Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi introduces a more-affordable A5.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 10:44 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
so you want to imagine how much more the rs5 would cost in the US compared to the m3? that would again make my point.

i know very well what the s5 is for, that's exactly why i put the 335 in for comparison as well. basically it's two folds. same performance/comfort but different price, or same price but different performance

i can most definitely see your point on comparing quattroporte to m5, valid, different buyers of different status. but are you trying to say that audi a5/s5 buyers are bmw 3/m3 buyers are having the same kind of difference in status? not sure if i agree with that. and i don't even see that kind of brand image difference between audi/bmw vs maserati/bmw
My point was that the cars were designed with different goals in mind.

I would also disagree with you on saying they share the same level of comfort (BMW's 335 not even coming close to Audi's S5, and the M3 doesn't really improve on the 335 on that regard), but that's pretty subjective anyways.

The 335 (or M3) is definitely the driver's car, but the Audi is for the guy who commutes every day.
Old 03-15-10, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
My point was that the cars were designed with different goals in mind.

I would also disagree with you on saying they share the same level of comfort (BMW's 335 not even coming close to Audi's S5, and the M3 doesn't really improve on the 335 on that regard), but that's pretty subjective anyways.

The 335 (or M3) is definitely the driver's car, but the Audi is for the guy who commutes every day.
sure, could be. but i guess the hard fact is how the a5/s5 are being compared to other models from competitions. me personally, i would be interested in seeing whether the car will be compared to the e coupe, or the c coupe when it comes out. it could be that audi designed the car with different goals in mind, but in the end, the consumers determine how the cars go. i am definitely not the only person comparing these cars together and time and time i see the same comparison. it's a difference between goal and reality
Old 03-16-10, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I agree that BMW is still the Ultimate Driving Machine (and, arguably, among mass-produced vehicles, the world's best steering/ride/handling combo in the chassis), but Audis, in recent years, have gotten very close.
Old 03-16-10, 09:42 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...but reliability of the electronics and hardware has been spotty, and non-warranty service can be relatively expensive.
That's the single thing keeping me from getting an Audi, and I do think other than some exotics, they have the most beautiful designs on the road today.
Old 03-16-10, 09:44 AM
Dez
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I see them so rarely. Whats wrong with them. I see 3 series cars all over the place but the Audi A5 is like a shooting star in AZ
For the styling and the price and the specs, the drive is not what you think. Just gotta drive it to understand. It's not up to par.
Old 03-16-10, 01:48 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The A5 2.0T was my third choice when I shopped for my new car last November. The same reason why my 2nd choice 370Z was rejected, it was relatively cheap in no-options form, but pushes close to 50k with the options I wanted (my 370Z build came out to over 40k on a 30k car).

It's a great car, but close to 50k for a 2.0T, I didn't feel it was worth the money.
Old 03-16-10, 05:41 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have to cover the front and wheels to notice the blandness.

not a very sexy shape. Almost looks like a melted dodge challenger

Old 03-16-10, 06:51 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you have to cover the front and wheels to notice the blandness.

not a very sexy shape. Almost looks like a melted dodge challenger

Could you please do this to many more cars? I am willing to bet that nearly all cars look bland with the grill and wheels cut off. Probably the only ones that would look good would have boy racer skirts and grills all over the place. I could be wrong, but I am really curious. Please try to keep the colors a bland silver as well to keep apples to apples.
Old 03-16-10, 07:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So what will the 2888 lb. A5 cost?
Old 03-16-10, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
So what will the 2888 lb. A5 cost?
As I stated in the opening thread, base 2.0T models will start between 36 and 37K. Loaded S5 models, of course, can run far higher....up to 60K or more. And I doubt that many A5s will tip the scales at 2888 lb......even FWD four-cylinder models will likely be over 3000, as the 3.2L model is officially listed at 3595.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 07:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

As I stated in the opening thread, base 2.0T models will start between 36 and 37K. Loaded S5 models, of course, can run far higher....up to 60K or more. And I doubt that many A5s will tip the scales at 2888 lb......even FWD four-cylinder models will likely be over 3000, as the 3.2L model is officially listed at 3595.
It looks likely that the U.S. will see a 3000 lb. A5. But the cost of the weight saving materials is yet to be seen.

Taking weight out of a modern car can be tricky: Crash regulations have necessitated heavier structures, emissions laws have forced additional complexity into vehicles, and amenities have added dozens of electronic control units and untold miles of cable. Many automakers, however, are now experimenting with shedding pounds as a means to maintain performance despite the current trend toward engine downsizing. To illustrate the potential of this approach, Audi engineers set out to create an A5 2.0T that weighs 500 pounds less than a 3400-pound Euro-spec A5 V-6 model (U.S. versions weigh roughly 200 to 300 pounds more due to options and higher levels of standard equipment).

The result is an A5 coupe that, according to Audi, tips the scales at a svelte 2888 pounds despite retaining the 2.0-liter’s heavy iron block.

Audi let us compare a stock A5 3.2 FSI, equipped with the 265-hp V-6, against the lightweight concept with the 2.0-liter engine dialed back from 258 pound-feet of torque to deliver the same 243 as the V-6. We can attest to the fact that a 500-plus-pound reduction makes for a stunning dynamic improvement. Turn-in becomes more agile, the car can be tossed around with ease, and the 211-hp engine feels far stronger than its numbers suggest.

A regular A5 3.2 FSI seems downright clumsy in comparison. Audi claims the lightweight concept is 0.3 second quicker to 60 mph than the V-6. In our testing, the A5 V-6 ran from zero to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds, so we expect the lightweight concept to hit 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, a 0.7-second improvement over a standard A5 2.0T.

Audi originally intended the concept to emulate the performance of the V-8–powered, 354-hp S5, but, despite the weight loss, the concept still can’t match the S5’s acceleration. We understand that a second concept is currently being built—and we wouldn’t be surprised if this one was equipped with the 265-hp, 2.0-liter turbo four from the TTS. With that much power, the four-cylinder lightweight just might be able to trounce the S5’s V-8.

Most “efficiency” concepts make us dread the future; this one gives us hope.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rototype_drive
Old 03-16-10, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It looks likely that the U.S. will see a 3000 lb. A5. But the cost of the weight saving materials is yet to be seen.
That would (probably) require a lot of aluminum in the structure.....like on the big-brother A8 and Jaguar XJ. And aluminum is expensive.....one reason, among several, why the A8 costs big $$$$$. It might (?) also involve removing some equipment that customers would want......maybe even the Quattro hardware.
Old 03-16-10, 08:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That would (probably) require a lot of aluminum in the structure.....like on the big-brother A8 and Jaguar XJ. And aluminum is expensive.....one reason, among several, why the A8 costs big $$$$$. It might (?) also involve removing some equipment that customers would want......maybe even the Quattro hardware.
With Audi investing in hybrids, diesels, and electrics to meet CAFE standards it doesnt seem likely that they would sacrafice features of Quattro to do so in a concept. This tech. has been spoken of with little detail for a couple years now. Glad to see something surface and with real weight savings.

But yes, I would put money down that alot of alluminum is involved.
Old 03-16-10, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

i am very glad to see light weight. but when so much aluminum, would that drive up the cost even more?
Old 03-17-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i am very glad to see light weight. but when so much aluminum, would that drive up the cost even more?
Yes and crash repair costs are really something else too.

Quick Reply: Audi introduces a more-affordable A5.