Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The most troubled automaker of 2010? It's not Toyota...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 10:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The headline is misleading and off. Toyota's current preceived problems relate to quality and potential defects. Chrysler's problems related to lack of product and slow sales. Not talking about the same two things here and the companies shouldn't be listed together.
Old 03-11-10, 12:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The headline is misleading and off. Toyota's current preceived problems relate to quality and potential defects. Chrysler's problems related to lack of product and slow sales. Not talking about the same two things here and the companies shouldn't be listed together.
Toyota problems relate to decreased sales for Toyota, and relate to their image and reputation.

Chrysler's problems are affecting their reputation, and their bad reputation and poor product is likely causing poor sales, leading to a vicious cycle. While not mentioned in the article, Chrysler cars also have numerous reliability problems, there are several NHTSA investigations going on with regard to Chrysler products that have not been recalled.

Also pay attention to the point the article is making; the most troubled automaker, not the automaker with the most recalls or most media attention.

Chrysler's problems are in-fact more serious than Toyota's.

So no, this article isn't all that misleading.
Old 03-11-10, 02:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota problems relate to decreased sales for Toyota, and relate to their image and reputation.

Chrysler's problems are affecting their reputation, and their bad reputation and poor product is likely causing poor sales, leading to a vicious cycle. While not mentioned in the article, Chrysler cars also have numerous reliability problems, there are several NHTSA investigations going on with regard to Chrysler products that have not been recalled.

Also pay attention to the point the article is making; the most troubled automaker, not the automaker with the most recalls or most media attention.

Chrysler's problems are in-fact more serious than Toyota's.

So no, this article isn't all that misleading.
Great points.
Maybe I am just upset Toyota was even mentioned in the same sentence as Chrysler. The two companies are so far apart there shouldn't be any parallel lines or comparison. I worry the average Joe Shmoe glancing over Mr. Media's headlines may not be as bright to seperate the two. Hearing the words Toyota and Chrysler in the same sentence is no good for Toyota.
Old 03-11-10, 03:47 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great points.
Maybe I am just upset Toyota was even mentioned in the same sentence as Chrysler. The two companies are so far apart there shouldn't be any parallel lines or comparison. I worry the average Joe Shmoe glancing over Mr. Media's headlines may not be as bright to seperate the two. Hearing the words Toyota and Chrysler in the same sentence is no good for Toyota.
In this case I definitely agree. Chrysler must feel really good they are even being mentioned together with Toyota .
Old 03-11-10, 05:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So are you expecting or hoping for Toyota to be troubled?
I'm expecting things to get worse before it's gets better.

Do you think the turn around has started?
Old 03-11-10, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

same crappy article as usual by CNN.. "most other manufacturers raised sales"... Uhm... GM sales went up only 8% and that was with huge fleet sales. So only Ford raised sales a lot, it did so by having 90% bigger incentives per car than Toyota.

Hows that different from Chrysler?

[QUOTE]Ford Motor Company (F) offered incentives costing $3,384 a year ago and $3,301 today. Toyota's year ago incentives cost was $1,682 compared with $1,833 this year. These figures are a testament to Toyota's strong brand identification with quality cars. As evidence, the company's sales in the first eight days of March spiked 50.5% compared with the same period a year ago. Company president Akio Toyoda expects March sales to make a full recovery.

A Gallup survey noted that 74% of Toyota customers say they have not lost confidence in the company and 82% believe the cars are safe. In the face of nearly 9 million recalled vehicles for acc[
/QUOTE]

http://www.investorplace.com/experts...honda-hmc.html
Old 03-12-10, 12:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm expecting things to get worse before it's gets better.

Do you think the turn around has started?
I think by early April, things could start to get better.

In this attention deficit society, the witch hunt can't last forever.
Old 03-12-10, 07:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
A Gallup survey noted that 74% of Toyota customers say they have not lost confidence in the company and 82% believe the cars are safe. In the face of nearly 9 million recalled vehicles for acc
[/QUOTE]

After the years that I spent working for Toyota and the family connections I have, I can tell you that I've never seen such a fiercly loyal group of people as Toyota owners. It's pretty insane actually...some of them are borderline cult-like.
Old 03-12-10, 07:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think by early April, things could start to get better.

