Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Toyota Yaris rendering and speculation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Post 2011 Toyota Yaris rendering and speculation

info here

http://autoten.com/2010/02/21/...830l/

2010 Toyota Yaris Rendering (Codename 830L)

The Toyota Yaris is to get the Full Model Change at october 2010 in Japan and will hit showroom start from january 2011 in Europe and other market like China and North America will get fellow soon. as report in realiable Mag-x Magazine the Toyota Yaris Full Model Change will nearly have the same dimention as old ones. As report 3815 MM long 1495 MM wide and 1510 MM height the exterior design will rarely differrent from the old model

in Japan there will be 4 engine to choose from 1.0 liter to 1.5 liter the new 3 cylinder 1.0 liter block 1KR front wheel drive will mate with CVT fuel consuption 23KM/L,block 1NR 4cylineder 1.3 liter with AWD will comsume 19km/lite the 2 wheel drive for 1NR will mate with CVT 26KM/L the biggest engine for Japan is New Block 2NR 4 cylender 1.5 liter offer with 5 MT (19KM/L) and CVT (21KM/L)

Old 03-11-10, 06:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it time for a redesign already?

I'm pretty sure they'll stick with one engine choice for the U.S. It needs to be at least 100hp, perhaps 120hp to compete with the Fit and Versa. That should give it a little edge over the Scion/Toyota iQ, which should come out with 100hp.
Old 03-11-10, 07:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The competition has more efficient powertrains than the current 1.5L in the Yaris. I hope Toyota has something better in the works. It would be sad if the Cruze could get 40 MPG but not the Yaris.
Old 03-11-10, 07:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty certain that the US is getting the new Yaris as a 2012 model. Could be out early 2011 though.
Old 03-11-10, 07:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is it time for a redesign already?

I'm pretty sure they'll stick with one engine choice for the U.S. It needs to be at least 100hp, perhaps 120hp to compete with the Fit and Versa. That should give it a little edge over the Scion/Toyota iQ, which should come out with 100hp.
The current one will be 5 years old already as of the 2011 model.

Some suggest that the Yaris needs a bump in power to "compete" with others such as the Fit and Versa. Fact is, the Yaris is already faster and yet more efficient than those cars. Surprised? Believe it or not, the Yaris is pretty quick for 106hp car. Especially with a stick.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The competition has more efficient powertrains than the current 1.5L in the Yaris. I hope Toyota has something better in the works. It would be sad if the Cruze could get 40 MPG but not the Yaris.
As of today's market, the Yaris is the most fuel efficient car available outside of a hybrid or Smart. Yes, the upcoming Cruze, Fiesta, and Focus are expected to set a new standard as they will have 6-speed transmissions. I agree that the next generation of Toyota's need to follow this trend. I can only imagine the numbers Toyota would have with 6-speeds (in Yaris and Corolla).
Old 03-11-10, 08:47 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I know that EPA testing is a good standard to go by, but my fiancee and I regularly get 40MPG in our Yaris on trips; we love this car. Butt can go numb on long trips though. :-D

I would have really prefered getting a stick though.
Old 03-11-10, 11:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another zany Mag-X rendering. That just looks like a blockier, chunkier version of the current Yaris. I doubt it will look like that.

Originally Posted by YARIS!
As of today's market, the Yaris is the most fuel efficient car available outside of a hybrid or Smart. Yes, the upcoming Cruze, Fiesta, and Focus are expected to set a new standard as they will have 6-speed transmissions. I agree that the next generation of Toyota's need to follow this trend. I can only imagine the numbers Toyota would have with 6-speeds (in Yaris and Corolla).
With 6-speed autos, the Corolla and Yaris should both be able to get over 40 mpg highway easily, and that's without updating the engines.
Old 03-12-10, 03:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danimal
I know that EPA testing is a good standard to go by, but my fiancee and I regularly get 40MPG in our Yaris on trips; we love this car. Butt can go numb on long trips though. :-D

I would have really preferred getting a stick though.
The EPA way under rates the Yaris. I easily do about 42 mpg highway and that's at realistic speeds (70 mph). At 55 mph, 45+ mpg is easy.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Another zany Mag-X rendering. That just looks like a blockier, chunkier version of the current Yaris. I doubt it will look like that.
Agreed. I've learned that a rendering never becomes reality.

