Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 11:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 790 Likes on 554 Posts

Just because they are giving them out doesn't mean you have to take them. In the end it comes down to personal responsibility. Something this country has been sorely lacking.
Old 03-12-10, 11:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Just because they are giving them out doesn't mean you have to take them. In the end it comes down to personal responsibility. Something this country has been sorely lacking.
Credit card companies should do a better credit check before issuing cards because people do not take personal responsibility.
Bankruptcy really doesn't hurt CC companies as much as people think.In the end we pay in some way.
Old 03-12-10, 11:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this is the the CC thread, lol.

But I thought the Prius driver making 911 call at speed and giving interviews left and right smelled fishy from day 1.
Old 03-12-10, 11:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Now this is the the CC thread, lol.

But I thought the Prius driver making 911 call at speed and giving interviews left and right smelled fishy from day 1.
I'll tie the CC's in.
Sikes owed about $70K on 3 CC's.
Old 03-12-10, 11:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'll tie the CC's in.
Sikes owed about $70K on 3 CC's.
Wow, that's how he bought the Vette and Prius.

He is quite the model citizen.
Old 03-12-10, 11:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 790 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Credit card companies should do a better credit check before issuing cards because people do not take personal responsibility.
Bankruptcy really doesn't hurt CC companies as much as people think.In the end we pay in some way.
Try as you might, you can't fix stupid. As Sikes is so vividly showing us
Old 03-12-10, 11:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, that's how he bought the Vette and Prius.

He is quite the model citizen.
I read on another forum he sold his Corvette 3 years ago.The guy definitely is in hock up to his **** and may have been looking for a settlement.
Read somewhere he was behind on the Prius payments which may or may not be true.
Old 03-12-10, 11:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Try as you might, you can't fix stupid. As Sikes is so vividly showing us

So true!
Old 03-12-10, 02:42 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Default BIG SURPRISE: Prius Scare was a hoax. Examining the media frenzy.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/12/toy...fumento_2.html

"On the very day Toyota was making a high-profile defense of its cars, one of them was speeding out of control," said CBS News--and a vast number of other media outlets worldwide. The driver of a 2008 Toyota Prius, James Sikes, called 911 to say his accelerator was stuck, he was zooming faster than 90 miles per hour and absolutely couldn't slow down.

It got far more dramatic, though. The California Highway Patrol responded and "To get the runaway car to stop, they actually had to put their patrol car in front of the Prius and step on the brakes." During over 20 harrowing minutes, according to NBC's report, Sikes "did everything he could to try to slow down that Prius." Others said, "Radio traffic indicated the driver was unable to turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral."

In fact, almost none of this was true. Virtually every aspect of Sikes's story as told to reporters makes no sense. His claim that he'd tried to yank up the accelerator could be falsified, with his help, in half a minute. And now we even have an explanation for why he'd pull such a stunt, beyond the all-American desire to have 15 minutes of fame (recall the "Balloon Boy Hoax" from October) and the aching need to be perceived as a victim.

The lack of skepticism from the beginning was stunning. I combed through haystacks of articles without producing such needles as the words "alleges" or "claims." When Sikes said he brought his car to a Toyota ( TM - news - people ) dealer two weeks earlier, recall notice in hand, and they just turned him away, the media bought that, too. In Sikes We Trust. Then the pundits deluged us with a tsunami of an anti-Toyota sanctimony .

Where to begin?

Well, the patrol car didn't slow down the Prius; the bumpers never touched. The officers used a loudspeaker to tell Sikes to use the brakes and emergency brake together. He did; the car slowed to about 55 mph. Sikes turned off the engine and coasted to a halt. He stopped the car on his own..... {MORE**

Basically, the guy is in deep dept, and Toyota is one of the people he owed money to.
Old 03-12-10, 03:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks dadoody, now that Forbes has that article, titled, "Toyota Hybrid Horror Hoax", it is getting picked up by more national news sources. http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/12/toy...l-fumento.html

Edmunds has a post: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...f-control.html

Was This Prius Really "Out of Control?"
By Ed Hellwig | March 9, 2010

Thankfully, the Prius was eventually brought under control without incident, but there are elements of the story that left us scratching our heads. In other words, this is BS.

For one, anybody that has ever driven a Prius knows that it never "jumps" forward no matter how hard you press the pedal. It ability to accelerate is so modest that we find it hard to believe that anyone would be startled by its thrust.

Secondly, this driver not only had time to call the police after it "ran out of control" he managed to drive the car for another 20 minutes until the police showed up. How out of control could the car have been if he was driving on a busy highway for nearly half an hour?
Right now, typing on Google News, the word "Prius" is first followed by "Prius hoax" as the most popular search option.
Old 03-12-10, 04:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope CHP will get this guy because of his 20 minutes 911 hoax called, police helicopter, a few of CHP patrol cars and shut down some part of the freeway. He really make CHP look like a bunch of fool.
The Corvette jacket is a sham to Corvette community.
One thing Sikes and Smith have in common.
Both cars (Lexus ES and Prius) were out of control at high speed( 100+ and 90+) for a few minutes,but no harm to the drivers or the car.
Both of them want to get out of their cars payment or behind on the payment.
Both of them had time to make a phone call either 911 or love one.
Both of them on national TV.
Both of them are LIAR.
Old 03-12-10, 04:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Toyota and the CHP sue him. Also I hope the DMV takes his license.
Old 03-12-10, 05:15 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My local nightly news actually reported this tonight.

This is a good step. It's the first time the mainstream media reported both sides of a story, not just the side that makes Toyota look bad.

Old 03-12-10, 06:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when and where is Sykes crucifixion scheduled? I would like to get tickets.
Old 03-12-10, 07:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what I want to come out is traffic cameras showing his vehicle and how it would not match a timeline of a car going 90 mph. That would completely own his story

Quick Reply: Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)