Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 04:59 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(psi - you should have added a warning and description - bitkahuna)

how to stop a Prius
(major NWS language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4Pt...layer_embedded

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-12-10 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-12-10, 05:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

See, and people like that are a huge problem for our society. Never mind him faking his Prius acceleration, why is he, and millions like him are allowed to freely roam the streets when they have so much debt? This is why our economy is quickly going down the drain pipe, because people are not paying off their debts.

He and others like him should be forced to do forced labor and live in concentration camps until their debts are paid off.
Old 03-12-10, 06:33 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

OMG! I thought this was fishy also...
Old 03-12-10, 06:42 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
He and others like him should be forced to do forced labor and live in concentration camps until their debts are paid off.
While I agree that people need to control their debts, I think you're being a little harsh. These are humans, we all make mistakes some make some pretty bad ones. That doesn't mean we should subject them to slavery.
Old 03-12-10, 07:45 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default interesting from Autospies.com

RUNAWAY Vehicles? Look At The Evidence So Far And Tell Us Who The REAL Victim Is?
Agent009 submitted on 3/11/2010 Official Bell & Ross Timestamp: 3:15:06 PM

27 user comments | Category: Misc News | Source: www.autospies.com

Yes we all know Toyota is going through probably the worst crisis ever in their history.

The press and the public is hypersensitive about anything Toyota right now.

For goodness sake I posted yesterday coming down on the side of Toyota and was immediately chastised as being critical of the automaker. Come on , I'm not that bad. It is true I am no fan of the company, however I do have a healthy respect for them. So when we had two case of two runaway Prius models in two days It really raised my concerns.

I had known that was going to happen I should have been in Vegas playing my odds. Now at first the San Diego runaway incident seem pretty clear cut. The video of the 911 call sure sounded damning. But again what are the odds of two runaway events in the midst of a huge public investigation? Something isn't right.

With no errors codes giving a trail of deception, it seemed to be pretty easy to fake such an event if there was ample motivation and if we had a competent driver. I voiced my concerns with the Spies and we took a wait and see attitude. After all this was getting press everywhere, and we would simply be piling on. In the mean time Jim Sikes the heroic driver of the out of control Prius, started appearing all over the evening news.

Was a case being built?

Our good friends over at Jalopnik must have been on the same trail and went as far as file a public record search on Mr Sikes. This uncovered an mountain of debt to the tune of $700,000 and a certain Toyota Prius that appears to be 5 month behind on payments. Hmm, the same Prius that almost killed him?

While I am in no way implying Mr Sikes did anything other than be in a car careening down the highway at 90 mph, it seems the rest of this story remains to be told.

Who is the REAL victim here, Mr Sikes or perhaps my Japanese nemesis? You tell us!

Last edited by GrdnRxR; 03-12-10 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-12-10, 08:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
While I agree that people need to control their debts, I think you're being a little harsh. These are humans, we all make mistakes some make some pretty bad ones. That doesn't mean we should subject them to slavery.
So let everyone else pay off their debt?
Old 03-12-10, 08:59 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Right. Punish him for being dishonest, not for carrying debt. There are many honest people who carry debt, just the same-- its part of life. How you manage it, is the difference.

If he is committing some type of fraud, then penalties should/will apply.
Old 03-12-10, 09:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Except--that when the 911 operator asked him if he tried to put the car in neutral, all he could say was "I'm trying to control the car." He was willing to try and reach down @ 90mph to unstick the gas pedal, but he's too nervous to reach over and put the car in neutral?

Does the Prius have the odd gearshift, like the HS250?
Yup, like the HS, the Prius gear selector is all electronically controlled. The only difference is the shift ****. Shift operation is exactly the same.

2010 Prius:

04-09 Prius:

2010 HS:
Old 03-12-10, 09:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't we been talking about this for 3 days in the recall thread?

This is the biggest hoax since the claim that humans cause global warming!
Old 03-12-10, 10:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Liars go to Hell because their souls are made of poo...
Old 03-12-10, 10:30 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is guy is full of ****. Look at him. Would you believe him? Just another dude going through a mid-life crisis.
Old 03-12-10, 10:34 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man toyots's phone is probably off the hooks during this recall,,,
Old 03-12-10, 10:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Right. Punish him for being dishonest, not for carrying debt. There are many honest people who carry debt, just the same-- its part of life. How you manage it, is the difference.

If he is committing some type of fraud, then penalties should/will apply.
Its one thing when people are carrying debt but paying it off, and quite another when people carrying debt and are filing bankruptcies to avoid paying their debt off, passing it off on the rest of the society.

People like that should be literally enslaved.
Old 03-12-10, 11:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its one thing when people are carrying debt but paying it off, and quite another when people carrying debt and are filing bankruptcies to avoid paying their debt off, passing it off on the rest of the society.

People like that should be literally enslaved.
True Och but credit card companies and other credit outlets should limit one's credit too.
Credit card companies give credit cards out like candy.A person with a average income could literally have 10 credit cards and car loans,store cards etc.
Old 03-12-10, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Not to get off topic but the biggest debt is not owned by individuals, it is companies, banks and entire COUNTRIES (us, Greece, etc).

Technically a bank has what 10% of the actual money it actually loans out. So they are in debt more than anyone!

Toyota has done the right thing and kept ample cash reserves....which are attractive for people to RAID in times like this.

Quick Reply: Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)