Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

100 horsepower limit for motorcycles proposed by the European Commission

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 09:47 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Take Harley bikes here in the U.S., for instance. I can't remember the last time I've seen (or heard) one with the factory mufflers still on. The first thing that 99% of new Harley owners do, when they first take delivery of their bikes, is to cut the mufflers off and run straight pipes, not only increasing power by eliminating back-pressure, but also making enough noise to wake up the dead. Technically, that is covered by local noise ordinances, but, again, those are more examples of laws that are rarely (or inadequately) enforced.
I thought they were supposed to be that loud. Scary loud. Cool to know that it's not so.
Old 03-09-10, 10:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't care because :

1. It's Europe

2. It's motorcycles

Be careful.

They might suggest a 150hp limit on cars soon...
Old 03-09-10, 10:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
WTF is wrong with the EC?!?!?!

arrrrg at least Brits rule, the French drool.... lol

I wonder if bike makers will resort to a JDM style "276" bhp Gentleman's agreement?
@MR_F1

Or how in Japan (AFAIK), more than 90% of the cars there have a max. speed of 180 km/h.

Old 03-09-10, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,358 Likes on 1,545 Posts

The 55-mph limit was imposed back in the days (early-mid 1970s) when cars were nowhere near as efficient as they are today. ... And it was never really enforced to start with...it COULDN'T be, because too many millions of people routinely violated it every day.
In many ways, the 55-MPH limit never really existed. So many people routinely violated it that it was like Prohibition back in the 1920's. It was simply a paper law, not one in actuality.
wow, i don't know what roads you were driving on. i got a ticket doing 62 in a 55 one time in PA, and a couple others going over 55. i also got a ticket doing 70 on a 55 in oklahoma. it SUCKED! in PA they had routine planes flying over the turnpike to catch "speeders" going over 55. did i say it SUCKED!?
Old 03-09-10, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, i don't know what roads you were driving on. i got a ticket doing 62 in a 55 one time in PA, and a couple others going over 55. i also got a ticket doing 70 on a 55 in oklahoma. it SUCKED! in PA they had routine planes flying over the turnpike to catch "speeders" going over 55. did i say it SUCKED!?
Most of the roads I drove on, especially in the D.C. area, were so crowded, with so many people going substantially over the limit, that adequate enforcement was difficult, if not impossible. Probably not one out of a thousand speeders got even as much as a warning, much less a ticket. That's WHY so many people sped so much......the chances of getting caught, even without radar detectors (they are illegal in VA) were minimal at best.

I drove the PA Turnpike myself, across the mountains to Ohio, during that period, a couple of times. The speed trap/enforcement rate was somewhat more effective than in the D.C. area because the traffic was not as heavy (the D.C. area has the worst traffic in the country outside of CA), but, even then, the PA State Troopers couldn't begin to deal with everyone. If you got tickets in PA and OK, it was probably just the luck of the draw more than any REAL enforcement. It's like the cops shooting blindfolded at a row of moving ducks......every once in a while, by chance, they will actually HIT one.

And, even where enforcement IS effective, the 62-in-a-55 ticket you got is rather unusual. Usually, on Interstates, cops generally don't bother you unless you are doing more than 10 MPH over the limit. Same, BTW, with speed photo-cameras.

I only brought this subject up in the first place to compare a proposed 100 HP rule for motorcycles (the thread topic) to failed national speed limits here. Even if the HP limit is enforced at the factory, Bikers will surely be able to beat the system and get around it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 08:35 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware of the European union, they are becoming more and more powerful. If someone wants to buy a high powered bike and has the money, it is their choice. btw many in he EU want to get rid of the autobahn, put really low speed limiters on cars and have crazy mileage and emissions standards.
Old 03-09-10, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Beware of the European union, they are becoming more and more powerful. If someone wants to buy a high powered bike and has the money, it is their choice. btw many in he EU want to get rid of the autobahn, put really low speed limiters on cars and have crazy mileage and emissions standards.

What's happening in much of Europe is that increasing traffic density is catching up to the world of high-speed roads and high-powered vehicles....apparantly, motorcycles too.
Old 03-10-10, 06:20 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In this day of speeding cameras and standardized license plates that can be scanned, imagine the income boost states could gain from a 55 MPH speed limit. Especially if anything under, say, 20 MPH over the limit would be designated as a fine-only ticket of $10 with no points and no court appearance, unless you don't pay.