Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can anyone confirm that a car can be shifted to Neutral when engine is racing up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 08:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milla...
Are you guys really risking your cars doing these test?
All you're doing is proving what can be done technically, with your specific car. Do anyone have a prius they want to test for us?
I have four company prius' that I had checked, and my main concern was that in the event they deside to go skynet on my people even If they new exactly what to do, whose to say they'ed even have enough time to apply those steps even. That's more of a concern for me than anything. I'm trying not to worry about it now. Toyota did what they needed to do so....
I feel like if anything should happen to your company vehicles and your staff don't have enough time to "react" and slow down the car--then the incident won't be that big. The Prius does not accelerate that quickly, and needs time to get up to speed. Even if they were already doing 65mph, to get up to speeds deemed dangerous (which is basically where the Prius runs out of steam anyway)--it would take quite a number of seconds before the issue became "serious."
Old 03-10-10, 08:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The OP didn't quite word his question correctly - what has been said is that the engine torque keeps the car in gear when RPM's are within 500-1000 of redline combined with WOT.

Has anyone tested this situation specifically?
On a hybrid with CVT, that's nearly impossible to guage what RPM the engine is running. If you are in DRIVE mode and you floor it, the engine rpm will climb to the limit set by the ECU.

Yes I have tested this on the RX450h. If you haven't see my results check post#30.

Originally Posted by Milla...
Are you guys really risking your cars doing these test?
All you're doing is proving what can be done technically, with your specific car. Do anyone have a prius they want to test for us?
I have four company prius' that I had checked, and my main concern was that in the event they deside to go skynet on my people even If they new exactly what to do, whose to say they'ed even have enough time to apply those steps even. That's more of a concern for me than anything. I'm trying not to worry about it now. Toyota did what they needed to do so....

Not at all, the trans and main ECM of the car is smart enough to cut off power safely without problems. The test already has been done yesterday. Check this video clip.
Old 03-11-10, 04:09 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I feel like if anything should happen to your company vehicles and your staff don't have enough time to "react" and slow down the car--then the incident won't be that big. The Prius does not accelerate that quickly, and needs time to get up to speed. Even if they were already doing 65mph, to get up to speeds deemed dangerous (which is basically where the Prius runs out of steam anyway)--it would take quite a number of seconds before the issue became "serious."
that's exactly what i was going to say. anybody who claims that they couldn't react quickly enough when their prius "sped out of control" needs to work on their emergency response reactions or quit driving altogether. those cars are so slow, they'd have plenty of time to realize what's happening, and then move their right arm a few inches to push the shifter. if anyone can't do that in a few seconds, they need to be removed from public roads altogether because the rest of us aren't safe with them out there in the event any other type of emergency happens which doesn't give them as much time to react.
Old 03-11-10, 04:13 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The OP didn't quite word his question correctly - what has been said is that the engine torque keeps the car in gear when RPM's are within 500-1000 of redline combined with WOT.

Has anyone tested this situation specifically?
so someone is saying that the engine is preventing the transmission from being shifted to neutral at high engine speeds?
that's impossible; the transmission shifter is completely independent of any outside control aside from the person moving the shifter. the shifter cable doesn't care how fast teh engine is spinning, it will do whatever the driver makes it do. if you put it in N, it will shift the trans out of gear.