Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car to memorize:Ford's new Taurus-based Police Interceptor revealed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 01:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
He may not be in law enforcement, but I am. Ive driven both cars to the limit and spend endless time in both vehicles. To each their own but the Charger is the better vehicle in all aspects. Just because you have "friends" with opinions that are LEO's doesnt mean much.
Nope but I am in the industry and constantly see both civilian and police versions in the shop for electrical quirks. Both have their pros and cons, but the fact of the matter is it takes longer to get a Charger back into revenue service because 1) of mechanical issues 2) if involved in collisions, unibody repairs take longer than those on a body-on-frame construction vehicle like the CVPI. It's easy to swap parts onto a CVPI from (especially front end )a donor car.

The Charger has a bit more leg room and almost identical shoulder room. The CV has been there and done that...its been tested and proved and I think thats why agencies continue to use them.
Many agencies use the CVPI because it is proven like you said. Sure it's out dated and a dog to drive, but it's easier to get one back on the road if it's in need of repair. Chargers are becoming popular in gov't fleets because they are cheap fleet cars.

Besides the Charger being superior....it looks so much better than the outdated Ford.
I'll have to agree with you on the aesthetic aspect of the Charger, but it's not superior in terms of quality or when you have the frame rails mashed 15mm because of a small collision. Chargers don't do well pushing and pulling cars on and off the road. Body-on-frame type of vehicles do.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-14-10 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-14-10, 03:55 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhh,, the car looks good;but in the long run I don't think that they will take off with the police force. Balto City used to use them, awhile back, and they quickly got rid of them. If you can't tell,, the city prtty much uses anything in the efforts of being proactive and modern.

Old 03-14-10, 06:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flipside909
do you work on them, I find techs always hate what they repair, cause you find and see everything wrong with them

I'm not in law enforcement, thought about it when I was in NY but just could not do it, I could never deal with people and their issues like cops have to
Old 03-14-10, 10:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
He may not be in law enforcement, but I am. Ive driven both cars to the limit and spend endless time in both vehicles. To each their own but the Charger is the better vehicle in all aspects. Just because you have "friends" with opinions that are LEO's doesnt mean much.

The Charger has a bit more leg room and almost identical shoulder room.
The CV has been there and done that...its been tested and proved and I think thats why agencies continue to use them.

Besides the Charger being superior....it looks so much better than the outdated Ford.
first hand experience is always better than second hand info. I would trust your opinion over that of a friend of a friend.
Old 03-14-10, 10:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
flipside909
do you work on them, I find techs always hate what they repair, cause you find and see everything wrong with them
The officers who drive them and report the issues complain as they have to drive an alternate car while their car is out of service for repairs.
Old 03-15-10, 01:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The officers who drive them and report the issues complain as they have to drive an alternate car while their car is out of service for repairs.
I have several cop friends, as far as I see they beat the hell out of the cars, my old man bought a caprice when chevy was king of the cop cars and he said except for the price it was beat to hell and back, whatever they get they test out and make damn sure it works, but modern and technology does not go hand and hand with some of the roughness these cops put the cars through.

Just realized, electrical problems, is that the installer who put all the cop accessories in the car or the car it's self, cause I know the issues with the LX models and they don't have electrical problems
Old 03-15-10, 04:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Houston and area police agencies are gearing up with new Chargers with a "stealth" paint scheme. Unless you get the light just right, there appear to be no markings. In fact, the Police identification is simply a reflective white graphic that is obvious in your headlights, but not with overhead street lighting.

However, if you fail to see the stocker steel wheels and the antenna farm in the back window, you probably deserve a ticket on general principles.
Old 03-15-10, 05:39 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Lil4X

However, if you fail to see the stocker steel wheels and the antenna farm in the back window, you probably deserve a ticket on general principles.
Or if you fail to see the spotlights, or the non body-color mirrors with strobes built in, or the CAGE IN THE BACK! The only time it's impossible to tell a police car is when all of the lights are hidden complete behind grills. Some of the police in the AZ areas are using these, and it can be quite disturbing to see one blow by, turn on the applause lights, and pull someone over. I rarely worry about it, but it's certainly interesting to see. They use Chargers, Impalas, Durangos, Expeditions, and I've seen a couple of Magnums, too.

As for the Taurus, I like the idea, but the maintenance will certainly require more expense, plus the training. They may be willing to trade off on it, though, based on fuel efficiency and the ability of the vehicle to use longer running oils. Will it be as roomy as the current one? Probably not.

Big Mack
Old 03-15-10, 05:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice car..
Old 03-15-10, 07:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Or if you fail to see the spotlights, or the non body-color mirrors with strobes built in, or the CAGE IN THE BACK! The only time it's impossible to tell a police car is when all of the lights are hidden complete behind grills. Some of the police in the AZ areas are using these, and it can be quite disturbing to see one blow by, turn on the applause lights, and pull someone over. I rarely worry about it, but it's certainly interesting to see. They use Chargers, Impalas, Durangos, Expeditions, and I've seen a couple of Magnums, too.

As for the Taurus, I like the idea, but the maintenance will certainly require more expense, plus the training. They may be willing to trade off on it, though, based on fuel efficiency and the ability of the vehicle to use longer running oils. Will it be as roomy as the current one? Probably not.

Big Mack
Here in ATL, the Chargers all have the aluminum wheels, but the Tauras will not be fuel efficient, lets not forget it is a V6 that will idle for many long hours, the only fuel efficients cop cars are the hybrid Altimas and Prius they use in NYC, I don't really know about downtown ATL
Old 03-15-10, 09:34 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
the Taurus will not be fuel efficient, lets not forget it is a V6 that will idle for many long hours,
I didn't say it would be extremely efficient like a hybrid, I said it would be 'more efficient' as in more than the V8 that the Crown Vic comes with. Trust me, I'm sure they'd be happy with getting 20 MPG on them as opposed to the 15-17 the Crowns get.

Big Mack