Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi introduces a more-affordable A5.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Audi introduces a more-affordable A5.

I've been a big fan of the A5's looks for some time now, and, while styling is subjective, consider it (arguably) the best-looking coupe currently available in the American market, though a couple of others, IMO, come close, like the Mustang and Challenger.

But the A5, of course, is not a cheap product, especially in S5 trim, with its standard V8. Recently, however, a new, more-affordable (but still not inexpensive) 2.0T version was introduced, starting at $36,825, though options, of course, can push it well ove 40K. What's more, Audi makes the superb Quattro system available with this engine in the A5....something that VW/Audi SHOULD do in more of their vehicles and don't (I've complained about that before).

A CL search showed one or two prior threads showing a Car & Driver comparison test with some potential rivals, but I came across this Road and Track article tonight while reading the magazine, written by Matt Delorenzo, one of the magazine's staff writers/testers. It was informative enough (and different enough) that I felt it warranted a new thread. Road & Track has added a 2010 2.0T Quattro A5 6-speed manual to their long-term test group, which also includes a 2010 VW Golf TDI.

I have reviewed the S5 itself, with the V8, and haven't driven the less-expensive V6 A5 and 2.0T A5, but I can tell you, from my experience with the 2.0T in other VW/Audi products, that it is an excellent powerplant, and has long been one of my favorite in-line 4's for responsiveness. I've felt that the torque figures in the ones I've reviewed have probably been underrated. R&T got a 6.2 second 0-60 time, which is pretty good for a 4-cylinder coupe this size with AWD, which adds both weight and drag. But the relative lightness of the engine and front end helped make for some pretty good handling and slalom figures, despite the AWD's weight.

Here's the article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...5-2.0t-quattro

One of the most handsome coupes to come along in recent memory is the Audi A5 and while it appeals to our aesthetic senses, it also comes at a price, bumping up close to $50,000. To move the affordability needle back the other way, Audi has introduced the 2.0T version powered by a 211-bhp turbocharged four as an entry-level model with a base sticker price of $36,825.

Although it gives away 54 horses to its 3.2-liter V-6 sibling, the A5 2.0T with the standard 6-speed manual transmission doesn’t feel as down on power as you’d expect with just a four-pot engine under the hood. In our testing, the all-wheel-drive car scooted to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, just 0.7 sec. off the V-6. And it actually exhibited more grip by pulling 0.94g on the skidpad and hitting 68.9 mph through the slalom, bettering the 0.91g and 67.1 mph of the more expensive model, most likely due to the fact the 2.0T weighs almost 100 lb. less.

As a result, the car feels lively and it’s quite entertaining to row through the silky smooth 6-speed gearbox. A later drive in the much more expensive and heavier cabrio version also revealed that the 6-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission didn’t sap as much spirit from the car as I expected.

There’s little that distinguishes the 2.0T from V-6 models. However, if you want the full LED exterior light treatment and such interior goodies as navigation, you’ll pay almost V-6 prices—these two option packages accounted for $6000 of our test car’s $45,150 sticker. We’d dispense with those appearance items and amenities, but would insist on the sport package, which for $1450 gets the attractive 19-in. wheels and tires, front sport seats and sport suspension. It not only makes the A5 look smart, but also a smart buy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-10 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 08:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

very nice write up.. I'm a big fan of the A5 myself but your right Audi has priced this once again very high. Glad to see a more affortable A5 is available while keeping the same quality as Audi is known for..
Old 03-14-10, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
very nice write up..
Thanks. .......and thanks to R&T's Matt Delorenzo for his part, too.

I'm a big fan of the A5 myself but your right Audi has priced this once again very high.
Yep, "afforable" can sometimes be a relative term.

Glad to see a more affortable A5 is available while keeping the same quality as Audi is known for..
Audi DOES have quality sheet metal, interiors, fit/finish, and some of the best trim materials in their class, but reliability of the electronics and hardware has been spotty, and non-warranty service can be relatively expensive.
Old 03-14-10, 09:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a good move on Audis part; right now I think (most non-car) people think Audi = sedan
Old 03-14-10, 10:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a hard time believing that they clocked an almost 2 tons car in the low 6's to 60 with a car that only has 211 hp. Even with AWD launch it seems like a stretch.
Old 03-14-10, 11:23 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A5 in white is sexy.
Old 03-14-10, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I see them so rarely. Whats wrong with them. I see 3 series cars all over the place but the Audi A5 is like a shooting star in AZ
Old 03-14-10, 11:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I see them so rarely. Whats wrong with them. I see 3 series cars all over the place but the Audi A5 is like a shooting star in AZ

i guess not everyone likes it. plus it's damn overpriced.

i think it looks like a big bland brick.

front and rear are indistinguishable from any other audi sedan.

a truly beautiful car looks beautiful stock..... before the kits and wheels and crap
Old 03-14-10, 11:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't see them that often in my area either.. like i said the A5/S5 is priced pretty high for a coupe. I think people rather get something more affortable.. Thats why you see more bimmers, infinitis, etc.. rather than Audi..
Old 03-15-10, 12:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its funny when a BMW seems like a steal, especially when they do not have the same rep for performance or handling for that matter
Old 03-15-10, 12:08 AM
Milla...

Most see it as bland an pricey,
might as well Just get a bimmer. To some I think Audi is just an overpriced vw.

Last edited by Milla...; 03-15-10 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-15-10, 06:07 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Hmmm... interesting info Mike, you know my affinity for the S5... the A5 pulled a 6.5 with the 3.2 so these are VERY interesting stats.... was by the dealer the other day and 2 S5 in black have been sitting almost 2 months now...

and yes, it is STUNNING in white
Old 03-15-10, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good move by Audi (I read about it earlier) and IMO now the best-looking premium coupe for the money.
Old 03-15-10, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Probably a good move on Audis part; right now I think (most non-car) people think Audi = sedan

Yes, true to some extent. Audi's Q5 and Q7 SUV's have not gotten the publicity that BMW and Mercedes SUVs have....that also helps reinforce the idea of Audi being primarly a maker of sedans and coupes.
Old 03-15-10, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have a hard time believing that they clocked an almost 2 tons car in the low 6's to 60 with a car that only has 211 hp. Even with AWD launch it seems like a stretch.
No, I don't think it is a stretch. Though I don't carry a stopwatch with me on test-drives, I've said before that the HP/torque on this engine is (probably) underrated. This is an excellent powerplant...and it shows.

Quick Reply: Audi introduces a more-affordable A5.