Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Saab 9-3 starts at $28,900 (info leaked)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 10:23 PM
LexFather

Post 2010 Saab 9-3 starts at $28,900 (info leaked)

http://www.saabsunited.com/2010/03/d...-saab-9-3.html

It feels a little awkward talking about introducing the 2010 Saab 9-3 in March, but for the US market, this is the reality we're living in.

I've just seen a price and equipment guide for the US model Saab 9-3 (and no, nothing for the Saab 9-5 yet) and there's a bunch of good news there, and just a little bit of neutral news and one downer.

The good news.....

* The Saab 9-3x is in the house, baby!!
* Prices are lower across the entire model range, from between $1,400 and $5,400 dollars lower, depending on the model. A lot of the price drop is due to the fact that there's no V6 option in the 2010 lineup (which is the big downer).
* The entire model range has been simplified, making it easier for customers, dealers and Saab as a manufacturer to get the most popular models out there without having to wade through so many options.

The neutral news.....

* One engine across all models. 2.0T will have 210hp regardless of whether it's the base, price leading model or the Aero. They really need to certify Hirsch in the US to get a 240hp option IMHO.

The downer.....

* Lack of a V6 option, as mentioned above. It's not a big seller, but just the fact that it was there was important.

------

The base model, FWD manual Saab 9-3 sedan is down from MSRP of $30,360 to $28,900. That's a drop of $1,460 for the 2010 model.

The biggest reduction comes on Aero models due to the lack of a V6. The Aero Sport Sedan and Convertible both drop by over $5,400 compared to the 2009 model offering.

The Saab 9-3x is priced at $36,975 and is available in the gas/XWD configuration only (i.e. no diesel/FWD as in Europe).

------

Option packages are as follows:

* Premium Package (Aero) includes: Memory driver seat, Power folding and Auto-dimming outside mirrors, Rear park assist
* Comfort Package (2.0T Sedan/Combi) includes: Power moonroof, Heated front seats, Headlamp washers, Express close for moonroof and front windows, Auto-dimming mirror with compass and universal garage door opener
* Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound System (2.0T Sedan) includes: Bose centerpoint surround sound speakers, 6-disc CD changer radio, XM satellite radio
* Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound System (2.0T Combi) includes: Bose centerpoint surround sound speakers, 6-disc CD changer radio, XM satellite radio
* Premium Package (9-3X) includes: Xenon cornering headlamps, 8-way power passenger seat, Memory driver seat, Rear park assist, Power folding and Auto-dimming outside mirrors
* Premium Sound System (2.0T Conv) includes: 11 Speakers, 300 Watts, 6-disc CD changer radio, XM satellite radio
* Comfort Package (2.0T Convertible) includes: Heated front seats, Headlamp washers, Auto-dimming mirror with compass and universal garage door opener
* Special Edition Package (2.0T Convertible) includes: Leather steering wheel, Xenon headlamps, XM satellite radio

Old 03-06-10, 06:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great that they lowered the price, however it's too bad that they couldn't get it down to $26k or so and really give buyers a reason to look. I say that because 210 HP from a 2.0L turbo just doesnt cut it anymore. Not for Saab anyway. Good riddens to the V6.

I still get very excited whenever I see the Turbo X. How bout we build off of that car eh?
Old 03-06-10, 06:40 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
210 HP from a 2.0L turbo just doesnt cut it anymore.
um that's all Audi has in the A4, and the A4 costs more...
Old 03-06-10, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

* One engine across all models. 2.0T will have 210hp regardless of whether it's the base, price leading model or the Aero. They really need to certify Hirsch in the US to get a 240hp option IMHO.
Though I'm not a speed freak by any means, I agree that the Aero version should probably have a little more spunk.....having the same engine as the base model won't cut it, marketing-wise.

ALL of this assumes three things, of course, for us in America (which the article does not completely address). First, that the latest Saab ownership deal will go through and stick. Though it currently looks promising (and hopefully, is done), it could still fizzle out, as a few former deals have. Second, of course, Saab's new owners would have to agree to stay in the American market, despite a recent history of low sales and low profitability. Third, where the design of new/future Saabs is going to come from. For a number of years now, Saab designs have come from GM and Subaru platforms. That, of course, will probably no longer be the case if Saab is sold of, unless GM agrees to keep some of them in production for the new ownership.
Old 03-06-10, 11:00 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
um that's all Audi has in the A4, and the A4 costs more...
Except the A4 has a buttload of Torque. The A4 has an S4 model with 300+ HP. That's why it's different. And the A4 should cost more, its a nicer vehicle.
Old 03-06-10, 11:59 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Except the A4 has a buttload of Torque. The A4 has an S4 model with 300+ HP. That's why it's different. And the A4 should cost more, its a nicer vehicle.
Ok maybe I should have said the Acura TSX has less horsepower and costs more
Old 03-06-10, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Needs ***** and a lower price tag .......like the its American counterparts . Saab is still not anything to brag about in terms of reliability and driving excitement. I would buy a G37 stripped before I went and bought a Saab.

36K for a SAAB?????..............Really?
Old 03-06-10, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Acura >>>>>>>>> SAAB. No brainer
Old 03-06-10, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saab is still not worth it at that price. I wouldn't touch it.
Old 03-07-10, 04:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Acura >>>>>>>>> SAAB. No brainer
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Saab is still not worth it at that price. I wouldn't touch it.
Old 03-07-10, 12:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Bottom line is generally you get what you pay for and a reputation means more than just discussion around the water cooler. SAAB sucks and has been putting out quirky unreliable cars for decades. I am surprised they kill Pontiac but this POS still lives
Old 03-07-10, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Bottom line is generally you get what you pay for and a reputation means more than just discussion around the water cooler. SAAB sucks and has been putting out quirky unreliable cars for decades. I am surprised they kill Pontiac but this POS still lives
A lot of Saab's former quirkiness changed when GM took over, as they became somewhat more mainstream, world-platform-based vehicles. In doing do, however, they lost some of their former customers who LIKED the quirkiness. As far as reliability goes, it was a mixed bag. The Subaru Impreza-based 9-2X, though short-lived, did pretty well, as to be expected. Others ranged from average to downright awful. Consumer Reports has recent figures only for the 9-3, which has improved to average and is now on the Recommended list.
Old 03-08-10, 08:52 AM
seanlee
Driver

how much you wanna bet the dealer will have at least 5000 dollar cash back for that car?

speaking of which, anyone EVER payed full price for a saab?