Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lexus IS (updated with test mule,page4)......

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 01:23 PM
LexFather

Quite frankly I think the looks of the IS/GS help overcome some shortcomings like interior space. Most people seem to think they are beautiful good looking cars. The LS also is very well done and finally has some style. THe ES also looks great.

The HS though, not so much.

Old 10-07-10, 01:55 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS looks great, the GS looks good, the LS looks good (wheels should be bigger though), the RX always sells so that doesn't matter, the SUV's i don't care much about, the HS and the new CT are a bit different but the CT isn't too bad. If they make a new SC and it looks good as with an updated IS and GS they'll be fine. Interest will be back in Lexus once new vehicles come out. You'll see.
Old 10-07-10, 02:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

What they need to do is stop making the cars uglier upon refresh
Old 10-07-10, 03:11 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

What cars might those be? None of their cars are uglier. The IS looks good, always has, the GS looks good and will probably look much better once it's new counterpart is here. The LS is aging just fine aside from the small wheels, it's a great car.
Old 10-07-10, 03:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

Well looks are subjective right? I liked the IS, ES, and LS looks at launch. With their subsequent refreshes, I think they've begun to take on the Toyota family resemblance way too much. The GS I have no problem with.
Old 10-07-10, 05:31 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone here; the IS is gorgeous despite its shortcomings (I own one!). The GS and LS pre-refresh were good looking vehicles. And the refreshes made them look worse and worse. I certainly chose the IS over the 3er and C-class because of looks. I do think however no one buys the newer line of Toyotas and Lexus because of looks. People buy Camry, Corolla etc because they are dependable and reliable, not because they look better than a Mazda 6, or a Civic. No one buys the RX because it looks better than the Q5 or the ML or the X5; they buy it because of reliability and excellent dealer service. That said, I recognize it is a sweeping generalization but one I feel holds a lot of truth.

I still don't agree with TRD Fantasy's description of good versus popular. Here is a quick and dry example: the Aston Martin DB9 is a popular design; a lot of people LIKE it. That doesn't mean it sells well. Period. I've said this maybe 10 or 12 times but I'll say it again: Just because a design sells well doesn't not mean it is GOOD or POPULAR; design is a single factor that people choose to take into account (or NOT) when purchasing a car.
Old 10-07-10, 07:23 PM
LexFather

^^^ Oh I agree with you. Honda, TOyota, Acura, BMW sold A TON of ugly cars and still do

I do think the refreshes busy things up but its not to bad.

Old 10-07-10, 08:40 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The only thing Lexus did was make the headlights a bit busy with the LS. I dont think any of the refreshes really messed up the basic flow of any of their cars. I'm just concerned with making the right size wheels for the LS!! 19's look tiny even. 20's are the standard for cars this big, even 21's aren't out of the question!
Old 10-07-10, 09:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I agree with everyone here; the IS is gorgeous despite its shortcomings (I own one!). The GS and LS pre-refresh were good looking vehicles. And the refreshes made them look worse and worse. I certainly chose the IS over the 3er and C-class because of looks. I do think however no one buys the newer line of Toyotas and Lexus because of looks. People buy Camry, Corolla etc because they are dependable and reliable, not because they look better than a Mazda 6, or a Civic. No one buys the RX because it looks better than the Q5 or the ML or the X5; they buy it because of reliability and excellent dealer service. That said, I recognize it is a sweeping generalization but one I feel holds a lot of truth.

I still don't agree with TRD Fantasy's description of good versus popular. Here is a quick and dry example: the Aston Martin DB9 is a popular design; a lot of people LIKE it. That doesn't mean it sells well. Period. I've said this maybe 10 or 12 times but I'll say it again: Just because a design sells well doesn't not mean it is GOOD or POPULAR; design is a single factor that people choose to take into account (or NOT) when purchasing a car.
Lexus owners in this thread alone have shown that they chose a Lexus with design being one of the main buying factors.

Go look on some Toyota forums, see how many actually bought Toyotas with design being among the main factors, and then come back and talk.

You can disagree with me, but the facts are the facts. Consumer design surveys don't lie. Tons of people on Lexus and Toyota forums also don't lie.

Lots of people buy Toyota and Lexus models with design being a main factor for them, whether you like it or not.

Your example has little relevance as the DB9 is an aspirational car; it is an exceptional case, not the norm. We are talking about cars here that most consumers can actually afford and cars that consumers buy on a daily basis. We are not talking about aspirational or dream cars.

I personally would buy a Corolla over a Mazda 6 or Civic based on styling alone. I'm obviously not the only one, as sales figures show many continue to choose a Corolla over a Civic or Mazda 6. Before you mention people buy Corollas because they are dependable and reliable, Civics also generally have a reputation of being dependable and reliable. Despite this, the Corolla consistently outsells the Civic in the US. Clearly, factors other than dependability and reliability are involved here.

I would also buy an RX over every other vehicle in the class except the Q5 and maybe the X5. I would easily buy an RX over an ML based on styling alone.
Old 10-08-10, 11:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I do think however no one buys the newer line of Toyotas and Lexus because of looks. People buy Camry, Corolla etc because they are dependable and reliable, not because they look better than a Mazda 6, or a Civic. No one buys the RX because it looks better than the Q5 or the ML or the X5; they buy it because of reliability and excellent dealer service. That said, I recognize it is a sweeping generalization but one I feel holds a lot of truth.

Couldn't have said it better myself! That's probably the biggest reason why people buy Toyota in general because of the reliability. Although some models look good, looks is most likely not the driving factor for many buyers.
Old 01-03-11, 12:59 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Searched but could not find more pictures. Anyone have any updated pics?
Old 01-03-11, 02:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^What a tease! I thought there was something new here!

You'd have a better chance of finding Osama Bin Laden than getting pics or info on the 4GS or 3IS, it seems.
Old 01-03-11, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

You'd have a better chance of finding Osama Bin Laden than getting pics or info on the 4GS or 3IS, it seems.
Man Osama pumped gas in my car last weekend

Old 01-03-11, 03:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ rofl!!
Old 02-26-11, 02:46 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

2013, 2014, Will be decision time for me. 3IS-F, or C7, have to wait and see how they look, and perform. The manufactures do a pretty good job of keeping secrets while seeming to promote speculation.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus IS (updated with test mule,page4)......