Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can anyone confirm that a car can be shifted to Neutral when engine is racing up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 03:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes I can't tell if people are complete and utter idiots or just trolling at Toyota's expense.
Old 03-09-10, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I dont think anyone has ever able to re-create event where brakes fail to stop the vehicle. Even Gilbert said that brakes would stop the vehicle.

Why is the story fishy? Prius has SMART PEDALS INSTALLED. When you press the brakes in Prius, gas pedal is over-ridden... your car stops right away.

Here is PriusChat story... they also have Youtube of their own test on Gen2 Prius and braking under WOT:
http://priuschat.com/news/why-out-co...ver-is-full-it
Old 03-09-10, 03:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sometimes I can't tell if people are complete and utter idiots or just trolling at Toyota's expense.
c) all of the above
Old 03-09-10, 04:01 PM
fwei4x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
yeah, that's probably the only reason to explain why people are all saying they failed to put the car to neutral, cos that's gonna cost TOYOTA.
Old 03-09-10, 04:08 PM
fwei4x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont think anyone has ever able to re-create event where brakes fail to stop the vehicle. Even Gilbert said that brakes would stop the vehicle.

Why is the story fishy? Prius has SMART PEDALS INSTALLED. When you press the brakes in Prius, gas pedal is over-ridden... your car stops right away.

Here is PriusChat story... they also have Youtube of their own test on Gen2 Prius and braking under WOT:
http://priuschat.com/news/why-out-co...ver-is-full-it
this entire toyota drama is fishy. all of a sudden, toyota cars, all year all model s starts to accelerate.. brake fails, can't shift to Neutral. I don't believe the media but when i see victims wrote such things in their blogs in such a convincing way, i'm totally lost...
Old 03-09-10, 04:16 PM
fwei4x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is nothing to be scared of. Do not let
-dumb people
-dumb media people
-twisted results
-lawyers looking to make a buck

intimidate you. The cars are fine. The car can be slapped in neutral or you can hold the power button. The brakes WILL also slow the vehicle down if you slam on them.

If you didn't know this it just adds more confirmation that our drivers test is a complete joke and people that do know how to drive and take care of things in emergency situations are surrounded by drivers who know how many cupholders their car has but doesn't know how to stop a car.
I agree. i start to questioning myself is because I can't believe many people having problem shifting the gear to neutral according to the media/victims involved in this TOYOTA mess. if they forgot to do so that's one thing, but if they clearly stated they can't do so, i'd rather be safe to think twice...

looks like i worried too much lol

Last edited by fwei4x; 03-09-10 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 04:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Where's the media uproar for the GM 1.3mil recall? O that's right, it's a USDM manufacturer owned by the govt, why would the media that follows the govt report something bad about them.....bash Toyota, make them look bad and drive people to GM.....low blow scheme in my book.

OP: Yes you can, I had an SC4, and the TRAC light would come on sometimes on the highway, I would shift to neutral, shut the car off, going 65mph mind you, start it up, would clear the TRAC light, and shift right back into D. Cant' say it was super healthy for the transmission, but it did work.
Old 03-09-10, 04:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fwei4x
that's what I think too, but according to what I read, nobody has a functioning brake when that unintended acceleration happened... don't know what to believe now..
car and driver proved that the Camry/ES350 brakes can outpower even the 280 hp V6. Heck even Audi 5000 brakes could outpower the engine under WOT. Anyone that says the brakes didnt work didnt press hard enough and/or are idiots
Old 03-09-10, 04:27 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

We might need a sticky on this...
Old 03-09-10, 04:36 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as a side note, the brakes will always slow the vehicle down. my diesel makes 800 ft lbs of torque and even on that truck, i can floor the fuel pedal and hit the brake with the other foot and the truck slows down, and let me tell you, the brakes on the truck are nothing special!
so there's no way a 300 ft lb engine will overwhelm the brakes on any toyota.
and yes, any car can be put in N at any speed. the engine and throttle are compeltely seperate systems from the trans and shifter mechanism.

Last edited by 19psi; 03-10-10 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 04:43 PM
fwei4x
Driver School Candidate

thanks all.
Old 03-09-10, 06:18 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just make sure u dont have autozone floormats on the nice OEM ones..
Old 03-09-10, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is nothing to be scared of. Do not let
-dumb people
-dumb media people
-twisted results
-lawyers looking to make a buck

intimidate you. The cars are fine. The car can be slapped in neutral or you can hold the power button. The brakes WILL also slow the vehicle down if you slam on them.

