Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Condensed Review: 2010 Honda Crosstour

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
I agree she needs to feel comfortable. Soon as she sat down she looked out the review mirror and then turned around and couldn't see out and she wasn't comfortable at all with the car after that. And this was in the showroom My wife is rather short so I'm sure that didn't help although I wasn't thrilled about the visibility either although I could get used to I think.

As you can tell I doubt she'll get past the, as you call it, 'peek-a-boo rear vision' but regardless thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinion.
That, of course, is an important matter, as many wives (and, of course, some husbands, too) spend a fair amount of time shopping, and have to park and manuver at close quarters in mall/supermarket parking lots, where you have to see what you are doing.

One thing that will help your wife, if she is short, is the wide range of seat adjustments from the multi-power-adjustable seats. That, plus the fact that the rear headrests can be removed if passengers are not regularly carried in the rear seat. The protruding rear headrests stick up in the rear line-of-vision and, in some cases, can contribute to the Peek-a-Boo effect.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-10 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 09:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Great review.
Thanks.

My wife and I looked at the Crosstour, but didn't drive it. Some of my findings that may not have been mentioned:
As indicated, it was a condensed review......I didn't do a long, narrative on each section like I often do.

- No cooled / ventilated seats. I have to have leather to transfer my wife easier, but I also need at least ventilation to make summer driving bearable to me.
The cloth, as is often the case, will probably be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than the overly-slippery leather. Too bad the cloth seats are not offered in the AWD versions.....a major marketing error that I did mention.

- Narrow cargo area between the rear shock towers. I carry a wheelchair and it basically has to go in the middle of the trunk rather than off to one side or the other.
Agreed.....in your case, you might be better off with a Pilot or CR-V.

- Large under-floor storage area, but because it is so large, as is the lid, you have to unload a lot of trunk area to access the storage area.
Yes, that's convienient, but it forces the spare tire out of the car down underneath the rear bumper, inside a large insulating cover, where, if you need to get at the spare, it can be a real PITA. Fortunately, spares are usually not needed that much nowadays.

- I really wanted a car with a trunk rather than a crossover with an open rear cargo area. The Crosstour has a very innovative set of covers over the cargo area that open with the rear hatch. The covers effectively seal the rear cargo like a trunk. With the covers removed, there is a bit more cargo height available, but, as Marshall noted, not a lot.
Well, of course, if you want a separate trunk, instead of a Crosstour, you can join the (approxmately) one zillion people driving a regular, conventional Accord sedan or coupe.
Old 03-11-10, 10:52 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Crosstour isn't that ugly in person, but I felt Honda could have done a better job of penning it. I miss the old Honda which was classically Japanese. Not trying to copy BMW, VW and Audi.
Old 03-11-10, 11:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
The Crosstour isn't that ugly in person, but I felt Honda could have done a better job of penning it. I miss the old Honda which was classically Japanese. Not trying to copy BMW, VW and Audi.
IMHO, the Crosstour is more ugly in person than in pictures.
Old 03-12-10, 06:16 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, of course, if you want a separate trunk, instead of a Crosstour, you can join the (approxmately) one zillion people driving a regular, conventional Accord sedan or coupe.
I bought the LS430, instead. It's the perfect vehicle for our needs.

I agree that the Crosstour looks better in person than in pictures. The back doesn't look as weird. I also think the new Honda front end looks better on a larger vehicle like the Crosstour.
Old 03-12-10, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
Well, for that matter, BMW isn't the old BMW either.....they went out the window when Chris Bangle came along. Audi is still pretty much to themselves, but VW sometimes does its share of copying too.....look, for example, how the CC styling imitates the Mercedes CLS, and how the Jetta imitates the Toyota Corolla.
Old 03-12-10, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Great purchase , if you don't need AWD traction. I like the 430 myself more than the 460. Smoother ride from higher-profile tires, more solid-feeling interior materials, and better wood trim inside.

I agree that the Crosstour looks better in person than in pictures. The back doesn't look as weird. I also think the new Honda front end looks better on a larger vehicle like the Crosstour.
You'll also notice that the Crosstour did not take the Accord's grille and front-end verbatim, but used slightly different styling. The chrome grille is larger and chunkier.
Old 03-12-10, 07:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It does look better in person than in pictures, as long as you're not looking at the back of the vehicle.
Old 03-12-10, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
It does look better in person than in pictures, as long as you're not looking at the back of the vehicle.
Or looking OUT the back.
Old 03-12-10, 03:12 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this car in person.

Love it. The pictures don't do it justice. I took a mechanic friend with me who thought it was ugly from the online pictures he saw. He favored the Toyota Venza. After seeing BOTH in person, he changed his opinions on both autos.

For the price, you get a lot of utility, space, and performance out of the Honda Crosstour. I personally like how it looks, but beauty is in the eye of the holder (isn't it always?).

I love and prefer Honda brand over Toyota brand (not counting the Lexus brand). In the past, my biggest gripe with Honda was their transmission and all their cars having interference engines, but after they fixed their tranny issues and started using timing chains, I think they are solid cars and you get much more performance and value for the price over a Toyota.
Old 03-12-10, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dadoody
I saw this car in person.

Love it. The pictures don't do it justice. I took a mechanic friend with me who thought it was ugly from the online pictures he saw. He favored the Toyota Venza. After seeing BOTH in person, he changed his opinions on both autos.

For the price, you get a lot of utility, space, and performance out of the Honda Crosstour. I personally like how it looks, but beauty is in the eye of the holder (isn't it always?).

I love and prefer Honda brand over Toyota brand (not counting the Lexus brand). In the past, my biggest gripe with Honda was their transmission and all their cars having interference engines, but after they fixed their tranny issues and started using timing chains, I think they are solid cars and you get much more performance and value for the price over a Toyota.
Thanks for the input. The Crosstour is indeed a good Subaru Outback competitor.......along with the Venza, one of the few we've seen in a long time from a lower-priced Japanese manufacturer. Ford produced the AWD Taurus X wagon/Freestyle for a few years, but then dropped it. There were the Volvo XC70 and Audi All-Road, but both were expensive, and the All-Road was also dropped. BMW and Mercedes make a few AWD wagons, but they are not raised-suspension models for deep snow, unless you get their SUVs.
Old 03-12-10, 05:24 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

An '05 Custom Luxury? Smart choice.
Old 03-12-10, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

my quick review: not that useful, not that interesting, stupendously ugly. fail in every way.
Old 03-12-10, 07:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only thing this new pig is useful for is helping one throw up when your sick and hunched over the toilet and nothing will come out. Just think of the Crosstour and the puking will begin.
Old 03-12-10, 07:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my quick review: not that useful, not that interesting, stupendously ugly. fail in every way.
I like your writing style.

Quick Reply: Condensed Review: 2010 Honda Crosstour