Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How far do you park?
Park close as possible
13.21%
Park close, but leave a spot or two.
20.75%
Park far enough to claim it as a health benefit
50.94%
Park on the curb/grass if possible
15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

how far do you park?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 02:50 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how far do you park?

i usually park far out, but sometimes people just wanna park right next to the F. i don't really care as long as there's no damage.

Old 03-10-10, 02:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 808 Likes on 564 Posts

If I have the choice i usually park towards the back. Part of it is because there are less cars there and part of it is because I don't like having to search for parking. Of course if parking is closely contested I'll park wherever it's available
Old 03-10-10, 02:55 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I always look for curb spots, that way i can ensure at least one side of the vehicle is safe.
Old 03-10-10, 03:13 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well when I'm in one of the other cars (not the SC) I try to park by corner spots, curbs, poles (unless there are birds!).

Looks like both pics though the owners were conscious of parking next to you and probably doing it for the same reason you were. The Audi has a side mount plate and not just put into the center which could imply a) they care about their car's appearance and don't want holes in their bumper (assuming that's through a tow hook) b) they're a wannabe Evo and just want to be close to you... haha The Z looks to have favored the side furthest of his parking spot, also probably conscious of door dings on his black Z (which has crappy paint) and and his big doors.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 03-10-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 03:49 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2nd that, Z driver was parking next to you on purpose, and terrible parking on his part!

Since my car is pretty beat up... I don't care where I park. I usually park whenever I find a parking spot, if it's close, cool, if not, I'm fine with it. When I first got the car and it was in a much better condition, I cared and parked far out so I'd be away from the crowds, but meh...
Old 03-10-10, 04:52 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I also try to find spots away from people, but if thats not possible, then a side spot is what I look for. Then I park as close as possible to the curve or wall. Thats when Im driving my C. WIth my other cars, I just park wherever
Old 03-10-10, 05:08 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I park far out unless I have my wife (and her handicap placard) with me. Then we find a big handicap van spot.

I park in a private parking structure near my current gig. I just upgraded to reserved parking because a bunch of new folks are moving in next month. I will have careful parking neighbors in my new spot.
Old 03-10-10, 05:08 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Shade

I like to park in the shade usually. It would be nice to park as close possible but I do not have the patience to keep riding around the parking lot & I do not mind a walk ... it is not like the parking lot is that big.
Old 03-10-10, 05:18 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting poll.

I work part time at an upscale grocery store in an afluent area so this place is always busy. Its very hard to find a parking spot and usually its close to the cart return. It's terrible. But this also means that the car door being slammed into my Subaru is either an ES350 or a new Prius. I am not joking. I count them when I go into work.
Old 03-10-10, 06:27 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I park far away as possible and with every car I have, not just the Lexus. It has become a force of habit and the walk is good exercise anyway. Coolest story, one time at the mall, I parked really far away, and when I came out a brand new Dodge Viper GTS parked next to me and there were no other cars in the area!
Old 03-10-10, 08:52 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park as close I can to where I want/need to be.

Bought a car to drive, not walk
Old 03-10-10, 09:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm totally a pole seaker.

I don't want to park super far ('cause it rains a lot here) but most of our parking lots have poles, half walls, planters, obscure curbs or something else I can seek out and cozy up to.
Old 03-10-10, 09:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The parking spots in NY are so narrow. It was the same way in Boston. Its almost inevitable to have door dents. I am sure the paintless dent repair guys are doing well
Old 03-11-10, 06:03 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The parking spots in NY are so narrow. It was the same way in Boston. Its almost inevitable to have door dents. I am sure the paintless dent repair guys are doing well
And they do a good job too. ...I was recently run into by a brand new Mercury Mariner.
Old 03-11-10, 06:11 AM
LexFather

Ahhh from a thread of mine...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So at a shopping area TODAY I have to go into this store. As I pull up I see two douches in a Maxima and G35 parked in two spaces like they are driving Mclaren F1s. You know Douche two space style.

So to join the douche brotherhoood, I decide to park in reverse but since I have sense and I'm not a ******** I park in between the lines, you know, how you are supposed to park.

The next part is nuts. I was sitting in the car talking on the phone watching Batman when I see 3 cars pull up. One is a huge Government Motors truck which pulls into the spot in front of me, big chrome wheels, magnet vents, you know the type.

I get out my car to throw my trash in the garbage can and go inside. As I am waiting in line I turn and look at the window.

Super-Government Motors-Douche decides that his parking spot is not good enough, so he struggles to REVERSE and park as close to 1SICKLEX as possible and squeeze between two cars b/c I have to reverse park too and show everyone my $3 Pep Boys chrome magnet fender vents.

I tally another loss of common sense for humanity...... I think I will start looking for prime CAVE real estate in the Carribean...a nice cove with internet access...

Pic of the douche brotherhood below

Quick Reply: how far do you park?