If you didn't know this it just adds more confirmation that our drivers test is a complete joke and people that do know how to drive and take care of things in emergency situations are surrounded by drivers who know how many cupholders their car has but doesn't know how to stop a car.
I agree that (with an automatic transmission), if the car is moving forward if/when the throttle sticks, it's not necessarly a big deal, because getting it into neutral is a quicker, simpler task and the car is easier to steer. But if the throttle sticks in reverse, that can be a much more serious matter. The car is then much harder to control/steer as speed climbs, and, in most cases, a secondary lock-out button on the top or side of the shifter has to be pressed before the shifter will come out of reverse....so it takes a little longer to actually get it in neutral.
Old 03-09-10, 09:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bad co
are you speaking from experiance, do you have any research, or is it just what "you think"?
Please go post here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...uv-in-u-s.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-judgment.html

Yes I'm speaking from experience having owned multiple Lexus, driven almost every one produced in most driving conditions road/track and having driven dozens of other cars, including many Toyotas.

I have tapped the gas AND brake at the same time and of course the engine surged. It was MY FAULT. I didn't go blaming the car. The one major time was when I cleaned my car and didn't secure the mat and it slipped. I didn't panic like a 3 year old, I simply pulled the mat back and pulled over and secured it.

No car is perfect. We have data showing EVERY BRAND has reports of "unintended acceleration". That leads me to believe
1. It is human error
2. Its a sad fact but CARS ARE NOT PERFECT they are even more COMPLICATED and there will be some that have issues.
3. Its not limited to Toyota.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that (with an automatic transmission), if the car is moving forward if/when the throttle sticks, it's not necessarly a big deal, because getting it into neutral is a quicker, simpler task and the car is easier to steer. But if the throttle sticks in reverse, that can be a much more serious matter. The car is then much harder to control/steer as speed climbs, and, in most cases, a secondary lock-out button on the top or side of the shifter has to be pressed before the shifter will come out of reverse....so it takes a little longer to actually get it in neutral.
I believe most new cars have sensors where if you are driving in D and you slap it in Reverse by accident the software (more computers ) will not put the car in Reverse and put it in Neutral. Don't quote me but I do believe so.

Mike, I have experienced in the past the engine accelerating and it was MY FAULT as my foot was on the gas AND the brake. It was 100% my fault as soon as I corrected my feet the problem stopped. I've noticed it happens (still rarely) when I wear Timberland work boots (I think we both have big feet).

Old 03-10-10, 01:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by fwei4x
Hey guys,

I have a 06 Lexus IS 250 AUTO, I wasn't so scared about the SUA issue because I know I'd shift to Neutral when that happens to me. But after I read the news about this Tuesday's runaway Prius incident, I am not sure any more. Do we really know that we can shift to Neutral even when the engine is in high rev or the car in high speed with the throttle wide open? I know in theory we should be able to, but have anybody tried this? What about on the IS250? I believe after so many cases of the same problem that happened, people would've already known that they should put the car to neutral, but still **** like that happens, so I can't stop wondering if there's some kind of interlock (computer controlled) that prevents you from shifting to neutral when the RPM is high.

When the car goes wrong, all the common sense may not apply, especially if it is electronic related. I know for my IS 250, we can press and hold the start button for 3 seconds and the engine will shut off. But under that circumstance, will it really work? It'd better work coz it's gonna be my last resort if I failed to shift to Neutral, as I know the brake is not gonna work for sure

Thanks,
Willie
I am currently driving a fully loaded 2010 RX450h AWD (Truffle Mica/Ivory). I have tested this tonight in different driving conditions including highway speeds and here are my results...

-Holding the POWER button (START/STOP for gasoline models) for 3 seconds at 70mph, engine power shuts off, vehicle slows down to a coast. Was able to apply brakes (from booster reserve) and maneuver vehicle. CHECK.

-Accelerator floored at WOT going 60 mph, applied brakes simultaneously, vehicle slowed down and gas engine went to idle state. CHECK

-Accelerator floored at WOT going 70 mph, vehicle speed increased, I shifted into neutral, engine power cut down to idle state, vehicle speed decreased until I hit the brakes. CHECK

-Accelerator floored at WOT going 60 mph, I allowed vehicle to speed up to 80 mph, as soon as I applied brake with left foot and still had my right foot planted WOT, vehicle acceleration ceased and I was able to slow vehicle down with the braking power. CHECK

Considering the RX450h has combined 295 hp from a 3.5L V6 and hybrid electric power to the front and rear wheels, I was able to control the vehicle.

I'm a full believer all the "panic" instances including the questionable Prius incident yesterday morning were from people not using common sense, and instead let hysteria and panic take over their good defensive driving judgement.

Quick Reply: Can anyone confirm that a car can be shifted to Neutral when engine is racing up?