Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Kia Optima unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 02:41 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

overall proportions are great. I'd get this over the new sonata.

Looks like shreyer just took the shape of the audi a6, and tweaked it a little.

no crazy overdone creases and character lines. no bigass overhang.
has almost a rwd stance.

first time i've seen a glossy B-pillar on a cheap car.

i like the asymmetry of the dashboard.

+black roof/panoramic?

puts acura to shame and def gives luxury car styling a run for its money.

Just needs wheels. The jaguar style wheels look most appropriate.

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-02-10 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 11:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's with the chrome strip running along the D-pillar nearly to the trunk? First we had the chrome strip running all the way to the headlights on the new Sonata, and now this?

What's next? Will future Hyundai and Kia models have chrome strips everywhere? A/B/C/D pillars, and chrome strips running along the character lines?
Old 04-02-10, 12:14 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not a D-pillar thing.

the chrome strip runs the entire length, leading from the inside of the A-pillar to highlight the greenhouse.
Old 04-02-10, 12:33 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Diggin' it! I'd wouldn't mind it as a DD.
Old 04-02-10, 01:10 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What's with the chrome strip running along the D-pillar nearly to the trunk? First we had the chrome strip running all the way to the headlights on the new Sonata, and now this?

What's next? Will future Hyundai and Kia models have chrome strips everywhere? A/B/C/D pillars, and chrome strips running along the character lines?

looks great to me.

by far the most improved car in my recent memory. looks nothing like today's bland midsize sedan, looks like it's good enough to be a 40k car just looking at the exterior.

Last edited by joe80; 04-02-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 01:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
it's not a D-pillar thing.

the chrome strip runs the entire length, leading from the inside of the A-pillar to highlight the greenhouse.
I know it highlights the greenhouse, but my point is WHY does it run along the D-pillar nearly to the trunk? It just looks tacky IMHO.
Old 04-03-10, 03:17 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I know it highlights the greenhouse, but my point is WHY does it run along the D-pillar nearly to the trunk? It just looks tacky IMHO.
Agreed. I wish it were toned down a bit.
Old 04-06-10, 08:33 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
They both look bland and boring, I don't know what you're so excited about.
As opposed to the bland/boring Toyota/Lexus styling?

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A decent offering, if still quite unoriginal. Kind of getting tired of these Korean companies either copying everything out there or totally changing their design theme with each new redesign. This kills brand resale and admits to constant failure.
Yeah, I'm sure Peter Schreyer, generally regarded as one of the top auto designers, and the originator of the Bauhaus-influenced design language at Audi really needs to copy.

If anything, most other automakers have borrowed from Schreyer's work (case in point, all the Audi-inspired taillights on Honda/Acura models).

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But it's in the details they are most lost. Kia's new corporate grille doesn't cut it. It's uneven, out of balance, busy, and has no class. The whole thing looks like the uneven road surface symbol of a construction sign or a lego block. How is the shape of a lego elegant? And these rims are hard on the eyes. Are the spokes the same? Are they staggered? Why make them staggered if they almost look the same thickness? It takes too much time for the eye to figure this all out. Lastly, there is way too much going on with the LED strip and foglight. Either integrate them all into one module or have one or the other. Stacking them ontop each other is rundundant and overdone. Is this the genious thinking of that heralded Audi designer? I am disappointed.
Again, it's the details. GM makes the same mistakes with their cars.
Gee, I wonder what you have to say about recent Toyota/Lexus design-work such as the HS, the RX and the refreshed Avalon.

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Acura headlights, Honda grille, Mercedes fogs
Aside from the fact that rectangular shaped headlights have been commonplace on autos for decades, the headlights on the Optima can be differentiated from those on Acura models by the distinct downward angle - as found in other models/brands such as the Ford Fusion, Saab 9-3 and current Lexus RX - all of which were predated by the Kia Kue concept.

As for the grill, its been used on Hyundai/Kia concepts since 2004.

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol why would hyundai give the Kia brand LED fronts before giving its more upscale nameplate the LEDs...
Aside from the fact that Hyundai has the Genesis and Equus models, the rest of Hyundai isn't really more upscale than Kia.

The Optima is also getting things like heated and cooled front seats which the Sonata does not have.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Isn't this car based on the Genesis chassis?
The K7/Cadenza is FWD and reportedly is supposed to have a Haldex AWD option.

The K9, however, will be built on a shortened Genesis platform.
Old 04-06-10, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Yeh

You are bumping Hyundai/Kia threads to be argumentative and just defend Hyundai/Kia while making a ridiculous comment on Lexus in your first sentence.

Closed. We don't need people coming in here just to post in Hyundai/Kia threads just sling poo.