Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second Favorite Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I see we drifted yesterday into the usual off-topic rhetoric about the successful Venza's wheels/tires (which btw the tires aren't all that low profile), but at least we didn't digress into plastic bodied cheezy Saturns, vomit-inducing soft-riding sloppy handling outdated Buicks, etc., etc.
Well, we're sorry we offended you by not bringing them the Saturns and Buicks. I guess that was inconsiderate of us.

Back on topic, Marshmallo does point out some nice versions of luxury AWD Lexus models.
Again, on topic, a Lexus-version of the Venza could easily wind up being the second-favorite (or favorite) Lexus for a number of people...especially thise driving the RX. It would probably be that way for me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-06-10, 01:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Would be the IS-F for sure.
Old 03-06-10, 01:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, we're sorry we offended you by not bringing them the Saturns and Buicks. I guess that was inconsiderate of us.

Again, on topic, a Lexus-version of the Venza could easily wind up being the second-favorite (or favorite) Lexus for a number of people...especially thise driving the RX. It would probably be that way for me.
No need to be sorry, in fact many here are glad that an on-topic response was made for a change without references to failed Buicks and Saturns. What a concept!

And I also feel the Venza is the best of the SUVs from Toyota/Lexus, at least for my needs.
Old 03-06-10, 01:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Would be the IS-F for sure.
Love the -F too.
Old 03-06-10, 02:41 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

news flash, the RX is the lexus venza. The only reason why they could even make the venza was by making the highlander a 7 passenger/more truck like family hauler. The venza is a five passenger cross over, much like the RX. Drop the RX about 3 inches and add 20 inch rims, and you got yourself a venza

its a toss up between the LSh and the ISf
Old 03-06-10, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No need to be sorry, in fact many here are glad that an on-topic response was made for a change without references to failed Buicks and Saturns. What a concept!
I don't deal in concepts. I stick with real vehicles.

And I also feel the Venza is the best of the SUVs from Toyota/Lexus, at least for my needs.
I wouldn't really call the Venza an SUV. It's actually more of a raised-suspension AWD Camry platform (though with a different body).....along the lines of the Subaru Outback being a raised-suspension AWD Legacy Wagon, the Volvo XC70 being a raised-suspension V70 wagon, and the Honda Crosstour being an AWD Accord hatchback. Subaru DOES classify the Outback as a truck, but that is done to take advantage of some some DOT/EPA standards, not because it is really an SUV or truck-based.

If you have not test-driven a Venza, try one out....it would make an excellent base for a Lexus version. I think you'll agree it is not a truck or an SUV either, but an AWD wagon. The 19-20" wheels (no, we won't get into another argument about them here) do give it a firmish ride, but not harsh or truckish by any means.
Old 03-06-10, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
news flash, the RX is the lexus venza.
I have to disagree. I've reviewed the Venza and both RX versions....350 and Hybrid. The Venza and RX, while sharing some common elements in the chassis and AWD systems, are, otherwise, two significantly different vehicles, especially in steering, ride, and handling.
Old 03-06-10, 03:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A Venza based Lexus would eat into sales of the better selling (for now) and highly profitable RX. From a business standpoint I could see why it probably won't materialize. If the RX was an older failing model something like that might pump some life into Lexus CUV sales but doubtful that will happen anytime soon.
Old 03-06-10, 09:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Why not a Lexus crossover. They have done pretty much every thing else and are starting new categories with their new luxury hybrid.

I would buy a Lexus that looked exactly like the Venza with a higher quality interior and maybe another 20 hp. I loving the Venza. I then the design is fresh and I like the shoulder lines. It gives it a more masculine and modern look. I am surprised I have not seen Venzas on the street with huge wheels and maybe even a drop. Thats what I would do with my Lexus version of the Venza. If they can make a profit on the RX they can make more with both. Although I love the refinement of the RX the exterior doesn't appeal to me. When I walk up on it the body does nothing for me. The interior on the other hand is literally class leading . The Venza Lexus has a nicer look, I am sure most will agree , and handles better
Old 03-06-10, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would buy a Lexus that looked exactly like the Venza with a higher quality interior and maybe another 20 hp. I loving the Venza.
Exactly. And your opinion is certainly not alone.

I am surprised I have not seen Venzas on the street with huge wheels and maybe even a drop.
Well, it already comes from the factory with huge 19-20" wheels. In fact, when I pointed that out earlier in the thread, I was accused of taking the thread off-topic (not from you, though).

And, as far as drops go, the height/ground clearance is there for a reason. Like the Outback, XC70, Crosstour, and, yes, the RX itself, the Venza is designed to go through deep snow. Of course, if snow is not an issue, then that's another matter.

Thats what I would do with my Lexus version of the Venza. If they can make a profit on the RX they can make more with both. Although I love the refinement of the RX the exterior doesn't appeal to me. When I walk up on it the body does nothing for me. The interior on the other hand is literally class leading . The Venza Lexus has a nicer look, I am sure most will agree , and handles better
I certainly agree. Like you, if a Lexus Venza was produced (and I don't end up with another Subaru), I'd take a serious look at it, especially if Toyota can get these gas-pedal problems dealt with satisfactorily. It would, though, probably be right around (or over) the limit that I'd care to spend on a new car. But, hey, I never got myself an official retirement gift......

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 10:36 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dream: LF-A
1st: LS 600h L cause it's better than LS 460L
2nd: GS-F cause we all know it's coming, if not GS460, man 2010 still has only 340hp, Lexus needs to step it up!
Old 03-06-10, 10:44 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I love my GS but the 2nd best in my opinion would be a tie between the ISF and the LS460
Exactly what I was about to write!