Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 11:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
It's ok, I merged it for you.

This jackass "runway Prius" owner probably wants publicity, he's getting it, but probably not the kind he wished.
Not sure if I missed it anywhere but any reason why Toyota isn't going after this idiot with legal matter?
Old 03-13-10, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Old 03-13-10, 02:10 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Not sure if I missed it anywhere but any reason why Toyota isn't going after this idiot with legal matter?
Toyota won't go after him but if it's proven he lied, the law will.
Old 03-13-10, 02:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Toyota won't go after him but if it's proven he lied, the law will.
Exactly and for many reasons, it's better that way.
Old 03-13-10, 03:48 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly and for many reasons, it's better that way.
NOPE. It's questionable whether Sikes broke any criminal laws. Therefore officials will likely do nothing. Toyota needs to make a lesson out of this liar in civil court.
Old 03-13-10, 03:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They definitely should weigh their options, but is there anything about wrongful misuse of police resources? Supposedly quite a bit of time and effort was expended by the CHP and emergency responders.
Old 03-13-10, 03:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

still means nothing. This is smelling of BS and a bit of a stretch, but just because he was having financial issues is not enough to prove crap. You guys are stretching things. This toyota crap wouldnt blow over even if he was full of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-13-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 03:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
NOPE. It's questionable whether Sikes broke any criminal laws. Therefore officials will likely do nothing. Toyota needs to make a lesson out of this liar in civil court.

like I said it will do nothing.
Old 03-13-10, 04:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
Agreed, it's questionable about whether laws are broken, let the authorities decide and take whatever action they see fit (even if it's none).

Good luck with that, I doubt Toyota will waste the time or incur the negative publicity associated with a civil suit, even if the dude self-incriminates.
Old 03-13-10, 04:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Official investigation questions Sikes' story

Investigation Raises Questions on Prius Incident
By KATE LINEBAUGH

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

A federal safety investigation of the Toyota Prius that was involved in a dramatic incident on a California highway last week found a particular pattern of wear on the car's brakes that raises questions about the driver's version of the event, three people familiar with the investigation said.

On Monday James Sikes, 61 years old, called 911 and told the operator his blue 2008 Toyota Prius had sped up to more than 90 miles per hour on its own on Interstate 8 near San Diego. He eventually brought the vehicle to a stop after a California Highway patrolman pulled alongside Mr. Sikes and offered help.

During and after the incident, Mr. Sikes said he was using heavy pressure on his brake pedal at high speeds.

But the investigation of the vehicle, carried out jointly by safety officials from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Toyota engineers, didn't find signs the brakes had been applied at full force at high speeds over a sustained period of time, the three people familiar with the investigation said.

The brakes were discolored and showed wear, but the pattern of friction suggested the driver had intermittently applied moderate pressure on the brakes, these people said, adding the investigation didn't find indicators of the heavy pressure described by Mr. Sikes.

Further details of the findings weren't available.

On Friday NHTSA officials declined to comment on the inspection and couldn't immediately be reached on Saturday.

Toyota spokesman Mike Michels said the company will release technical findings very soon and declined to comment further about the vehicle's brakes. Mr. Michels said the hybrid braking system used in the Prius would make the engine lose power if the brakes were pressed at the same time as the accelerator.

Mr. Sikes lawyer, John Gomez, said Saturday: "Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, it's clear that there is a problem with these cars. We're going to wait till the inspection is complete." He said that the California Highway patrolman involved in the incident said he saw the car's brake lights go on and that he smelled the brakes burning.

The investigation's findings aren't 100% conclusive and still must be finalized. But they are likely to cast doubt on how the situation was described by Mr. Sikes. The California Highway Patrol has said it has no reason not to believe Mr. Sikes, but questions have mounted in recent days, in part because the Prius has a type of technology that pulls back on the accelerator when the brake is engaged.

During the 911 call, the operator urged Mr. Sikes to shift the car into neutral. He later said he was afraid doing so might cause the car to "flip" or shift into reverse.

Mr. Sikes's Prius is subject to a recall by Toyota to prevent the driver's floor mat from pinning down the gas pedal that was announced in November and covers 5.4 million vehicles in the U.S.

Reports of unintended acceleration have prompted Toyota to recall more than six million vehicles in the U.S. and more than eight million world-wide. The recalls are aimed to fix the floor mat issue as well as gas pedals that can get stuck.
Time to call in the lie-detector!
Old 03-13-10, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

nice find. this guy is a crook.
Old 03-13-10, 05:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 03-13-10, 06:01 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very bad publicity for Corvette Club. " Mid-live crisis, bankrupt, **** website owner and can't handle pressure at 90 mph"...
Old 03-13-10, 06:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I still bet there is nothing toyota will be able to do
Old 03-13-10, 10:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
still means nothing. This is smelling of BS and a bit of a stretch, but just because he was having financial issues is not enough to prove crap. You guys are stretching things. This toyota crap wouldnt blow over even if he was full of it.
I still bet there is nothing toyota will be able to do
like I said it will do nothing.

Do you like to constantly repeat your point over and over? If Toyota does something about it, then they do. If not, everyone has learned a lesson here, Toyota, media and everyone involved in the matter. You made your point not just once, but 3 times. Majority agrees and it's plain fact, this guy is a crook.

Quick Reply: Bankrupt Runaway Prius Driver Faked "Unintended Acceleration?" Hoax Reports (merged)