Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

100 horsepower limit for motorcycles proposed by the European Commission

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 09:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 100 horsepower limit for motorcycles proposed by the European Commission

Hell will break loose if the U.S. tries to pull this crap off...

100 horsepower limit threat
By Steve Farrell
MCN News Link

Motorcycles could be subjected to 100bhp power limits under proposals to be set out by the European Commission this summer.

The Commission is expected to propose European-wide consistency on the issue, raising the prospect that countries will have to change in line with France, where a 100bhp limit is already in place. (Stupid France!)

The Department for Transport (DfT) has asked British motorcycle groups for opinions on the plans in anticipation of the consultation. A spokesman for the Motor Cycle Action Group (MAG) said: “The DfT has been asking us for our opinion on this and we’ve very clearly come out against a power limit for the United Kingdom.” (Yeah Brits!!!)

He said the proposals were also likely to include ABS for all new bikes. “A 100bhp limit is back on the EU agenda as part of a package of fresh controls which includes mandatory ABS.”

A draft version of the proposals published last year said of the current inconsistency between countries: “This creates a situation where a motorcycle above 74 kW [100bhp] type-approved in one country is refused in another one. This type of situation is not in line with the spirit of the internal market.

“On the other hand, it emerged from dedicated studies that the link between engine power and increase of safety cannot be demonstrated. Based on this, the Commission intends to propose an harmonisation of the EC legislation on that matter.”
Old 03-08-10, 09:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Europeans are out of control with their limitations and restrictions on anything related to commuting, traffic, or being video taped for that matter
Old 03-09-10, 06:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

is there anything negative with ABS? I would like to see that - it would decrease the price of ABS systems for motorcycles quite quickly.
Old 03-09-10, 06:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Europe is such a miserable.... errrr, sophisticated place
Old 03-09-10, 06:58 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just another reason for my to not like france, right under my french ex! hahahaha
Old 03-09-10, 07:00 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF is wrong with the EC?!?!?!

arrrrg at least Brits rule, the French drool.... lol

I wonder if bike makers will resort to a JDM style "276" bhp Gentleman's agreement?
Old 03-09-10, 07:04 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whew, I thought the proposed HP limit was on cars. Back to the days of the old Beetle and Trabant. Aaaack!
Old 03-09-10, 08:03 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't mind this actually.
Old 03-09-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=caddyowner;5296207]Whew, I thought the proposed HP limit was on cars.

Same here. 100 HP goes a lot further on a bike than it does a car.

Back to the days of the old Beetle and Trabant. Aaaack!
No. It wouldn't be that grim. Air-cooled Beetle engines, for the American market, varied from only 36 to 72 HP, depending on model year and trim level. Early Trabants started out at some 25 HP....I don't remember with the later figures were, but they weren't anywhere near 100 HP.
Old 03-09-10, 09:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't care because :

1. It's Europe

2. It's motorcycles

Old 03-09-10, 09:03 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The EU proposes a lot, talks a lot about the proposals, and then generally quietly drops the ideas. I believe this was originally proposed in 1994.
Old 03-09-10, 09:09 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Europe is such a miserable.... errrr, sophisticated place
The US is not averse to this sort of thing. Do you remember the 55mph limit? Now that was sophisticated.
Old 03-09-10, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The US is not averse to this sort of thing. Do you remember the 55mph limit? Now that was sophisticated.
The 55-mph limit was imposed back in the days (early-mid 1970s) when cars were nowhere near as efficient as they are today. You had many big dinosaurs getting 8-15 MPG.....on premium fuel. And it was never really enforced to start with...it COULDN'T be, because too many millions of people routinely violated it every day.
Old 03-09-10, 09:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I remember, it was worse and lame.

Also valid point about proposing versus implementation.
Old 03-09-10, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I remember, it was worse and lame.
In many ways, the 55-MPH limit never really existed. So many people routinely violated it that it was like Prohibition back in the 1920's. It was simply a paper law, not one in actuality.

A 100 HP limit for new bikes could probably be enforced at the design/ factory level, but, I'd bet the monthly rent that it couldn't in the hands of actual bikers. Take Harley bikes here in the U.S., for instance. I can't remember the last time I've seen (or heard) one with the factory mufflers still on. The first thing that 99% of new Harley owners do, when they first take delivery of their bikes, is to cut the mufflers off and run straight pipes, not only increasing power by eliminating back-pressure, but also making enough noise to wake up the dead. Technically, that is covered by local noise ordinances, but, again, those are more examples of laws that are rarely (or inadequately) enforced.

Quick Reply: 100 horsepower limit for motorcycles proposed by the European Commission