Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the HS250 on a sales hold or is it just selling really bad???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10 | 07:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the HS250 on a sales hold or is it just selling really bad???

My local Lexus dealer. Oakville Lexus has 11 HS250 on the lot right now. They are now parking the HS on fire route lanes against a fence because the lot is so full.

It seems that either the HS is on a sales hold because of the brake issue or it is just not selling well.

Any thoughts by anyone?

Last edited by pagemaster; 03-07-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-07-10 | 07:15 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

They are probably trying to gouge people with the ridiculous and made up "market adjustment".
Old 03-07-10 | 07:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

from what ive heard because there is a voluntary recall on the HS, i think buyers are probably looking elsewhere, such as the IS and ES- both entry level luxuries as well.
Old 03-07-10 | 08:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a buddy who has one but I have to admit I think I have seen like 2 on the road including his. I think its a recall thing because the car seemed like it did pretty well the first month out . We will have to wait and see
Old 03-07-10 | 08:19 PM
LexFather

Thanks for stirring the pot. Did it ever occur to you that the HS was recently part of the recall... You know the big shoddy mess.

So yes sales are down. Gas prices also remain relatively low and this is a hybrid first with other merits not as strong.

At this point what positive threads do you start here about Lexus on a Lexus forum?
Old 03-07-10 | 08:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've seen a few around. Pointed one out to my sister yesterday, a Manhattan resident looking to buy a car. She said that the HS really suits her needs as an advancing professional living in the city.
Old 03-07-10 | 08:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for stirring the pot. Did it ever occur to you that the HS was recently part of the recall... You know the big shoddy mess.

So yes sales are down. Gas prices also remain relatively low and this is a hybrid first with other merits not as strong.

At this point what positive threads do you start here about Lexus on a Lexus
forum?
This is a valid thread. I am simply asking if it is selling well. If it is from the recall then so be it.....but if it is from a average product or overpriced rebadge then I really believe it should be valid to be discussed.

You can't fool the consumer, good products whether it is movies, music, food or cars sell, and sell well.

Please don't take this the wrong way. This is not a bash, not a bish and intended to offend anyone. Its just a valid question
Old 03-07-10 | 09:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen a single one in Vegas...
Old 03-07-10 | 09:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Any thoughts by anyone?
Pagemaster, I hope you understand that for what it is, the HS doesn't need to break sales records to be successful.

I think the HS is in a marketing dilemma.

I rarely see any ads or commercials for it. Car magazines have no sense of merit to talk about it's horsepower ratings nor 0-60 mph times. You don't see it as a product placement in shows or movies.

Here's my opinion: Lexus wanted to sell the HS as a lifestyle purchase. Lexus marketed the HS not to sell a car, but an alternative lifestyle; like living organic and green. The HS is a statement, rather than a product.

And Lexus failed to sway the masses. Now, that doesn't mean the failed on their purpose. Lexus did sway quite a few people.

I think Lexus did a great job making a car that is what they wanted to make: something green, recyclable, organic, and future-forward.
No other car company can say that under their breathe...
Old 03-07-10 | 09:26 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw 8 of them on the road today. After that I stopped paying attention since they were all silver lol
Old 03-07-10 | 09:31 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

They are quite popular here in Queens, NY i've seen a number of them here.
Old 03-07-10 | 09:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Pagemaster, I hope you understand that for what it is, the HS doesn't need to break sales records to be successful.

I think the HS is in a marketing dilemma.

I rarely see any ads or commercials for it. Car magazines have no sense of merit to talk about it's horsepower ratings nor 0-60 mph times. You don't see it as a product placement in shows or movies.

Here's my opinion: Lexus wanted to sell the HS as a lifestyle purchase. Lexus marketed the HS not to sell a car, but an alternative lifestyle; like living organic and green. The HS is a statement, rather than a product.

And Lexus failed to sway the masses. Now, that doesn't mean the failed on their purpose. Lexus did sway quite a few people.

I think Lexus did a great job making a car that is what they wanted to make: something green, recyclable, organic, and future-forward.
No other car company can say that under their breathe...
I agree with "MOST" of what your'e saying, however at the end of the day the HS line needs to be profitable... otherwise the car will be discountinued after 3-4 years... then that will make it the most unsuccessful Lexus Ever...
Old 03-07-10 | 09:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The HS 250h is Lexus' best-selling model in Japan, that's why the sales allocation for the US was lowered by some 5,000-10,000 units...target around 20,000 units for this year, which may yet be revised. Of the allocation that is here, some reports (as in here) suggest the model is not moving as quickly as other Lexus vehicles...we'll see how the numbers for total sales and possibly days on lot turn out.

My estimation is that the HS 250h is a 'tester' model like the ES 250, LX 450, etc. where it is brought to market to see if a new segment will work. If it does, a new redesign will follow which is much more targeted.
Old 03-07-10 | 09:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I agree with "MOST" of what your'e saying, however at the end of the day the HS line needs to be profitable... otherwise the car will be discountinued after 3-4 years... then that will make it the most unsuccessful Lexus Ever...
It would be foolish for anyone to build cars that are unprofitable. Maybe less profitable, but that doesn't mean it's unprofitable. The HS is definitely not Lexus' bread-&-butter; they'll leave that to the RX and ES.
Old 03-07-10 | 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't think the recall fiasco has gone on long enough to effect HS sales on a grand scale. It takes months of something like that to make an impact on what we see on the road.
Having said that, I haven't seen too many in L.A. since inception. And I believe it's rolly-polly styling and marginal mpg's advantage is the main reason.

Quick Reply: Is the HS250 on a sales hold or is it just selling really bad???