Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Mercedes to launch B-Class-based hatchback, CUV in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 10:29 PM
LexFather

Post Report: Mercedes to launch B-Class-based hatchback, CUV in U.S.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/08/r...ck-cuv-in-u-s/

Here in the United States, the Mercedes-Benz product portfolio starts off with the C-Class sedan. Those familiar with the alphabet may realize that there are at least two available letters before 'C' that would theoretically allow the German automaker to offer something a bit less expensive before graduating up the ranks to the likes of the E-Class and S-Class, in all their assorted variations.

Wouldn't you know it, Mercedes has seen fit to fill those two pre-C-Class slots with A- and B-Class ranges across the Pond (okay, so Canada gets the B as well), and we've been hearing rumblings for quite some time that one of these models might make its way Stateside before too long. Those rumors gain new traction today with this report from Automotive News, which suggests that a compact car and a "small SUV" (read: crossover) may soon be in the offing in the U.S.

AN says that Mercedes-Benz plans to launch the next version of its B-Class in Europe in 2011, and that's the likely candidate for conversion to be sold here in the States. Included amongst the powertrain options will reportedly be some kind of fossil fuel alternative, perhaps either an electric version or one powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.

All of this news would seem to gibe with what Autoblog sources within MB have told us in recent days. While earlier reports indicated that the recently launched F 800 Style concept sedan was an indicator of the next CLS or E-Class, we now understand that the Geneva Motor Show star is actually more of a hat-tip regarding the next C-Class, a vehicle that is slated to grow slightly in order to better accommodate new models slotting in below it. Incidentally, we hear that the F-800's controversial snout is in fact a near match for the next-gen E, and that America could receive a sedan version of the rumored B-Class lineup as well.

So, when might we expect all this to go down? Depends. Says Joachim Schmidt, sales and marketing chief at MB, "The behavior of Americans depends on fuel prices. Nevertheless, we see a trend also toward fuel-efficient cars."

Old 03-09-10, 12:58 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh? US doesn't have the B? Canada does.....
Old 03-09-10, 01:07 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canada has this model. Its pretty silly looking and for Mercedes to have this in their line-up is a bit of a shame. I can't imagine going into the dealer with the AMG S-Class and being stuck in line behind a guy with a B class.
Old 03-09-10, 02:17 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Canada has this model. Its pretty silly looking and for Mercedes to have this in their line-up is a bit of a shame. I can't imagine going into the dealer with the AMG S-Class and being stuck in line behind a guy with a B class.
They are used as taxis in Tallinn

Old 03-09-10, 11:13 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Personally, I want to see more A-class (like this fantastic W169 model below):

Old 03-09-10, 11:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The MB guys have been talking about the B-class coming to the US for over 2 years.
Old 03-09-10, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting. At the D.C. Auto Show in January, the M-B reps said that the B-class, if it made it to the U.S. market, would probably be a hybrid or fuel-cell vehicle like the Honda FCX. There was no mention of a cute-ute (besides the existing small GLK)......but, of course, the thread data here is more up-to-date and probably supersedes anything we heard in January.

I've told the M-B people, myself, several times, that I didn't see any reason why either the A or B-Class couldn't be marketed here...and that dropping the small C230 2-door Kompressor coupe in the American market was a mistake. In fact, M-B's smallest product, the Smart-for-Two, is doing quite well here in America, though not marked directly by M-B but by the Penske Automotive Group.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 12:16 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

if this makes it over, it would be great so the CT wont get dissed as much.
Old 03-09-10, 12:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, so it still is TBD when it comes to the B-class in the US from Mercedes.

Note: Mercedes has wisely chosen to keep it's distance from Smart in the US, via the Penske distribution and dealership system. Smart US sales have been in a serious death spiral over the last year (2008 sales: 24,622 vs. 2009 sales: 14,595 and the monthly trends are even more troubling)
Old 03-09-10, 02:22 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

If this does come over to the US, I will have a new least favorite MB design. That honor is currently held by the last-generation C-class hatchback.
Old 03-09-10, 03:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

This is just a four door smart car..
Old 03-09-10, 03:22 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what? we've had the car here in canada for years.

i think it's ugly.
Old 03-09-10, 05:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Personally, I want to see more A-class (like this fantastic W169 model below):

I considered an A as a second vehicle in Mexico at one point. They were all over the place.
Old 03-09-10, 05:28 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MB will also sell the Sprinter diesel van in the US soon.

So next time you're shopping for a $100K sedan, a diesel work van and a sub-compact car, hit the MB dealer. They have you covered
Old 03-09-10, 05:30 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
what? we've had the car here in canada for years.

i think it's ugly.
+1 ... every time I see one I'm *ugh, no*

Quick Reply: Report: Mercedes to launch B-Class-based hatchback, CUV in U.S.