that offered style and substance. This tradition continues with the rest of the Buick and GMC family. Buick LaCrosse offers advanced technologies wrapped up in a critically acclaimed design. GMC Terrain boasts 32mpg Best in Class highway fuel economy1 and standard premium features like a rearview camera – it's a smaller SUV living large. We invite you to check out all that Buick and GMC have to offer.

And if you are still set on getting into a Pontiac, check out what is available within the Certified Used inventory that can meet your needs.

Next time you take a test drive, make it a Buick or GMC—we're confident you'll enjoy the ride.

Old 03-04-10, 03:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want an Oldsmobile.
Old 03-04-10, 03:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I want an Oldsmobile.
I want a Plymouth.
Old 03-04-10, 03:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want a cheeseburger.
Old 03-04-10, 04:12 PM
Trexus

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I want a Plymouth.
I want an AMC...
Old 03-04-10, 04:36 PM
LexFather

lol at this thread

Old 03-04-10, 04:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But back on topic, the strategy is weak imo.
Old 03-04-10, 04:47 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While the G8 was a good effort, it was too little, too late. Pontiac was a woeful excuse of a performance brand for far too long.

Speaking of Buick, I saw some pics from the Chicago auto show it one showed the upcoming Regal GS with a clutch pedal. A Buick with a manual transmission?
Old 03-04-10, 05:16 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't seem like a bad strategy, but not really thought out. It looks like this email was geared towards people interested in the G8, probably people interested in a sports sedan. While Buick/GMC has vehicles suitable for other buyers, there's nothing in their lineup that fits a perspective G8 owner.

IMO, they should have went with a more neutral approach instead of performance.
Old 03-04-10, 05:47 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I feel you, the G8 is a great car that should have no been canned. But recently while watching Top Gear and reading some british mags, I found out about a car the G8 should of been, the Vauxhall VXR8! Deep inside this monster is a pontiac G8....

Old 03-04-10, 05:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The G8 was an amazing machine for its power but the interior was low rent , mpg was horrible, and theres that Pontiac badge that kind of irks me. The G8 is a car that the market will not desire right now. Its a shame but I understand why they cut it and the entire brand of Pontiac all together

I cant stand American cars because they always fail on the interior. Thats what I spend most of the time looking at so why do they always slash costs by stripping the interior
Old 03-04-10, 11:32 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I feel you, the G8 is a great car that should have no been canned. But recently while watching Top Gear and reading some british mags, I found out about a car the G8 should of been, the Vauxhall VXR8! Deep inside this monster is a pontiac G8....

This car reminds you of a G8 b/c it IS a version of the G8. Vauxhall and the Pontiac G8 were produced by Holden(Austrailian company) and imported to many areas of the world. In the UK, Holden marketed the car under the Vauxhall branding, in the US it was imported as the Pontiac G8.

350 VXR8s per year are scheduled for official importation into the UK, at a price of £35,105. Of the 110 ordered before first deliveries were made, 100 had been ordered with the Vauxhall warranted "loud exhaust" package, developed by Wortec. This uses a switchable exhaust system, allowing an electronic alteration of the exhaust gas path through the "standard" muffler, or via the new uprated Wortec muffler. The LS3 V8 is particularly popular among tuners in the USA, so performance parts are widely available. The most dramatic warranted upgrade is the £7,000 supercharger kit, which ups power to 530 hp (395 kW). Imports to the US were previously sold as Pontiac G8, with V6, L76 V8, or an LS3 V8 engine in the GXP trim. The supercharged edition Bathurst VXR8 was reviewed on Top Gear, and its power-lap time was 1 min 26.3 seconds, under 1 second slower than the BMW M5
source,,,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV_Clubsport
Old 03-04-10, 11:36 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think telling the customers to visit cadillac would have been a better idea..
Old 03-05-10, 04:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This is a very odd move since Buick and GMC have nothing in line with Pontiac.

Chevrolet is most comparable. If they really felt that the G8 should have lived on, they should have carried it over to the Chevy brand (they certainly should have played out the model's normal cycle). Just like when GEO was cut and its models became "Chevy Metro", "Chevy Prism", ect. "G8" was a new name so it could have carried over to Chevy G8 easily, I think. Another example is when Plymouth bit the dust, and the Prowler became a Chrysler.
Old 03-05-10, 05:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I thought the G8 was coming out under the Buick name as some modded Regal???

Oh yeah... I'll take a large double meat lovers, extra cheese please

Only 16 more days til this Vegan diet ends

Quick Reply: So Pontiac sends an email saying "The excitement lives on"