With 6-speed autos, the Corolla and Yaris should both be able to get over 40 mpg highway easily, and that's without updating the engines.
As mentioned, the current 4-speed autos and 5MT's already get over 40 (in the Yaris). A 6-speed would bring it to over 45 in the real world but probably less on the EPA rating.
I realize though that you're referring to EPA estimates.
Old 03-12-10, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Is a hybrid going to come Yaris?

Old 03-12-10, 07:30 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is a hybrid going to come Yaris?
It's been rumored without confirmation. There's been talk of a hybrid Yaris or a hybrid compact based on the Yaris but with a different body which in effect will become the market's lowest priced hybrid.

Europe already has a Auris hybrid which is essentially that niche. But that car isn't intended for our side of the pond.

Yaris buyers like myself though will be hard to budge into a hybrid. We prefer simplicity and the bargain basement pricing that a regular Yaris offers. Simple math shows that it takes a car's lifetime to realize the gas savings (unless gas blows by $4/gal) over a conventional car.
Old 03-12-10, 05:51 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Yaris continues the winning recipe of the Tercel and Starlet that preceded it.

Build a well-engineered economy car that is very simple and cheap to maintain while charging very little for it.

Hybrids are none of that. With what a hybrid Yaris would cost, buyers would rather have a regular Corolla.

People like that they can get a set of tires for under $200, or an oil change that's only 3 quarts (Tercel 5E-FE engine, Yaris 1NZ-FE takes more @3.9). People like that the smaller tank is cheaper to fill, or that the insurance is less along with their car payments.

It's an attractive recipe for many, and works very well for them. A hybrid Yaris would not appeal to these people.

As for the redesigned Yaris, as long as they kill the bug eyes and go for a front end styled more like the current Corolla, it will be a home run in the economy segment.
Old 03-12-10, 06:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

A Yaris hybrid would work in two cases:

- if the hybrid got significantly better fuel economy than the gas version
- if the price was not that much more than the gas version

Maintenance is not an issue for hybrids. Hybrids actually require less maintenance in many cases than regular cars.

If Toyota can really get the price down for their hybrid system, and have worthwhile fuel economy gains, then a hybrid Yaris could work. Otherwise I don't see a lot of point to it.
Old 03-12-10, 06:14 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

A Yaris hybrid would work in two cases:

- if the hybrid got significantly better fuel economy than the gas version
- if the price was not that much more than the gas version

Maintenance is not an issue for hybrids. Hybrids actually require less maintenance in many cases than regular cars.

If Toyota can really get the price down for their hybrid system, and have worthwhile fuel economy gains, then a hybrid Yaris could work. Otherwise I don't see a lot of point to it.
I remember a few years ago there were rumors that the Yaris may get a new mild hybrid system. That would help with the price concerns, but of course I'm not sure if that rumor was/is even close to true.

Anyway we have the FT-Ch coming so a Yaris hybrid won't even be needed.

Old 03-12-10, 08:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I remember a few years ago there were rumors that the Yaris may get a new mild hybrid system. That would help with the price concerns, but of course I'm not sure if that rumor was/is even close to true.

Anyway we have the FT-Ch coming so a Yaris hybrid won't even be needed.

Toyota has been selling the Vitz (JDM Yaris model) mild hybrid since 2003 in Japan, with lithium ion batteries.

This Yaris hybrid I assume would be a full hybrid system, and in Japan the Vitz mild hybrid would get replaced.

A production version of the FT-Ch would be far bigger than a Yaris hybrid, more expensive, and would likely be part of a Prius sub-brand.

So in other words, two different vehicles.
Old 03-13-10, 07:55 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I like the Auris way more than the Yaris. It sucks that the Auris is not sold in N.A

61.9 miles per gallon (U.S.) with CO2 emissions of just 89 grams per kilometer and its 1.8L

If the Yaris can have the same specs and similar luxurious features I'd be happy.

Quick Reply: 2011 Toyota Yaris rendering and speculation