In this attention deficit society, the witch hunt can't last forever.
Hopefully,the fraud Sikes guy,ABC's false report and the killing of Gilberts credibility will quicken the process.
Old 03-12-10, 07:25 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
I predicted a year ago that Chyrsler won't make it, too many quality issues and the UAW contract is still killing them !
Same here

Originally Posted by joe80
i thought chrysler was already dead..
They are... buh-bye
Old 03-12-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

After the years that I spent working for Toyota and the family connections I have, I can tell you that I've never seen such a fiercly loyal group of people as Toyota owners. It's pretty insane actually...some of them are borderline cult-like.
That was part of the problem right there....a continuing cultish devotion to the company in the face of its lowering standards. The company knew that it had a lot of groupies, got careless just like GM did decades ago, figured the public would keep on supporting them no matter what, and now is paying the price.

For example, 4-5 years ago I first started commenting, in public, on the cheapening overall quality of a number of new Toyota-designed products, though I first actually started noticing it around 2000. Yet the public still kept buying them like crazy (especially the Camry). I myself bought a new Lexus IS300 in 2001 (that's how I first joined CL, a couple of years later), but that was a redone Toyota Altezza, which was of superior quality, and whose design dated back several years before that.

BTW, we also see cultish loyalty to large domestic pickup trucks like the F-150, Silverado, and Ram....especially with the F-150.
Old 03-12-10, 12:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm one who doesn't agree with the notion that Toyota quality has decreased. On the contrary, in my view, they've consistently increased in overall quality as all cars have.

To some, perceived quality may seem less because the '90's used more soft materials. Today's materials and construction are more durable and doesn't wear nearly as quick.

Components are more tightly constructed and function with a better feel.

I guarantee you that today's Camry and Corolla last longer than the one's the '90's had to offer.

Never mind the stylistic superiority of today's interiors.

I'm saying this even after owning a '93 SC400 which was the best built car of the '90's with the best interior. My "cheap" Yaris interior feels more solidly built and will wear much less at 1/3 the price. Part of it is that plastic lasts longer than leather though.
Old 03-12-10, 04:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I'm one who doesn't agree with the notion that Toyota quality has decreased. On the contrary, in my view, they've consistently increased in overall quality as all cars have.

To some, perceived quality may seem less because the '90's used more soft materials. Today's materials and construction are more durable and doesn't wear nearly as quick.

Components are more tightly constructed and function with a better feel.

I guarantee you that today's Camry and Corolla last longer than the one's the '90's had to offer.

Never mind the stylistic superiority of today's interiors.

I'm saying this even after owning a '93 SC400 which was the best built car of the '90's with the best interior. My "cheap" Yaris interior feels more solidly built and will wear much less at 1/3 the price. Part of it is that plastic lasts longer than leather though.
In some areas, Toyota quality HAS decreased in the past several years unfortunately. They are taking steps to improve this.

In other areas, you're right that it has increased since the 90s.

Many competitors have also improved their quality.

Point is, Toyota has to raise the bar even higher to separate itself from the competition. Not just in perceived quality, but in actual reliability/durability as well.
Old 03-12-10, 04:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I agree, Toyota/Lexus are top tier in the quality department and every major automaker knows it.

I don't expect loyalty to Toyota to carry them and I think loyalty in the world of car buyers has been dwindling for years. They will need to move beyond this fiasco and continue to build products that rank near the top.
Old 03-12-10, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In some areas, Toyota quality HAS decreased in the past several years unfortunately. They are taking steps to improve this.
This is most noticeable in sheet metal, trim, and interior plastics/hardware. It got so bad on the Tundra that the tailgates were bending/warping under bed loads that F-150s and Silverados would laugh at.

In other areas, you're right that it has increased since the 90s.
The main increase has been in Toyota/Lexus paint jobs. They are (arguably) the best mass-produced paint jobs in the industry, if you define "best" as smoothness/evenness/gloss. Toyota also does a good job in powertrain smoothness (when the throttles don't stick) and noise isolation.

Many competitors have also improved their quality.
GM, Ford, Hyundai, and Kia can all attest to that....Hyundai, the most.

Quick Reply: The most troubled automaker of 2010? It's not Toyota...